How does you power all your components? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How does you power all your components?

Dolby
07-29-2005, 06:43 AM
Hi,

I know that you're not supposed to overload a socket, and ideally a CD player/DAC needs a good power source - but how do you power every component that has it's own plug?

I'm my lounge I have a single plug socket near the TV (the other is far away). On this single socket, I need to run ...

1 x TV
1 x Amp
1 x CD transport
1 x DAC
1 x AV amp
1 x DVD
1 x Satelite
1 x VCR
1 x active subwoofer

That's 9 plugs already .... and what would happen if I decided to upgrade at a later stage? I know I'd want 2 x Marantz MA6100 mono blocks - which adds another 2x plugs.

What do guys do?

Resident Loser
07-29-2005, 07:06 AM
...and err on the conservative side...a rating 15 amps is max for normal household outlets. What is the total max draw for all the components you currently(no pun intended) have connected? I'd divide that half and figure out how many circuits(not outlets) you will eventually require for the numbers to work.

jimHJJ(...it may be overkill but IMHO you can never be too safe...)

N. Abstentia
07-29-2005, 08:24 AM
I was just talking about power the other day, I'm doing a new construction and will have 10-12 dedicated outlets (each has it's own wire going back to the panel) in the room with isolated grounds. My front speakers are self powered so them and my subwoofer (or subwoofers if I get a 2nd one) will each have their own circuit. The projector will have it's own also, but mainly because it's up in the ceiling where nothing else will be. I'll also have a dedicated circuit for each of my computer systems and probalby 2 dedicated circuits to cover the signal sources and stuff. I have lots of them but they don't draw much current.

I'm also using these outlets:
http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_8380-IG.htm?ovchn=FRO&ovcpn=Froogle&ovcrn=Froogle&ovtac=PI

Because they are 20 amp hospital grade with surge supression, EMI & RFI noise filtering, and fuse protection all built in. Plus I got them at a good price (not the $60 seen there!) so 12 of them cost me about 1/3 of what a panel surge protector would have..and a panel surge is not isolated ground.

Geno1
07-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Hello new to the site so this is my first response to a post.

This is what I would suggest that you do.

1. I would calculate the load for all of your equipment.
2. Check the load ratings on my circut 15 amp general in a house.
3. Get a electrerian to give me a dedicated circut for all of the AV within the house. (20 amp)
4. Use a surgex SX2120 (find a dealer) http://www.surgex.com/products.html to go to all of the AV equipment in the head end system. Or look at a Furman or Monster power conditioner. SurgeX is the best unit out there: this will put you out around $600 this is a pro grade product though.
:D

piece-it pete
07-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Dude, no matter what you need to get another circuit or two before something bad happens (like burning down your house). If you have to run a heavy duty extension cord from another circuit.

If you have the funds 3-4 new circuits are a good idea.

For now at least pay attention to your plugs, see if they are getting hot. Make sure all your plugs and adapters are TIGHT. A loose connection generates heat without tripping your breaker.

Pete

E-Stat
07-29-2005, 12:39 PM
That's 9 plugs already .... and what would happen if I decided to upgrade at a later stage? I know I'd want 2 x Marantz MA6100 mono blocks - which adds another 2x plugs.

What do guys do?
As has been suggested, you need at least one new, preferably dedicated circuit. As for the sea of plugs,I plug all my low current devices such as TV, DVD player, cable box, etc into a power conditioner which provides protection as well. The receiver and powered subs go straight into the wall.

rw

Geoffcin
07-29-2005, 03:45 PM
I was just talking about power the other day, I'm doing a new construction and will have 10-12 dedicated outlets (each has it's own wire going back to the panel)

Your going to have 10-12 circuits? That's 150 amps minimum dedicated to your HT. What you planning on putting in there!?

N. Abstentia
07-29-2005, 05:51 PM
A home theater system! Plus all my guitar and computer equipment. I want all my high power stuff to have dedicated circuits...2 fronts..2 subs...1 big amp for the rears & center..at least 2 for the preamp & signal sources...4 24/7 computer systems (at least 2 circuits)..a projector...a huge bass guitar amp...there goes 11 right there! Plus they are 20 amp circuits :)

I'm a big believer in overkill when it comes to wiring. I don't want anything begging for juice. And since it's a new contruction, why not?

mixadude
07-29-2005, 08:10 PM
A home theater system! Plus all my guitar and computer equipment. I want all my high power stuff to have dedicated circuits...2 fronts..2 subs...1 big amp for the rears & center..at least 2 for the preamp & signal sources...4 24/7 computer systems (at least 2 circuits)..a projector...a huge bass guitar amp...there goes 11 right there! Plus they are 20 amp circuits :)

I'm a big believer in overkill when it comes to wiring. I don't want anything begging for juice. And since it's a new contruction, why not?
Right f'in on!

I often oversee the tech power for medium to large sized public and/or corporate events. I retired from r 'n r 20 years ago. I never let a circuit get to even half of it's rated capacity. There is voltage drop in that 12Ga wire between the load center and the outlet when the current goes up (when it gets loud), especially in house wiring (in road shows we use better wire). In the case of ss audio amps with conventional power supplies, this relates directly to the amp clipping at a lower maximum power. In the case of some digital stuff it can mean total failure during the ovation(!) when the mixa pushes it the hardest.

Keep yer lectronics happy, and you'll be happy too. ;)

BTW, I run my bass rig on one separate circuit too. It's OK, cause I don't turn it up here in the house. It can pass 3.6 KW of audio at clipping :eek:

illwill
08-09-2005, 06:47 PM
i don't think you'll have any problems with that

it is certainly not an optimal situation and adding an extra circuit or two would be a good idea. relatively, however, audio/video equipment is pretty low-draw (when compared to microwaves, haridryers, etc.)

remember that one outlet is almost certainly a portion of one circuit, so depending on what else is nearby (or possibly not, residential electricians will pull some goofy ****) you might have a problem if something very high draw is nearby.

currently on one outlet in my house (which, unfortunately is a rental so i can't make any electrical changes):
-a/v receiver (probably a couple hundred watts draw, if that)
-cable box
-dvd player
-vcr
-cd changer
-powered sub (probably also a couple hundred watts)
-tv (think the draw is like 70, though i could be wrong)
-nintendo 64
-xbox
-lamp
-wireless router
-cable modem

-there are also some printers plugged into a nearby outlet, likely on the same circuit

in any case, i do just fine. Obviously it is extremely rare (never?) that i run everything at once, but often a lot of it is on at once.

again this IS NOT optimal and if i were able to fix the problem i would, but in the meantime my house has not burnt down

-will