JVC Crisis [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JVC Crisis

Yoda
08-03-2005, 02:50 PM
I have a really important question.

Does anyone know about the JVC-RXDP15BK? It is the second in line flagship receiver for JVC (I know they are not known for receivers). They use Texas Instrument Chips and are THX Ultra II Certified. It has 120 Watts per channel (7.1) with multiple other features. It seems comparable to higer end Denons and Onkyos but I am still confused. I can get this brand new receiver for $999.99 by a certified dealer and fits in my budget.

This receiver is for a Home Theatre with a front projector and 106" screen and large room. I either want to use Polk Audio LSI series speakers or Jamo..still trying to figure out wwhich speaker line...(any suggestions on this would alo be helpful).

Any feedback or opinions would be GREAT!!

nick4433
08-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Yoda, don't seem to know the answer, hmmmm? (LOL)
The JVC in question is a very good unit and will serve you well. Again, many will come with their suggestions that for $999 you can do this or that but something tells me you like something about this receiver and that is the KEY.
You said you can get it from an authorised dealer which means he will take it back within 30 days should you not like the sound.
I have tried the JVC-8030BK or something similar as a prepro and felt it did a pretty good job. The only thing missing on that receiver was an external power supply to add more components but the one which you are after will sure have that feature.
The JVC-RXDP15BK has some very healthy specs and definitely looks like an upper echelon receiver and gets my thumbs up.

Yoda
08-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Thank you so much...I appreciate your review. I'm kinda new at this and just wanted to make sure.

Will these work well with Jamo D6PTX??

swgiust
08-04-2005, 08:43 AM
I currently own the RXDP10 reciever and love it. It has the features that you need and
a great onscreen menu that makes set up easy. I think for the money they are great
pieces of audio gear.

Yoda
08-04-2005, 07:28 PM
Awesome, thanks for your feedback. This further reassures that I have made a good decision!

kfalls
08-05-2005, 06:12 AM
I know power supplies and amps in receivers have come a long way in the past 10+ years, but I'm a little confused about the receivers power specs. I've never seen the same power ratings for both 8 and 4 ohm loads. The distortion is different, but not the wattage. Reading between the lines it almost states the receiver can't handle the additional current of a 4ohm load. On good receivers with constant voltage, the power rating should almost double when the load halves. Reminds me of more recent speaker specs I've see on "white van" type speakers " 4 or 8 ohm compatible". I haven't looked at JVC in many years, so I can't really comment on quality, but given the same price range I see much better (by specs), proven choices with Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo and Marantz. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V2095, a Denon AVR-3300 and two Marantz M-700 mono amps.

BTW JVC are known for their receivers, just not as much as in the past. I tried one of their surround receivers in the mid 80s with a pair of Polk Compact CRS speakers. The receiver was supposedly high-current @ 100W/ch. Even in stereo only it wouldn't drive the Polk's 6ohm load very loud before going into protect mode. I ended up going with a Yamaha and didn't have any problems.

I'm not trying to tell you what to buy. It's like speakers, there's a lot of way to get from point 'A' to point 'B'. Some things you like, some you don't. If you like the gear, you're willing to pay the asking price and it sounds good to you, who cares what others think. But if you plan to drive difficult loads and play loud, the specs are enough to make me look a little deeper before making a choice.

Specs from JVCs site:
Stereo: 120 watts per channel, 8 ohms, 20Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.02% THD. 120 watts per channel, 4 ohms, 20HZ to 20kHz with no more than 0.07% THD.
Surround: 2 Front - 120 watts per channel, 8 or 4 ohms, 20Hz to 20kHz, 0.02% (8 ohms) or 0.07% (4 ohms) THD; Center - 120 watts, 8 ohms, 20hz to 20 kHz, 0.02% THD; 2 Surround - 120 watts per channel, 8 ohms, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.02% THD; 2 Surround Back - 120 watts per channel, 8 ohms, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.02% THD.

Yoda
08-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Yea...I see what you mean. I plan on running some Jamo speakers (5.1 or 6.1). Im actually quite confused on this receiver situation I am now possibly looking into Integra 7.4 costing me roughly $1400. Which would you choose if money wasn't the deciding factor??

Thanks guys!

swgiust
08-06-2005, 08:05 AM
At this price level, you are going to get a quality sounding reciever. Most will have the
same features, Dolby, DTS, ect.

One item that is often overlooked is the set-up menu. Is it on screen? Is it easy to
use? You will find that when your system is set up, you will go back many times
to the menu.

Ask to see these recievers in action, try and see what features they offer.