DVD- ELO's Zoom [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD- ELO's Zoom

PPG
01-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Got this for Christmas and fired it up on the surround system. Overall, a great show but a shorter version would be even better, or a least a couple of track substitutions. The present "ELO" is Jeff Lynne with girlfriend Rosie Vela providing backing vocals and swaying all thoughout the show, along with original ELO member Richard Tandy on keyboards, and the rest non-original players but very good ones. The sound quality is really good, can be heard in either DTS or Dolby Digital. (is there much difference between these two formats? I can't tell). As far as the performance, most of the old ELO classics sound great on this DVD and do justice to the originals, including Livin' Thing, Evil Woman, Strange Magic, among others too numerous to mention, but a couple including, Telephone Line, Can't Get It Out Of My Head, didn't sound quite as good as the original performances but that's a minor complaint. The performance of "10358 Overture" is just fantastic and makes one wish Jeff would do more of the deep cuts (and some of the earlier stuff).

Highly recommended for longtime ELO fans.

Troy
01-05-2004, 10:36 AM
Hiya PPG. Sounds kinda interesting.

How big is the band? In the old days, they had a rather large headcount making for a big fat sound.

They do "Mama Bell"? "Roll Over Beethoven"? "Fire on High"?

PPG
01-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Hiya PPG. Sounds kinda interesting.

How big is the band? In the old days, they had a rather large headcount making for a big fat sound.

They do "Mama Bell"? "Roll Over Beethoven"? "Fire on High"?

Let's see...they had a lead guitarist, drummer, bassist, keyboards, and two girls on cello and violin. I'll check the box when I get home to see if I missed someone and report back tomorrow if that's the case. I too remember the old original "orchestra" line-up.

And hell, yes, they did rockin' versions of Ma-Ma Belle and Roll Over Beethoven but not Fire On High. I think the DVD only cost like 20 bucks - very much worth it.

They didn't do a single track from "Time", the 1981 album. As a bonus on the DVD, there's an interview with Lynne, which I don't think I've ever seen an interview with the man.

jasn
01-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Rosie Vela? A blast from the past! She had a pretty good mid-80's album called Zazu that was memorable for it being a near-Steely Dan reunion, what with Katz producing and ***en and Becker sitting in a lot. I have to dig it out on vinyl again.

A pretty face can get you far...

jasn
01-05-2004, 11:36 AM
It's pretty obvious from my above post that there is a new feature on this site to prevent us from saying naughty words.

Poor Donald ***en