Speaker Size??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Size???

thekid
08-05-2005, 06:24 AM
I know this is a really novice question but........

My reciever and DVD set-up both have a feature regarding speaker size. You can select large or small but they really do not have any guidelines for what determines whether a speaker is large or small. Speakers obviously come in a variety of sizes so what constitutes large or small? Is there a more "technical" definition for speaker size that will help me set the correct size in the future? My current configuration is Bose 201's in the front and a VCS-10 center channel. I have a Panasonic HE-75 for the reciever. Any tips on how the speakers should be set?

kexodusc
08-05-2005, 06:39 AM
If you don't have a subwoofer they should be set to "large".
You're right, the size nomenclature is quite misleading. This setting refers to the full-range ability of your speakers. Most speakers with frequency responses that only go down to 40-60 Hz would not be considered full range. Many physically large floorstanders aren't full-range in terms of bass extension either.

This setting adjusts the receiver's crossover. Selecting "Large" sends all signals to the speakers, and LFE to the sub if selected. Selecting "Small" only sends frequencies above the crossover to the speakers...this xo point is usually 80 to 100 Hz or so. The sub handles the rest.

thekid
08-05-2005, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the reply/info!!

I forgot to mention I have a Sony SA-WM 200 sub 80watts and a range of 50hz-170hz. So if I understand your answer I should set the speakers to small and set the sub at 80hz-100hz. Since the center channel mainly handles dialogue/vocals would it be best to set it to large since it does not really handle any bass.

kexodusc
08-05-2005, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the reply/info!!

I forgot to mention I have a Sony SA-WM 200 sub 80watts and a range of 50hz-170hz. So if I understand your answer I should set the speakers to small and set the sub at 80hz-100hz. Since the center channel mainly handles dialogue/vocals would it be best to set it to large since it does not really handle any bass.

I think the subwoofer actually goes lower than 50 Hz, I could be wrong on that unit. I would set the center channel to "small" as well. You'd be surprised, center channels handle much more than just dialogue, alot of the front soundstage info is produced by the center channel.
You should actually crank the subwoofers crossover all the way to the maximum. Your receiver will re-direct bass to the sub from all the speakers at around 80 to 100 Hz (whatever it is, let's assume 100 Hz for starters). Make sure all speakers are set to small. Having the sub's xo above 100 Hz won't hurt anything at all, in fact the higher the better on the sub. The reciever isn't sending info from 100 Hz and up to the subwoofer, so the fact that the sub's crossover is above 100 Hz is irrelevant. The key here is you're relying on the receiver's crossover instead of the subs. You wouldn't want the two crossovers working against each other.

thekid
08-05-2005, 07:58 AM
THANKS AGAIN!!!
I will make the adjustments per your recommendations!

I think a lot of speaker/reciever companies would benefit from putting the info you and the links have supplied regarding settings in their owners manuals. I am sure there are a lot of people out there with incorrect settings and they end up blaming the equipment. It would seem to be in the manufactures best interests to supply a small info guide regarding basic set up so that the optimum performance is achieved

kexodusc
08-05-2005, 09:35 AM
THANKS AGAIN!!!
I will make the adjustments per your recommendations!

I think a lot of speaker/reciever companies would benefit from putting the info you and the links have supplied regarding settings in their owners manuals. I am sure there are a lot of people out there with incorrect settings and they end up blaming the equipment. It would seem to be in the manufactures best interests to supply a small info guide regarding basic set up so that the optimum performance is achieved

Welcome to the crowd..we've been saying this for years. I don't know if it's a language thing when items are produced overseas, or the fact that the engineer/enthusiast types who make the equipment take all their features for granted as being easy to figure out?

Denon's in particular are known for being very good at what they do, but with pretty cryptic manuals.