Terminology [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Terminology

bobnf
08-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Terminology

upon reading the Denon 5800 operating instructions I come across a couple terms I don't know, can someone bring me up to speed on these terms. Thanks in advance.

The instructions say... "Multi-zone 1 is a pre-out with an output level adjustment function." (what is the pre-out role in this?)

"Multi-zone 2 is a fixed output level pre-output." (what does this mean on a practical level?)

I am setting up so I can play outdoor speakers from another input.

Thanks much
Bobnf

Woochifer
08-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Sounds like the Zone 1 output can go directly to an amplifier with the volume controlled through the 5800. The Zone 2 output sounds like you need a receiver/integrated amplifier hooked up because the level is not controlled through the 5800. The output that you use depends on how you intend to hook up the multizone setup. If you want the volume controlled using the 5800, then use the Zone 1 output. If you will have another receiver/amplifer somewhere else and you want to use it to set the volume, then go with the Zone 2 output.

bobnf
08-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks, managing this home theatre is a major learning experience. Your input helps bring it all together.

Still some oddities with the 5800... there are no zone 1 speaker outputs.... strange to me. Zone 1 out must be thru a different output other than speakers to another amp/reciever. If it goes directly to an amp, I cant imagine the 5800 controlling the volume.

It says zone 2 is a fixed out, but I tested it and it can control the volume thru the denon. hmmmm.