Sex Beat over Mirror Pond [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sex Beat over Mirror Pond

Davey
07-30-2005, 02:19 PM
Sounds like a cool name for a LP. Got the cover picture in my head right now and you know it's kinky. Weekends are made for beer and music, and this one's no exception. So just a heads up if you live near a Northern California Safeway and like that tasty handcrafted Pale Ale, $10.99 right now for 12-packs of the outstanding Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale. Mmmmm, good beer.One of those Oregon beers that I've posted about before and gotten some solid backup from those in the know.

And something else I do know something about (or at least have an opinion about ;)), and that's comps by Whooptee. Since we just had a big thread about ForeverAutumn's missing years in the 80s, when she was trailing Whitesnake around Canada, and the topic of the Stuck In The Eighties series of comps came up, one of the best, if not the best, series we've had here, I had to pop in Whooptee's long delayed addition to the string. Stuck In The Eighties Volume Who Knows, and man I do love this comp. I think it's the best single comp version of the series. Not that there weren't some great ones, and pretty much all of them I heard were, but if ya gotta pick one, and you love guitar rock like I love guitar rock, this just might be it. Who else has the Fall and the Smithereens, and back-to-back? And the Young Marble Giants? And Beat Happening and Yo La Tengo? And Thin White Rope? Who? Never even heard of them! But "Take It Home" is a knockout. Guitar heaven. I always have to play that one about 4 or 5 times in a row. And two cool songs by one of my favorites, Eleventh Dream Day! I didn't even know they were started yet in the 80s. Masterful! Hopefully someday it will be ready for primetime since I just have the unreleased advance promo copy with the handwritten artist list written spirally around the top of the disc. Probably not quite the best mix for someone that didn't move into the 80s down that big road paved by the Velvet Underground and Neil Young and the Byrds and the Beatles, but you know I love it ;)

I think my copy goes something like this ...
XTC - Towers of London
Young Marble Giants - Credit in the Straight World
The Feelies - The Boy With the Perpetual Nervousness
Joy Division - Dead Souls
Gang of Four - What We All Want
Gun Club - Sex Beat
X - White Girl
Mission of Burma - Einstein's Day
The Fall - Cruiser's Creek
the Smithereens - Blood and Roses
Throwing Muses - Call Me
Yo La Tengo - The Forest Green
Thin White Rope - Take It Home
Eleventh Dream Day - Coercion
Beat Happening - Midnight A Go-Go
Sonic Youth - Hey Joni
Social Distortion - It's the Law
Eleventh Dream Day - Testify
The Pixies - Dead

As usual, your personal weekend beer and music comments welcome and encouraged.

Slosh
07-30-2005, 03:13 PM
As usual, your personal weekend beer and music comments welcome and encouraged.
Been giving Black Sheep Boy another chance. Okay, so there are some good songs here and Stone was right about "For Real", but as an album it kinda bores me. Good comp fodder, though. ;)

And the new Son Volt is pretty damn catchy in a straight ahead rockin' sorta way. And I gave Early Morning Hymns a long overdue spin this afternoon . . . and Funeral and The Lonesome Sea and Pinback's "AFK" has been stuck in my head all day. Hmmm, maybe it's time for a comp :)

Oh yeah, I'm out of beer but not for long :D

Whooptee
08-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Thanks Davy! I'm glad you like my version of Stuck in the 80's. I'm also glad to see that you noticed my sub-theme (guitar rock). I thought that it would be sort of cool to have an 80's comp without any synthesizers. OK, so there's a little bit of synth at the end of the Fall song that I chose, but I don't think there's any more. There is lots and lots of cool guitar. Speaking of cool guitar, I figured you'd dig that TWR song. I went through a lot of their songs before I finally settled on that one.

Did you notice that it's chronological? It is, at least by year, though not within the given years. I'm not sure it was worth doing, but I figure I might as well stick with it now. As far as changes, the XTC song is out. As much as I want them on there, they just don't fit. For now, that's been replaced late in the comp with The Feelies "Higher Ground" (between Coercion and Beat Happening). Unfortunately, that puts me 46 seconds over, so I need to make another change. I kind of want to cut that Social Distortion song and I'm not really all that keen on my Sonic Youth choice. I love both songs, but that part of the comp seems a little off. I'm also aware that the Throwing Muses song is a little out of place, but there's no way I'm taking it off. I might break the chronology and move it somewhere else though. Maybe not. I'm not sure.

Sorry I haven't responded to anything lately. I started a new job around the time I last posted my Tuesday review post and it's been eating up all of my time. I had today off, but I have to work the next 10 straight days. Then I go on shift work, and then I'll have some real good time off.

If anyone wants a copy of that 80's comp, IM me with your snail mail. I'll probably finalize the thing here in the next few weeks and then I'll ask again if anyone wants one.

John

Swish
08-06-2005, 08:17 PM
And Thin White Rope? Who? Never even heard of them!

Check the track list on my first comp, The Swish Mix, Brits and Others, done about 5 or 6 years ago (you know you have it) and you will see a track by Thin White Rope titled "Down in the Desert".

I rest my case,
Swish

Davey
08-07-2005, 07:34 AM
And Thin White Rope? Who? Never even heard of them before except on that first comp by my good buddy, Swish Baby! Now that was some very cool set of tunes on that baby!
I just knew you never listened to my comps! Check the track list on my first comp, The Swish Mix, Brits and Others, done about 5 or 6 years ago (you know you have it) and you will see a track by Thin White Rope titled "Down in the Desert".

I rest my case,
Swish
Huh? Ya mean this one (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/rave_recs/comp4trade.htm#Swish_more)? Like I said in the quote above, nice comp buddy. You know, too much Mirror Pond can make a person forgetful. No reflection (get it, mirror pond?) on your excellent comps!

:)

Hey, speaking of private matters, you never responded to my PM from months ago asking for your address cause I had something I wanted to send you. It hurt my feelings.

Just kidding. I don't have feelings anymore. But still got something for you if you want it.

Swish
08-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Huh? Ya mean this one (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/rave_recs/comp4trade.htm#Swish_more)? Like I said in the quote above, nice comp buddy. You know, too much Mirror Pond can make a person forgetful. No reflection (get it, mirror pond?) on your excellent comps!

:)

Hey, speaking of private matters, you never responded to my PM from months ago asking for your address cause I had something I wanted to send you. It hurt my feelings.

Just kidding. I don't have feelings anymore. But still got something for you if you want it.

but I guess you never got it. I just went into PMs and took care of it. I just figured you forgot about it and didn't want to bug you for it. No big deal.

Swish

P.S. Your pun was pretty bad.