Now Playing... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Now Playing...

BarryL
08-03-2005, 11:42 AM
What are you listening to...RIGHT NOW.

That's the first Egg album from 1970, remastered with bonus tracks.

First time I've heard this. Very early jazz-oriented prog with a singer that sounds a little bit like Jim Morrison. Features Dave Stewart on keyboards.

ForeverAutumn
08-03-2005, 11:42 AM

I've got Mark Knopfler's, Sailing to Philadelphia playing. Why or why can't he release another CD that's this good.

Like Dire Straits, Mark has kept up the tradition of great quality sound on this disk. I'd even venture to say that this is one of the best sounding disks that I own. Every song is a gem. With guest vocalists like James Taylor; Van Morrison; Glenn Tilbrook and Chris Difford, how can you go wrong?

Man, I love this CD! :)

Swish
08-03-2005, 12:05 PM

I've got Mark Knopfler's, Sailing to Philadelphia playing. Why or why can't he release another CD that's this good.

Like Dire Straits, Mark has kept up the tradition of great quality sound on this disk. I'd even venture to say that this is one of the best sounding disks that I own. Every song is a gem. With guest vocalists like James Taylor; Van Morrison; Glenn Tilbrook and Chris Difford, how can you go wrong?

Man, I love this CD! :)

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing.

Don't ask.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
08-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing.

Don't ask.

Swish

SHUT UP!!!

Did you lose a bet? :D

Mr MidFi
08-03-2005, 01:57 PM
The iPod at work, on my office stereo. Joan Armatrading just finished up, and "The Weather" by Built to Spill is now playing. Me likey so much.

nobody
08-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Playing my new comp right now. Here's the track list...

<b>Back in the Day Vinyl Mix</b>
Quiche Lorainne - B-52s (Wild Planet)
You All I Got Tonight - The Cars (The Cars)
Artists Only - Talking Heads (More Songs About Buildings and Food)
I Just Can't Be Happy Today - The Damned (Machine Gun Etiquette)
Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division (12" Single)
Public Image - Public Image LImited (First Edition)
Convincing People - Throbbing Gristle (20 Jazz Funk Greats)
A Spy in the Cab - Bauhaus (In the Flat Field)
Cars - Gary Numan (The Pleasure Principle)
Destination Unknown - Missing Persons (Spring Session M)
Arabian Nights - Siouxsie & the Banshees (Juju)
I Got You - Split Enz (True Colors)
Witches Song - Marienne Faithful (Broken English)
Because the Night - Patti Smith Group (Easter)
Precious - The Pretenders (The Pretenders)
I Wanna Sleep With You - Psychedelic Furs (Talk, Talk, Talk)
Genius of Love - Tom Tom Club (Tom Tom Club)
Crystal Days - Echo & the Bunnymen (Ocean Rain)
The Walk - The Cure (The Walk EP)
Your Silent Face - New Order (Power, Corruption & Lies)
Vienna - Ultravox (Vienna)

If anyone else wants one to listen to, just send me a message me with your address.

audiobill
08-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Elliott Smith's "from a basement on the hill"

track #7 "king's crossing"

What a damn shame that such a talented musician wasted himself. This swan song of a CD is certainly a grower.

The King's Crossing was the main attraction
Dominoes falling in a chain reaction
The scraping subject ruled by fear told me
"Whiskey works better than beer"
The judge is on vinyl, decisions are final
And nobody gets a reprieve
And every wave is tidal - if you hang around
You're going to get wet
I can't prepare for death any more than I already have
All you can do now is watch the shells
The game looks easy that's why it sells

Smith's unfortunate end, aside, this CD is not a downer at all -- in fact, the more I delve into the lyrics, I realize the wonder and amazement it all holds. Furthermore, the overall sound of his disc is lush and full.

One I keep coming to, from the past year, again and again.

Cheers,

audiobill

P.S., By the time I finished this post, I'm onto track #9 :twilight"

haven't laughed this hard in a long time
better stop now before I start crying.
go off to sleep in the sunshine
I don't wanna see the day when its dying

Troy
08-03-2005, 03:34 PM
The Yes Album.

Perpetual Change freekin rocks. Is this their best overall release? I think it probably is.

Davey
08-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Looks like you and your brother did a switcheroo. Kind of sad that they've never fixed that bug. At least it doesn't happen in almost every thread like in the beginning...

Fake Palindromes playing for me right now. One of the best things I've heard this year. From one of the best albums I've heard this millenium. None of this generation's songwriters really have anything on Andrew Bird. Thom Yorke, Wayne Coyne, Win Butler, Ben Gibbard, Conor Oberst, Sufjan Stevens, Devendra Banhart, Issak Brock and whomever else you wanna toss out. I love a good lyric and a good melody and a surprize or two, and I like most of them, but Andrew Bird is still pretty special. Adventurous music, but steeped in tradition.

she's got red lipstick
and a bright pair of shoes
knee high socks
what to cover a bruise
she's got an old death kit
she's been meaning to use
blood in her eyes in her eyes for you
she's got blood in her eyes for you

Haven't been as interested in the lyrics of an album for a long time. Every song intrigues me. It seems almost a concept album. Apocalyptic tales about monsters and judgement and rebirth (and even some pony rides and dancing bears along the way). Memories of younger days highlighted by brilliant music from the likes of Paul Simon and David Byrne are never far away either. Too much pedantic rhetoric? I never know ;)

Swish
08-03-2005, 06:45 PM
SHUT UP!!!

