help me choose please. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : help me choose please.

marrman
08-04-2005, 06:12 PM
between a Velodyne dps-10 and SVS pb10-isd. Are these subs even comparable? I can get the velodyne now, or would it be worth it to wait on the SVS? Thanks in advance for any input. oh. it will about 50/50 on music and movie use. Well........ maybe a little more on the movie side.

PAT.P
08-04-2005, 07:44 PM
between a Velodyne dps-10 and SVS pb10-isd. Are these subs even comparable? I can get the velodyne now, or would it be worth it to wait on the SVS? Thanks in advance for any input. oh. it will about 50/50 on music and movie use. Well........ maybe a little more on the movie side.
On the review side they put SVS and HSU in the same league .There are plenty more good sub like Paradigm,Energy ect .You might want to built your own DIY kits if your up for the challenge.Pat.P

drseid
08-05-2005, 01:35 AM
If the size and looks are OK with you, then the SVS would be a good way to go here. They can hold their own in the music department, but they *really* shine with HT material. I would say the SVS would deliver the better bang for the buck.

---Dave

Worf101
08-05-2005, 06:20 AM
Don't overlook HSU. I've installed 3 in other folks systems and use two of em myself and they are great moderately priced but well made subs.

Da Worfster :cool:

marrman
08-06-2005, 07:56 PM
I would like to add one more sub to the mix. After reading another post on subs, I went to the parts express web site and checked out some of the kit subs. How would the Dayton TITSK-10K TITANIC MKIII 10" ($349)sub kit perform up against the two subs mentioned before?

Florian
08-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Don't overlook HSU. I've installed 3 in other folks systems and use two of em myself and they are great moderately priced but well made subs.

Da Worfster :cool:
Any chance that HSU makes two subs that "REALISTICALLY" could gimme 22Hz down to 14Hz at a good level (above 90db)?

-Flo

shokhead
08-07-2005, 04:14 AM
HSU and SVS both do.

Geoffcin
08-07-2005, 04:35 AM
Any chance that HSU makes two subs that "REALISTICALLY" could gimme 22Hz down to 14Hz at a good level (above 90db)?

-Flo

The only sub that I know of that can deliver 14hz at above 90dB is the Velodyne Signature 1812. Output like this is pretty much usless for audio, as no recordings have energy at that frequency. Have you decided to get into HT?

Geoffcin
08-07-2005, 05:00 AM

I trust this Audioholics reviewer, and he doesn't pull any punches.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/VelodyneDPS-10SubwooferReviewp1.php

The SVS gets a good review from Ed Mullen, another reviewer that I trust.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/svs-pb10-subwoofer-10-2004.html

As great as the anechoic response of the SVS is (SVS uses a custom equalization circuit), in-room response is something else entirely. The Velodyne give you adjustable responce contours, albeit only four preset ones. The SVS has no vairable hinge filter for the bandpass, so you will have to use your receiver. For HT applications this is not a problem, but if you are running the main speakers full range it might be.

All other things being equal, the SVS is a more powerful unit, and can go deeper.
If it were my choice, I would get the SVS.

Florian
08-07-2005, 05:10 AM
The only sub that I know of that can deliver 14hz at above 90dB is the Velodyne Signature 1812. Output like this is pretty much usless for audio, as no recordings have energy at that frequency. Have you decided to get into HT?
No, i am just a tad bored. I thought id extent the range. Maybe a Analog Setup next...gotta think about it.

shokhead
08-07-2005, 05:52 AM
Analog? Analog? Oh,i remember that. Its all we had as a kid growing up in Long Beach. What ever happened to that Analog stuff? LOL

marrman
08-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the links, they were very informative. I am going to wait and save $$ for the SVS or HSU.
I think that both will a great choice for my price range.