Can I add a fan to my receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can I add a fan to my receiver?

pefat
07-31-2005, 03:41 PM
I have a marantz 4500 receiver and the problem is it gets too hot because it is designed for 6 ohm speakers and my front speakers are 4 ohm so I added 2 ohm registers to each of the front speaker and it helped a little but now I am wondering if I can add 80 mm fan on top of the receiver.
Will the magnetic field of the receiver will effect the sound ?

nick4433
07-31-2005, 05:59 PM
You can get some very quiet fans from Radio Shack and I believe there are quite a few who have used fans for added cooling to receivers.

mixadude
07-31-2005, 10:35 PM
Certainly, adding fans is a good idea. Hysteresis noise shouldn't be a problem. In the old days ('70's) we used to have back panels on amp racks that were almost solid fans. When we did outdoor gigs in the summer, we even cooled the air with a continuous supply of dry ice :eek: just to keep the amps cool ;)

Glen B
08-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Check out Parts Expess. They have a fan by Middle Atlantic Products that produces higher air output (105CFM vs 65CFM) than Rat Shack's 120V fan for similar/lower noise level.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=262-686

Also check out this "Coolplate Equipment Cooler" at Smarthome.com. You could probably make a clone of this base out of MDF and install one or two pieces of the Parts Express fan for a fraction of the $250.00 they're asking.

http://www.smarthome.com/8734c.html

Glen B
08-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Certainly, adding fans is a good idea. Hysteresis noise shouldn't be a problem. In the old days ('70's) we used to have back panels on amp racks that were almost solid fans. When we did outdoor gigs in the summer, we even cooled the air with a continuous supply of dry ice :eek: just to keep the amps cool ;)

In my mobile DJ days (1970 thru 1981) I used a tri-amped combination of tube and solid state amps. I used plain old portable household fans which did a marvelous job of keeping everything cool. :cool: