Pete Rose? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose?

JSE
01-05-2004, 01:48 PM
How do you guys feel about Pete being reinstated?

I have not read his new book or seen the interview yet but, he does not really seem sincere. I saw a clip this morning on ABC. He is saying he is sorry, but he does not seem to think what he did was "truly" wrong. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like he is just willing to do the absolute minimum necessary to get back in. It comes off as fake.

I for one, think he should be reinstated. I think it would be good for the game. But, I think he is going to have to really pour it on thick to convince the Commish. Right or wrong, I think he has "paid for his sins" and should be let back in.

JSE

bturk667
01-05-2004, 03:10 PM
He deserve to be in the Hall of Fame because of what he did as a player.
But the rules of Baseball are clear. As for his show of remorse or lack there of, who cares. Why should he be sorry, other than it costing him his chance for the Hall.. He's a man, he knew what he was doing and he doesn't feel it was wrong. People should care more about his lying and trying to cover it up, not about how he feels, is he sorry or not.

If he gets reinstated then so should Shoeless Joe Jackson! Is Baseball ready to do both? He will never get voted into the Hall, NEVER! So the point is really moot.

tugmcmartin
01-06-2004, 03:20 PM
I don't care if he did bet on his team to lose. He should be reinstated and have a chance to be voted into the Hall based solely on his accomplishments on the field. How can the Hall be complete without the all-time hits leader within its hallowed walls? And i do think he would be elected in... his stats are too overwhelming to ignore. Maybe not first ballot, but he'd eventually get in. Sports Halls of Fame shouldn't be determined by a person's off-field persona's or mistakes. And as long as Pete didn't make any bets from the dougout or the field, i think it applies to him as well. Thats my two cents...

T-

_Luke1_
01-07-2004, 08:20 AM
I have fond memories of Rose as a Phillie and how he brought excitement and drive to a team that was on the verge of a WS. I wish the whole thing had never happened. I've always felt that fans and professional sprots teams give anyone with enough talent way too much leeway when it comes to off the field stuff, like the drug users who get wrist slaps several times through their career because they throw hard or hit home runs.

From what I'm reading, he made bets from the dugout. If it were something he did after he was out of the game, or made a couple bets on the golf course, I could live with that. But if he did it while on the job, then lied about it for 14 years, I think the ban is valid. Awarding it posthumously is an option. But allowing him to profit from his induction is wrong.

JSE
01-09-2004, 07:28 AM
Watched the interview last night. :confused: I think Pete's got a long baseball free road ahead of him. Yes, he admited to betting on baseball but to me he came off as just trying to impress the commish and really did not seem to think what he did was wrong. He said it was wrong, but I did not buy it. I think he is hurting for money and in trying to promote his book. Simple as that. It's funny how he states that gambling is the farthest thing from his mind and then they show how he is still making bets at the track. He also came off sounding like he was the victim. He said, "baseball forgot me, they would not return my calls." Yes, it's baseballs fault you got banned. Please. No I am not so sure he should be reinstated. I think it's going to be to little to late.

JSE

tugmcmartin
01-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Watched the interview last night. :confused: I think Pete's got a long baseball free road ahead of him. Yes, he admited to betting on baseball but to me he came off as just trying to impress the commish and really did not seem to think what he did was wrong. He said it was wrong, but I did not buy it. I think he is hurting for money and in trying to promote his book. Simple as that. It's funny how he states that gambling is the farthest thing from his mind and then they show how he is still making bets at the track. He also came off sounding like he was the victim. He said, "baseball forgot me, they would not return my calls." Yes, it's baseballs fault you got banned. Please. No I am not so sure he should be reinstated. I think it's going to be to little to late.

JSE

I saw it too. Was not very impressed with him. I still think he deserves to be in the Hall based on his numbers. Sure the guy is an ass, but you can't deny his greatness as a baseball player. Posthumous induction would seem like a great compromise. Hard to believe the guy, after all these years, still doesn't seem to get what the big deal is.

T-