I got blisters on my fingers! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I got blisters on my fingers!

Davey
07-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Hehehe, this job is hell! Hey, it's Silly Friday so give me one of your favorite bits of song banter. You know, when they leave the recorder running and it captures something cool before or after the song, either intentional or not. Like at the end of the raucous Helter Skelter when Ringo screams, "I got blisters on my fingers!" Or was it John? I always kind of thought it was John, but the "experts" say it was Ringo, and of course that makes more sense if he was pounding the skins for a long time, I guess. But then there are those who say that Ringo was awol for much of the White Album and that Phil Collins even sat in for awhile. Did you see the version that Paul and Ringo and some others did at the Live8 thing, and Ringo yelled it at the end? What a goofball :)

Some of them are obviously rehearsed, and this may be one of them. Or that bit by John at the end of Get Back on the rooftop, "I hope we passed the audition”.

nobody
07-29-2005, 02:08 PM
My favorite wacky banter would have to be from the Decline of Western Civilization when FEAR's Lee Ving answers an audience member yelling eat my fuk with the immortal question...

"What the hel does eat my fuk mean, anyway?"

BradH
07-29-2005, 08:33 PM
But then there are those who say that Ringo was awol for much of the White Album and that Phil Collins even sat in for awhile.

Yes, those are both true. Also, I jammed with Hendrix back in '67. In fact, the White Album only has the Beatles doing vocals. The actual backing tracks were by me, Collins & Hendrix. Yoko ran the board.

Btw, I didn't think engineers got blisters on their fingers. I suspect you're really a drummer in one of those hip new beat combos that's so popular with the kids these days. That would explain all the groovy chicks...

Davey
07-30-2005, 08:17 AM
Yes, those are both true. Also, I jammed with Hendrix back in '67. In fact, the White Album only has the Beatles doing vocals. The actual backing tracks were by me, Collins & Hendrix. Yoko ran the board.

Btw, I didn't think engineers got blisters on their fingers. I suspect you're really a drummer in one of those hip new beat combos that's so popular with the kids these days. That would explain all the groovy chicks...
Hehehe, wasn't one of the other rumors floating around in the past about the "I got blisters" scream something like Yoko through a vocoder? Weird what people will come up with to unexplain the obvious :)

I often do a lot of drumming at my desk. Ya know, engineering isn't as glamorous a profession as the tabloids make it out to be, with all the beautiful women and drinking and late night sex parties and such. There's a lot of hard work too ... and all the constant tap tap tap tapping on the keyboard with just my two fingers can lead to the occasional blister. Especially if I get distracted and make a lot of mistakes, and have to keep retyping it,and you know I get distracted easily. Especialy when I'm tapping out one of those hip new beats. Sometimes I think maybe a monkey could do it just as well ...

BradH
07-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Weird what people will come up with to unexplain the obvious :)

Remember that Ohio Players song called Rollercoaster of Love or something like that? At one point a woman screams in the background. The rumour was that it was somebody being murdered in the next studio.

It's the only explanation, really. Why else would somebody scream in a song about rollercoasters? Plus, only a real murder would be loud enough to be heard in the next studio. It just makes sense.

Lifes-A-Blast
08-03-2005, 06:21 AM
Procol Harum's Nothing But the Truth's intro has a little mic feedback and Gary Brooker saying : Is it on Tommy? good lead in

newtrix1
08-03-2005, 07:49 AM
On Floyd's WYWH, inbetween 2 songs, Gilmore is heard bringing up some phlegm. Story goes; he was a heavy smoker at the time and that hairball sound was caught on tape during a session break.
After hearing himself afterward, Gilmore decided to quit smoking, and they left the soundbite on the album as a reminder to himself not go back. Or so the story goes...

Lifes-A-Blast
08-03-2005, 08:04 AM
This one just reminded me of something I heard on a recording .
In the mid 1980's (85-86 time frame ) I was in a high end audio shop in suburban Detroit
Birmingham Mich -Almas Hi-Fi. The sales guy had this high end sound system running with some English made speakers costing a whopping 3500.00 pair back then.
He was playing Dire Strait's Industrial Disease on CD and in the intro while the organ is whailing I heard something like a drag on a cigarette before the vocal took. We must of played that back 5 - 6 times and we all agreed Knoffler must of been smoking during the vocal lay downs. I'm sure if you listen to any modern systems today you might pick it up.
Unless it was mixed out in subsquent remixes. Lifes-A-Blast

newtrix1
08-03-2005, 08:05 AM
...where he emulates doing a line? Wonder how real that was? Maybe BradH can shed some light since he was there ;).
Is the song title "Rainy Day, Dream Away"? Somethin' like that.

