Flat Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Flat Speakers

liejian
07-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Hi Everone,

I am looking to buy flat speakers that look as well as sound good but at the same time not be too expensive. Preferably, I need it to match a black panasonic plasma tv. The speakers will be used for both music and home theater. Thanks!

Florian
07-28-2005, 03:36 AM
Magnepan MMG :p

Florian
07-28-2005, 04:00 AM
How about some of those B&O speakers then? :p

markw
07-28-2005, 04:02 AM
Magnepan MMG :pI think wall mounts are the order of the day here. For use next to a wall mounted TV, the MAggies universal requirements for space behind them would be a disadvantage.

Now, if they were for music and could be placed more into the room for the best sound, I'd agree with you. ;)

ohio
07-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Yamaha YSP-1 is about as flat and good-looking as it gets. Of course, I've never actually heard one...

MomurdA
07-28-2005, 01:51 PM
What about the maggies that are supposed to be mounted against the walls? I think they are the mmg, whatever ones are advertised on the main page of this website.

Florian
07-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Well you can defintely use them close to the wall. They will not perform the best slapped against a wall, but you can treat the backwall which will properbly work quite good :p

Timn8ter
07-31-2005, 01:44 PM
I did have the opportunity to hear the wall mountable Maggies at CES. They had a HT set up with them and subs using their bass management system. They were playing a Diana Krall DVD and it sounded pretty darn good.

Florian
07-31-2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks for that, a good comment. Yeah, check out those Maggies !!

Woochifer
07-31-2005, 03:28 PM
The Maggies sound nice, but they generally require a pretty substantial amp. If you're using an entry level HT receiver, the Maggies might be too much of a load in a 5.1 configuration. Another alternative to flat panel speakers (most of which you should not wall-mount anyway because they require space between the panel and the front wall to properly function) is the growing crop of on-wall speakers.

These speakers use conventional drivers, but have narrower profiles than typical bookshelf speakers, and they are designed to mount on the wall and visually complement large screen flat panel TVs. Companies that currently make on-wall speakers include Paradigm, Definitive Technology, Vienna Acoustics, B&W, Boston Acoustics, Klipsch, Vandersteen, and Martin Logan. The Paradigm Cinema series is pictured below.

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/CinemaCT/CinemaCTGallery/CinemaImages/CinemaPlasma.jpg

Florian
07-31-2005, 03:30 PM
That pic looks pretty cool. Nice to run the cables behind the wall :p
Doesnt B&W makes some kind of Miniature speakers that you can place anywhere incl. a coffee table?

Woochifer
07-31-2005, 03:50 PM
That pic looks pretty cool. Nice to run the cables behind the wall :p
Doesnt B&W makes some kind of Miniature speakers that you can place anywhere incl. a coffee table?

Ever notice how many catalog/advertisement photos also show the speakers with no cables? Or how few of them actually show rooms with CDs or DVDs anywhere in the room?

Those mini B&W speakers I recall were more for wall-mounting around the house or outdoors as part of a multizone setup or with a mini system. Not necessarily for critical listening situations, since they cost less than $150/pair. Paradigm's Stylus series serves a similar market. B&W's on-wall speakers are a lot bigger and more formidable. Still a compromise in sound quality, but most people shopping for on-wall speakers are willing to make those compromises to get something that can visually blend in with plasma/LCD TVs. In my listenings, they're definitely a step up over the cube/micro satellite systems.