Just Incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Just Incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oddeoowphil38
08-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Hello people just wanted to let you all know just how awesome Ed Frias is. As many of you know I am kinda new to the DIY club so to speak. But, I sure have learned a lot especially from the likes of Kex and Ed Frias himself. Just to give you an example of Ed's genorosity, I have been pondering the "idea" of making some slight modifications to the AR.coms X-over design. Not so much so in the design but rather the quality of the components being employed. In other words, use much more expensive caps and inductors. Ed took the time to explain to me that using much more expensive components will change the over all effiency of his original design and as such yield unwanted results. Hence, the AR.com kit will not sound as natural and lively. Over the last several weeks Ed has answered each and every one of my questions and explains them in such a way that is easy to comprehend. He has never once talked down to me or been pushy in any shape form or fashion. I have grown to trust his advice to the point that I will now be doing business with Ed very soon. He has earned my business and I highly recommend that you all take a look at what he has to offer. You will come away surprised and certainly not be dissapointed. The funny thing is Ed does not receive .01 of his award winning AR.com kit design yet it is the #1 seller at Madisound. Furthermore, Ed still took time to answer each question I have had about his design. This shows his committment to maintaining a high level of professionalism that many only dream of. Thank you Ed for being "good honest people" if you know what I mean.
Phil

kexodusc
08-04-2005, 03:33 AM
Hi Phil.

You sure do seem excited. The Ar.com kit is very good bang for the buck, and is a great first project. I've met a lot DIY-ers who got introduced to the hobby through Ed's design, all thankful for his willingness to answer all questions. This, I think is Ed's biggest contribution. Giving back to the hobby/business.

I think the idea of using higher quality, higher grade parts isn't really a great one in this case.
At $175 or so for the pair, you have to keep in mind that using higher grade components would really skew the pricing. This combined with that fact that real world performance gains in higher quality xo components are difficult to produce on a consistent basis from design to design (some designs benefit, some don't), it's hard for me to believe it's an effective allocation of resources in this case.

Sooo..have you settled on anything yet?

oddeoowphil38
08-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Yes Kex it looks like I will be going with either the T-22's or the T-20's. They are both 8 ohm and will work fine with my Yammie. The T-22CF's are 4 ohm speakers and as you know create a lot of problems for my Yammie. It will as always depend on my budget. Right now I am in the process of moving which is quite expensive. It may be a while before I am back on line. I ordered my services the other day and was told it would be the 15th before they can get to me. This blows---was hoping to get reconnected much sooner. Anyways, I will still get me a set of AR.coms sooner or later. Have a good one Kex. Will be in touch with you as soon as I am back on line.
Phil

JohnMichael
08-15-2005, 01:40 PM
I agree that the Audio Review forums are excellent. I have also learned a lot from Ed and Kex. They are two contributors whose posts I always read. I have learned a lot and shared a little. I am glad I found this site.