Shame as a deterent [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Shame as a deterent

mystic
07-30-2005, 07:05 PM
I have read that in an effort to reduce the demand for prostitutes some cities are posting photos of convicted johns on web sites(Chicago) and billboards(Oakland). Authorities are trying shame as a deterrent. This seems incredible, but here is a link with photos:http://www.chicagopolice.org/ps/list.aspx

I wonder whether having a man's photo as a convicted solictor of prostitutes made public would shame him from further attempts to pay for sex. If it were you, would you (a) try to change your looks and/or move to another part of town, or (b) be grateful for the free publicity, and ask for a discount from the next lady because of your fame?

dean_martin
07-30-2005, 08:19 PM
I have read that in an effort to reduce the demand for prostitutes some cities are posting photos of convicted johns on web sites(Chicago) and billboards(Oakland). Authorities are trying shame as a deterent. This seems incredible, but here is a link with photos:http://www.chicagopolice.org/ps/list.aspx

I wonder whether having a man's photo as a convicted solictor of prostitutes made public would shame him from further attempts to pay for sex. If it were you, would you (a) try to change your looks and/or move to another part of town, or (b) be grateful for the free publicity, and ask for a discount from the next lady because of your fame?

I'm very uncomfortable with the creative ways law enforcement and politicians are tacking on additional forms of punishment to ex-cons after they've served their legitimate sentences. In some states, a felon's rights are automatically restored after he's served his sentence, yet this form of punishment can linger for an indefinite period.

Most importantly, our criminal justice system includes the basic premise that you are on notice of your punishment BEFORE you commit the crime because your punishment is statutorily prescribed by Congress or your state legislature. These creative ideas can be implemented at any time and can be applied to an individual who's already serving or has already served his sentence. To me, posting pictures on billboards smacks of Big Brother.

Other crimes/wrongful conduct that this idea has been applied to are "dead beat dads" who don't pay their child support and sex offenders. The latter category presents a dilemna for me because I do think these public "announcements" are extra punishment, but I'm also aware of all the troubling issues that arise when a child molester or some other sex offender is released back into society.

I think this kind of thing is over the top for this particular crime.

mixadude
07-30-2005, 09:19 PM
I have read that in an effort to reduce the demand for prostitutes some cities are posting photos of convicted johns on web sites(Chicago) and billboards(Oakland). Authorities are trying shame as a deterrent. This seems incredible, but here is a link with photos:http://www.chicagopolice.org/ps/list.aspx

Hey, those guys haven't even been convicted, just arrested, look again! This may result in slander and defamation suits if you ask me. It can also be used by cops as an intimidation tactic in bogus situations, bad move Chicago. :mad:

mystic
07-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Hey, those guys haven't even been convicted, just arrested, look again! This may result in slander and defamation suits if you ask me. It can also be used by cops as an intimidation tactic in bogus situations, bad move Chicago. :mad:

You are right. According to the site, the photos are of individuals who have been arrested for soliciting for prostitution, but not yet convicted. I didn't catch that on first reading, and I am still having trouble believing Chicago would do such a thing. It reminds me of the Queen in Alice's Aventures in Wonderland.

`No, no!' said the Queen. `Sentence first--verdict afterwards.'

mixadude
07-30-2005, 11:07 PM
You are right. According to the site, the photos are of individuals who have been arrested for soliciting for prostitution, but not yet convicted. I didn't catch that on first reading, and I am still having trouble believing Chicago would do such a thing. It reminds me of the Queen in Alice's Aventures in Wonderland.

`No, no!' said the Queen. `Sentence first--verdict afterwards.'
Yep. Also, did you notice that most of those pictured were anything but white, looked like over 50% Latino! What a crock! They're stickin it to them. Notice there doesn't seem to be anyone wearing suits? This is just heavy handed officious BS, takin advantage of the ignorant and underprivileged, running a trial balloon, to try to get some steam for a BS tactic. What do you wanna bet the Dept of Homeland Security will try some of this BS on good citizens to further their agendas? :mad:

edit: The ACLU ought to look at this.

JohnMichael
07-31-2005, 05:31 AM
I always hate to see so much effort into victimless crimes. Look at the areas where prostitution is legal and regulated. It is safer for the customer and the prostitute. Of course I always wonder what has happened in peoples early lives that cause them to become prostitutes or troll the streets looking to pay for sex. Further humiliation seems like it would worsen the situation. I have to agree with dean_martin about once somone serves their time that should be it but it rarely is. As a good friend of mine in prison states the rich walk and the poor rot. That may explain the bias of the men arrested.

Geoffcin
07-31-2005, 06:51 AM

Say the guy gets off on the wrap, and goes home to his wife and she divorces him only because of the shame it brought byf having his pic put up on this website. How about he aquitted, and when he goes for a job they don't hire him because he was listed on a police website. How about you have a fight with your neighbor who happens to be a cop, and he arrests you and puts your face up on this website. The arrest is then voided, and the cop fired for false arrest, but now you mother sees it and drops dead of a heart attack? In all these cases nobody has been convicted of anything but their lives have been ruined.