Did you lose a bet? :D

My best bud Bob (BBB for short) is a music freakin' nut and has more cds and vinyl than anyone I know, except for maybe Jack70. Anyway, he's a big fan of alt country, quality 80s music (the stuff we just discussed in your $100 bill post), and lots of Indie rock. However, he comes by with about 9 new ones and insisted that I give this a spin, so I thought, what the he<a>ll,why not. I can't say I like it, but I can't say I hate it either. You all know, or should know, that I'm no prog fan, but this isn't the stereotypical prog that I know and despise.

Ok, I'm done talkin' about it.

Good night.

Swish

Dusty Chalk
08-03-2005, 09:53 PM
gel-sol, 1104 -- techno, somewhat slightly ambient-ish. Very nice.

BarryL
08-04-2005, 05:16 AM
The Yes Album.

Perpetual Change freekin rocks. Is this their best overall release? I think it probably is.

It's hard to comprehend today how progressive this album was back in 1971 (?).

Freakin' brilliant.

(Except for that "movement on the lawn" lyric. Always bugged me.)

Mike
08-04-2005, 06:18 AM
Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger. Hey FA seeing as you like The Kaiserchiefs so much I think you would like this too. It's a little more punkier and grittier than the Kaisers but basically it's that 80s punk/new wave influenced sound all over again.

Loads of new debut albums from good bands coming out the UK this year like Bloc Party, Editors, Maximo Park, Kaiserchiefs and Hard Fi to name a few. Bit of a turnaround when you think it's only a couple of years ago the UK music scene was dominated by manufactured boy/girl group crap.

Cheers
Mike

-Jar-
08-04-2005, 06:34 AM

awesome ending. both songs kind of have a similar feel, though the Ultravox is a little more spaced out..

tentoze
08-04-2005, 07:54 PM

awesome ending. both songs kind of have a similar feel, though the Ultravox is a little more spaced out..
http://www.ondarock.it/recensioni/2004/cover/hinson.jpg

I've listened to more new music this year than any other, and this is so far out in front of anything else I've heard, there is no comparison.

Davey
08-04-2005, 08:00 PM
I've listened to more new music this year than any other, and this is so far out in front of anything else I've heard, there is no comparison.
Guess I now know what's at the top of my list :)

Sometime around the 40th minute, during the refrain of "Caught in-Between" - an attempt at self-affirmation that seems doomed from the outset - this Midwestern heartache starts to reveal precedent. Shades of Springsteen's Nebraska and an oft-referenced Jeff Mangum are both reflected in the laments of the Gospel of Progress - albeit less-narrative than the former and less-contrived than the latter. The veil of sincerity - regardless of its authenticity - lends just enough verisimilitude to Hinson's anguish. In a world that so often sees what it wants to and ignores the rest, Hinson makes a valiant case against the sanctity of truth. By Ian Fitzpatrick

tentoze
08-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Guess I now know what's at the top of my list :)

Sometime around the 40th minute, during the refrain of "Caught in-Between" - an attempt at self-affirmation that seems doomed from the outset - this Midwestern heartache starts to reveal precedent. Shades of Springsteen's Nebraska and an oft-referenced Jeff Mangum are both reflected in the laments of the Gospel of Progress - albeit less-narrative than the former and less-contrived than the latter. The veil of sincerity - regardless of its authenticity - lends just enough verisimilitude to Hinson's anguish. In a world that so often sees what it wants to and ignores the rest, Hinson makes a valiant case against the sanctity of truth. By Ian Fitzpatrick It is very large music writ in an unassuming manner - from a 22 yr old that sounds like the ancient of days. Watch yr mailbox for a taste. (And I owe JDaniel all credit for pointing the way to this one)

BarryL
08-05-2005, 06:42 AM
You all know, or should know, that I'm no prog fan, but this isn't the stereotypical prog that I know and despise.

Good night.

Swish

...you don't have to admit you're a fan to like it. Heck, even most prog musicians won't admit it. So let's call it....um....to use Steve Hackett's phrase (I think it was him)... world music!

Slosh
08-05-2005, 08:29 AM
Fruit Bats - Spelled In Bones

Just got it so can't say much yet. Yeah, I saw that Pitchfork review yesterday. I bought it because of their criticisms :)

Dave_G
08-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Ultravox's "Vienna" is one of my favorite albums ever.

Superb.

I saw that tour as well, very good.

This thread went awry, we were supposed to post what we were listening to.

Me? Transatlantic's "Bridge Across Forever". Pretty ho hum considering the talent in the band. Too much Neil Morse for me.

Dave

Troy
08-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Kino- Pictures.

Very enjoyable and well put together neoprog. Greatwriting and production. The real deal.

Ex Lion Tamer
08-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Sleater-Kinney - The Woods, a very good record. Could be better than Dig Me Out

caniac
08-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Dark Tranquillity -- Damage Done

Celtic Bob
08-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Honeymoon Suite - Lemon Tongue
Saw them in concert last night and they put off a great show.