Question about Comcast cable box audio output [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Comcast cable box audio output

rhiannonj
08-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Hi guys,

This is my first post here. I've been lurking around for about two months and have learned lots. I just finished setting up my HT system and this lady is pretty darn proud because I've done it all myself.

I have Comcast digital cable. The box I have is a Motorola. I don't know what model it is but it doesn't have digital audio outputs which sucks so I've got the RCA outputs going from the box to my receiver. I've noticed that a lot of channels come through as Dolby PLII (because of it being analog) but then I was watching the Sci Fi channel the other night and sound only comes out of the right channels. To make it even stranger, when a commercial comes on the sound switches to the left channels only! Aarrrgghhh... this is driving me nuts! All my settings are correct and everything else works fine.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Rhiannon

paul_pci
08-03-2005, 02:17 PM
I can't shed any light except to verify that you have PLII as your auto setting which, fo course, takes any two channels and matrixes them into 5.1, but I would ask if you have contacted Comcast to request a cable box that has a digital audio out. If not, you should.

ericl
08-03-2005, 02:46 PM
I occassionally get this behavior with a few channels with comcast. I am not using a cable box though, I just have the cable plugged directly into the television (I only have analog basic cable) with audio output from the TV going into my receiver. I believe it is the feed for those channels that are problematic. I can't recall at the moment what stations I see this behavior. you could talk to comcast. I know how you feel, it is maddening!

eric

Mr Peabody
08-03-2005, 03:40 PM
The audio quirks with the cable are typical unfortunately. Your system is fine unless the problem is consistent amongst all channels or other sources. Obviously digital audio will have some sonic benefit but there isn't anything in 5.1 unless you have some HD channels or get Dolby Digital on some Pay Per View.

rhiannonj
08-03-2005, 03:51 PM
My setting for my cable box was set to analog because that's the type of output that was going to my HK 525 receiver... hence the Dolby PLII.

I called Comcast about six weeks ago when I started setting up my HT system and was told the only boxes they had with digital audio output were those for HD. Yeah right. I called back today after doing a bit of research into the different Motorola boxes (mine is the DCT2000 model where digital output is optional). Comcast is NOW saying that those boxes are available and they're coming out tomorrow to switch my box.

We'll see how it goes once I get this new box installed but I think it's more of a problem with the signal from those specific channels. Least I'll now have digital audio out on my Comcast box.

Rhiannon