Recording an External DVD from your DVR 5.1 Sound Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recording an External DVD from your DVR 5.1 Sound Question

EdwardGein
08-04-2005, 04:16 PM
I finally have an HD DVR From Time Warner Cable that records in 5.1 sound & lets me make external DVD copies, the HD Scientific Atlanta 8300. What I don't understand is when I record from this onto a DVD standalone recorder via regular RCA cables (2 audio, 1 video), will I still have 5.1 sound recorded on the DVD? Even though the DVD recorder Lite on 5001 records 5.1, I don't see a digital input on the DVD recorder and the external outs on the DVR are left & right audio optputs. Can you still get 5.1 sound through just left & right analogue connections? Any answers appreciated.

N. Abstentia
08-04-2005, 05:49 PM
No, if you're using analong connections you'll get analog audio, not 5.1 digital.

EdwardGein
08-04-2005, 09:02 PM
No, if you're using analong connections you'll get analog audio, not 5.1 digital.

OK I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying but are there DVR's that let you copy 5.1 sound to a DVD recorder?

N. Abstentia
08-05-2005, 09:30 AM
I don't know if there are any available that will do that, I don't follow DVD recorders so I couldn't answer that question. I'd kinda like to know myself, it would be neat to make a 'demo DVD' with full 5.1 sound just by recording the specific scenes you want. Of course I guess then you'd need a DVI connection for video so you don't lose video quality. That don't sound like a cheap unit :)

I just know you can't do 5.1 digital with stereo analog cables. If you do find one you'd have to use a digital optical or coax cable.