Fixed versus Variable TV/DVR Sound [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fixed versus Variable TV/DVR Sound

EdwardGein
07-31-2005, 12:49 PM
Can someone please explain what the difference in audio quality will be when watching a TV show live or on my DVR if the sound quality on my TV or DVR is set at fixed instead of variable. I understand that at fixed, my volume won't rocket up at commercials, which is what I want, but will this also affect the regular sound of the (digital) cable TV broadcast? Any info appreciated. Thanks

eisforelectronic
08-01-2005, 08:12 PM
I'm sure there is some difference in audio quality. However, I myself have never noticed any obvious difference, except for the benefit of better volume matching between different shows and commercials. I feel any difference in sound quality is far outweighed by this benefit.

Dolby
08-02-2005, 05:30 AM
On some of our satellite decoders, we also have 'fixed' and 'variable' audio out.

The difference, from what I've always understood, is that 'fixed' give a fixed rate of sound out, and is not effected by mute or volume controls on the satellite box. The 'variable' IS effected by the mute and volume controls used on the sat box.

What I do is take 'fixed' to a recordring device (incase anyone presses mute while I record) and take 'variable' to the amplifier (so I can mute/volume on the sat box without touching the amp control)

JeffKnob
08-02-2005, 11:13 AM
On some of our satellite decoders, we also have 'fixed' and 'variable' audio out.

The difference, from what I've always understood, is that 'fixed' give a fixed rate of sound out, and is not effected by mute or volume controls on the satellite box. The 'variable' IS effected by the mute and volume controls used on the sat box.

What I do is take 'fixed' to a recordring device (incase anyone presses mute while I record) and take 'variable' to the amplifier (so I can mute/volume on the sat box without touching the amp control)

That is exactly what it means. It has nothing to do with making the volume more level between the program you are watching and commercials.

eisforelectronic
08-03-2005, 02:19 AM
yes, but it does have that effect to certain degree.

mixadude
08-03-2005, 05:27 AM
That is exactly what it means. It has nothing to do with making the volume more level between the program you are watching and commercials.
Absolutely correct.