The Island (minor spoilers) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Island (minor spoilers)

daigoro
08-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Against my better judgment, I went and saw this movie last night. I have a standing rule not to see Michael Bay movies cuz I think the drek he makes is really bad for the industry and I don't like to encourage it.

However....Scarlett Johansen is in this movie, so all that went out the window.

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised for pretty much the first half of this movie. For all its lack of originality (I mean, it's pretty much a hodge-podge of Blade Runner, Logan's Run, Coma, and THX 1138) it is still a decent straight up sci-fi flick with some great sets (a bit too Ikea catalog at times) and some edge of your seat action sequences. There is a chase scene on the freeway which really is a lot of fun.

Plus, Scarlett is rediculously hot in this movie!

Unfortunately, the movie gradually devolves into the kind of stupid Michael Bay movie I hate. Lots of desperate grappling on the ground with the villain with explosions in the background and what not. This could have been a really smart hard core sci-fi film if they had done it right. Plus, thanks to Bay's A.D.D., you become pretty numbed to all the action after a certain point. Does every camera movement have to have a whooshing sound or a rumble??

So, I'd give the first 1/3 of the movie a B+, then a C+, and closing with a D+.

Lexmark3200
08-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the info, D....I want to see this soon and I NEVER knew this was a Michael Bay picture.....did Jerry Bruckheimer produce it? They usually work together.....

daigoro
08-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the info, D....I want to see this soon and I NEVER knew this was a Michael Bay picture.....did Jerry Bruckheimer produce it? They usually work together.....

I don't think so. It is a Dreamworks/WB production. If JB had been involved, it would have been unwatchable I am sure. Talk about your toxic twins!

Worf101
08-04-2005, 06:33 AM
Thanks for making my weekend, Friday night movie pic a little easier. Good review.

Da Worfster :cool:

kexodusc
08-04-2005, 10:11 AM
I saw this last night without reading this review...first thing I thought of was Logan's Run.
Yes the movie is very derivative.

But it's also not bad. The ending is typical hollywood, but it's a good popcorn muncher and I give the overall movie a solid B- rating...It's better than, say, a Jet Li sci-fi like "The One". Kind of reminds me of how I felt when I watched "Mission to Mars"...derivitive, but I've seen worse.

Nothing great or special at all, but if you like sci-fi, it's not bad. Given the choices in theaters right now, it might be the one to see. For most, it'll be an ok rental.

FWIW, I liked it more than War of the Worlds. Damn, what a disappointment.

Lexmark3200
08-04-2005, 10:54 AM
I don't think so. It is a Dreamworks/WB production. If JB had been involved, it would have been unwatchable I am sure. Talk about your toxic twins!

Yeah, really....thanks for the info.....usually, Bruckheimer, along with his own film studio, works with the Disney/Buena Vista banner which includes Touchstone, MiraMax, Hollywood.....

Defshep
08-11-2005, 12:46 PM
I just got around to seeing this last week. Critic's hated it, and it was marketed poorly. The movie is a financial bomb. That doesn't mean it wasn't awesome! True, the story has been told before. However, the pacing, action, acting and special effects were all top-notch. Everyone in the theater (about 15 or 20 in all, of mixed age) seemed to have a great time. I hope the studios try to recoup some cash with a custom DVD release. This flick deserves it.