RPWL - World Through My Eyes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RPWL - World Through My Eyes

BarryL
07-27-2005, 12:47 PM
This is my third RPWL album, and their fourth.

It didn't look good upon first listen, with all of the songs sounding the same with the exception of the standout Roses. But then the songs started to click after four or five listens. Yeah, a lot of the songs still sound the same, primarily because of the limited vocal range and style of the lead singer, but after a while the melodies start to sink in and the whole thing becomes a nice, enjoyable, layed back listen.

Again, the band is proficient and has more of a Pink Floyd prog feel and a definite '70s feel than the more bombastic play for speed metal prog that dominates today, or the complexities of the new school like SB, FK, and every other band that includes Stolt or Morse.

There is some great Manfred Mann's Earth Band-style analog synthesizer that would have sounded right at home on Solar Fire.

A lot of you will find this album boring, so be warned. But if you want to sit outside during the summer with some relaxing prog and not have the neighbours complain, this album might do it for you.

3-LockBox
08-03-2005, 07:49 AM
And I like it (did a review here a few months ago).

In fact, I found it to be a grower as well, but was more immediately likable than its predecesor, <i>Trying to Kiss The Sun</i>, which I found to be very boring.

These guys seem to have the prog structure and sense of melody down pat, but they still don't display the chops that most prog bands have. Which sometimes, is a good thing I guess.

I guess I should give <i>Stock</i> a chance (I think its Troy's fave from them).

BarryL
08-03-2005, 09:37 AM
And I like it (did a review here a few months ago).

In fact, I found it to be a grower as well, but was more immediately likable than its predecesor, <i>Trying to Kiss The Sun</i>, which I found to be very boring.

These guys seem to have the prog structure and sense of melody down pat, but they still don't display the chops that most prog bands have. Which sometimes, is a good thing I guess.

I guess I should give <i>Stock</i> a chance (I think its Troy's fave from them).

I just discovered them at HMV having never heard of them, so it was kind of exciting to come across something new. Having started there, that becomes the benchmark for everything else. There are some great tunes on Trying to Kiss the Sun.

I don't know if I liked Stock better. It seemed like it was cut together from previous recorded material, some of it very good, but it was like they had this stuff hanging around and slapped it together in order to get something out. I was convinced that the band had broken up. A lot of it seems to have been from some kind of The Wall-type concept album judging from the lyrics of some of the tunes, but I'm just speculating.

This band is a group of competent musicians who seem to be trying to recreate a certain feel that existed in 70s prog when the song was the thing, not just the ability to play extraordinarily well, where not everybody had to be a Juliard graduate.

If you like RPWL, then you'll like Stock. It's a bit of a mixed bag like the other albums, but certainly not a bad album by any means.

Troy
08-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I like Stock the best of the 3 that I've heard. It's funny, but to me it distinctly does NOT feel like a patched together project to me, regardless of whether it is or not. It flows like a concept album to me.

this new one never asks to be played . . . so I don't play it much. I'm bored by it . . . and I'm supposed to be the target audience!

BarryL
08-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I like Stock the best of the 3 that I've heard. It's funny, but to me it distinctly does NOT feel like a patched together project to me, regardless of whether it is or not. It flows like a concept album to me.

this new one never asks to be played . . . so I don't play it much. I'm bored by it . . . and I'm supposed to be the target audience!

With a target audience of ten, that's one song each. Hopefully they connected with the one song targeted at you!

My thoughts on Stock being patchwork is complete conjecture.