Troy
08-03-2005, 03:41 PM
You mean that didn't actually happen on "Love Rollercoaster?"

"Baker Street Muse, take one . . . . sh!t, sh!t, sh!t, take two."

rufus
11-07-2005, 07:12 PM
i think it's U2's Unforgettable Fire, where Larry counts off the beat way too early, and you can hear him say, "sh!t".

my other favorite is the argument about Morrissey between Ryan Adams and David Rawling's before they begin To Be Young(is to be sad)

Davey
11-08-2005, 08:46 AM
i think it's U2's Unforgettable Fire, where Larry counts off the beat way too early, and you can hear him say, "sh!t".

my other favorite is the argument about Morrissey between Ryan Adams and David Rawling's before they begin To Be Young(is to be sad)
Always surprising to see a resurrected thread like this, but sometimes it's kind of obvious why. No so here, at least for me. What made you search this one out from a few months ago rufus? That is a fun intro on Ryan Adams Heartbreaker :)

nobody
11-08-2005, 05:42 PM
I like that Morrisey argument because every time I play it my wife starts arguing right along with them.

rufus
11-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Always surprising to see a resurrected thread like this, but sometimes it's kind of obvious why. No so here, at least for me. What made you search this one out from a few months ago rufus? That is a fun intro on Ryan Adams Heartbreaker :)

i don't come by here much anymore, but was just bored the other day, and so came looking for something different on the net. cruised by here, and liked this topic, so.........

Snowbunny
11-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Hehehe, this job is hell! Hey, it's Silly Friday so give me one of your favorite bits of song banter. You know, when they leave the recorder running and it captures something cool before or after the song, either intentional or not. Like at the end of the raucous Helter Skelter when Ringo screams, "I got blisters on my fingers!" Or was it John? I always kind of thought it was John, but the "experts" say it was Ringo, and of course that makes more sense if he was pounding the skins for a long time, I guess. But then there are those who say that Ringo was awol for much of the White Album and that Phil Collins even sat in for awhile. Did you see the version that Paul and Ringo and some others did at the Live8 thing, and Ringo yelled it at the end? What a goofball :)

Some of them are obviously rehearsed, and this may be one of them. Or that bit by John at the end of Get Back on the rooftop, "I hope we passed the audition?.

Hey Monkeyboy! How's life in the Silicone Valley? Must be a great place to go to work each day. But don't you sometimes just long to see a set of real ones? :eek:

Got some Sparklehorse on my mind today. I made a copy of Its A Wonderful Life for a poor student the other day and its the only disk at work. Love it so much, why don't I have anything else by them? So good, yet so neglected!

Snookerbuns

Davey
11-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Hey Monkeyboy! How's life in the Silicone Valley? Must be a great place to go to work each day. But don't you sometimes just long to see a set of real ones? :eek:
Uh, remind me what we're talking about again? Sometimes a picture is worth more than a nod to a blind squirrel.

Got some Sparklehorse on my mind today. I made a copy of Its A Wonderful Life for a poor student the other day and its the only disk at work. Love it so much, why don't I have anything else by them? So good, yet so neglected!

Snookerbuns
Yeah, when's are we getting some more Sparkleyhorse, Mark? The natives are getting restless. We've been waiting long enough! But in the meantime you should have Good Morning Spider, that was a good one (even though I still think of that weird and loveable first one Vivadixie as my favorite). Think I might've only used that Sparrow song on a comp, but it's fun. Remember that one? Think it was on that Mermaid comp. Kind of blends in with the topic above, if you catch my drift, nudge nudge, wink wink ...

I'm so sorry
my spirit's rarely in my body
it wanders through the dry country
looking for a good place to rest
your head upon my chest
and I can feel the pillow of your breast

you are worth hundreds of sparrows

http://www.sparklehorse.com/ (click on the leaf for the same old news on the forever upcoming new album - but careful not to stare too long at my avatar in the center of the home page :))

Snowbunny
11-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Uh, remind me what we're talking about again? Sometimes a picture is worth more than a nod to a blind squirrel.

Isn't SV in the Silicone Valley??? It was a joke for goodness sake. Real ones? Ya know?

I'm so sorry
my spirit's rarely in my body
it wanders through the dry country
looking for a good place to rest
your head upon my chest
and I can feel the pillow of your breast

you are worth hundreds of sparrows

Love, love love that song. And this one too...

I will return here one day
and dig up my bones from the clay
I buried nails and string and hair
and that old tooth I believe was a bear's

at sunrise the monkeys will fly
and leave me with pennies in my eyes

Snowbunny
11-10-2005, 02:49 PM

Isn't Sunnyvale in the Silicone Valley? Real ones? You know?

Davey
11-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Isn't Sunnyvale in the Silicone Valley? Real ones? You know?
Huh? I still don't get it? Those aren't real. Silly girl, didn't I make it clear with the help of the Sparklehorse lyrics that we want a picture of your real ones?

:confused:

Snowbunny
11-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Huh? I still don't get it? Those aren't real. Silly girl, didn't I make it clear with the help of the Sparklehorse lyrics that we want a picture of your real ones?

:confused:

Heheheh... I think it was here that I first heard the term "dirty pillows". Musta been that Ms. Nomer guy that said it.

Davey
11-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Heheheh... I think it was here that I first heard the term "dirty pillows". Musta been that Ms. Nomer guy that said it.
Hehehe, I first heard it in PJ Harvey's Sheela-Na-Gig from Dry, but since that time I've found out it's an old expression. I think someone here referenced it once, maybe Chip. And maybe our gender bender friend too?

Oh, just did a search and it was the Mr. Nasty guy, my mistake. He and Chip.

Snowbunny
11-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Hehehe, I first heard it in PJ Harvey's Sheela-Na-Gig from Dry, but since that time I've found out it's an old expression. I think someone here referenced it once, maybe Chip. And maybe our gender bender friend too?

Oh, just did a search and it was the Mr. Nasty guy, my mistake. He and Chip.

Is thread hi-jacking a bad thing? :rolleyes:

It must be a common term. I don't think Ron Nasty and Chip are big PJ fans. :D

Remember when I asked you what "goto" meant? Or why peeps were saying "my bad"? I've grown so in my time here at AR.

Davey
11-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Is thread hi-jacking a bad thing? :rolleyes:
Only if there's someone around to care, and it's just you and me babe.

It must be a common term. I don't think Ron Nasty and Chip are big PJ fans. :D
Yeah, true, although I did see in the thread I found that Ron admitted to having 4 PJ discs that had each gotten 1 listen. And I did put a PJ song on a comp I made for Chip once, something called In Search of the Blues, and he didn't hate it. But they both also reminded me in that thread that their reference came from a popular film of the 70s ...

Margaret White (Piper Laurie): Take that dress off. I can see your dirty pillows.
Carrie (Sissy Spacek): They're called breasts, mama, and every woman has them.

:)

Remember when I asked you what "goto" meant? Or why peeps were saying "my bad"? I've grown so in my time here at AR.
Yea, me too. I thought most of those blonde jokes were concocted exaggerations before hanging around here ;)

Snowbunny
11-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Yea, me too. I thought most of those blonde jokes were concocted exaggerations before hanging around here ;)

Ooooh... Mary is SO gonna kick your ass! She's from Texas, you know.

Davey
11-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Ooooh... Mary is SO gonna kick your ass! She's from Texas, you know.
Uh oh, I thought we were talking about "real ones" :confused:

Guess that should get me off the hook, eh? :p

Snowbunny
11-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Only if there's someone around to care, and it's just you and me babe.

Not for long.

I'm killing time before "Waiting for Godot" later tonight. You guys get tommorow off? Its remembrance day in Canada.

Did you listen to Mark's song for Johnny Cash on the Sparklehorse website? I love stuff like that song and the stuff on the O Brother soundtrack. Sounds like he's scratching an old washboard.