It's Tuesday! So put your beer & movies aside... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : It's Tuesday! So put your beer & movies aside...

newtrix1
07-26-2005, 12:31 PM
....and let's talk music. Whatcha been spinnining lately?

This week in music Newtrix style:

Morcheeba - Part of the Process (best of) :cool:
Geraldine Fibbers - Butch :eek:
Yes - Close to the Edge, The Yes Album, Yessongs, Tormato :)
Roland Orzabal - Tomcats Screaming Outside
Joy Division - Permanent
Paul Simon - Rhythm of the Saints
Joy Askew - Tender City :(
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Goody Mob - Soul Food :rolleyes:
Rod Stewart - Greatest Hits :rolleyes:
Pearl Jam - Vs. :p
Tears For Fears - Tears Roll Down

Swish
07-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Magnolia Electric Co. - What Comes After the Blues
The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree
Stephan Malkmus - Face the Truth (against my better judgment)
Okkervil River - Down the River of Golden Dreams
Spoon - Gimme Fiction
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Cold Roses
Rheostatics - 2067

Swish

Stone
07-26-2005, 01:15 PM
I don't have time for descriptions right now, but I remember listening to these:

Van Morrison - Magic Time

Frank Black - Honeycomb

Kraftwerk - The Mix

Adolescents - s/t

Split Enz - True Colours

MIA - Arular

Most Serene Republic - Underwater Cinematographer

Heatwave - Central Heating

The Oranges Band - The World and Everything In It

Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson

Slosh
07-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Stephan Malkmus - Face the Truth (against my better judgment)pffft! ;)

NP: Son Volt - Okemah And The Melody Of Riot

MomurdA
07-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Been relistening to some of my newer acquisitions(a few months old mostly)

Flaming Lips-Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots --I cant stop playing this album, it is so gd good.
Air-Moon Safari--See above notes.
MMW--End of the World Party--If it were the end of the world, I would go out listening to this.
Skalpel--Skalpel--This aint your grandfather's jazz. Think The Cinematic Orchestra.
Postal Service--Give Up--Very good, i think i heard a remix of one song on a Skittles commercial the other day.
Tortoise-Millions Now Living Will Never Die--Appropriately named album. Immortal post rock/electronic goodness.

Swish
07-26-2005, 02:29 PM
I don't have time for descriptions right now, but I remember listening to these:

Van Morrison - Magic Time

Frank Black - Honeycomb

Kraftwerk - The Mix

Adolescents - s/t

Split Enz - True Colours

MIA - Arular

Most Serene Republic - Underwater Cinematographer

Heatwave - Central Heating

The Oranges Band - The World and Everything In It

Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson

I read a review on it recently and it was something like 9 out of 10, but I don't know the source very well, so who knows. I just heard an older tune of his in Baltimore last Thursday and then saw the review in their City Paper later that day. Coincidence? The name of the song I heard is "Headache" and it's on a solo record I have in my collection...I just can't remember the name of it at the moment.

Swish

newtrix1
07-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Flaming Lips-Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots --I cant stop playing this album, it is so gd good.

I remember having that reaction way back when I first got that album, Of course it fades in time, but I still dig it. I'm looking for something to load on the MP3 player for my evening walk, and that just may be the ticket! Thanks for the reminder :)

Swish
07-26-2005, 02:57 PM
pffft! ;)

NP: Son Volt - Okemah And The Melody Of Riot

Ha! I read more than one review that wasn't very flattering to this new one from SM, and I didn't care much for Pig Lib, so I didn't bite so easily on this new one. I was in a cool store in Baltimore last week and, after picking up the aforementioned Okerville...Okkerville...I mean Okkervil River cd, I figured I couldn't walk out with just one, so for about $12.00 + tax I figured WTF. No strong opinion yet, but give me some time with it.

Swish Baby

Slosh
07-26-2005, 03:35 PM
No strong opinion yet, but give me some time with it.If you give it three more spins and it still doesn't grab ya you might as well give up and start buying Pukey Tree albums. :rolleyes: It still just blows me away about a hundred spin later and I haven't even begun to tire of it yet either. Malko is such an underrated guitarist. All feeling/no wank/to hell with precision - exactly how you should make music. Not only easily my fave of '05, but one of my faves ever (truly). Of course, that's just me :)

I thought I'd really dig that Okkervil River CD at first but after a couple of spins it became a major snoozefest for me. I just listened to it again today and my reaction was the same.

Oops, I was talking about Black Sheep Boy above. Nevermind :o

NP: Wilco - Being There (for like the fifth time in three days :) )

Pat D
07-26-2005, 05:12 PM
I just bought my fourth set of Beethoven symphonies with Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic, originally released in 1963. It's very good, both for performance and sound, just as everyone says it is, well worth it's super budget price. The CD transfer is very good, at least as good as the LPs, of which I have a couple. Nos. 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 9 are excellent. Many find No. 6, the Pastorale Symphony, to be less good, and it is rather fast. Let's say Karajan interpreted it as a symphony rather than a tone poem, but I find it to be a very interesting take on the music. The Eroica is generally praised, but I find it a little slower and heavier than I would prefer, but it's not a weak performance by any means and everybody else seems to like it. Yes, the 5th symphony is excellent, every bit as good as Carlos Kleiber's recording. All in all, it's a very strong set.

In the 9th Symphony, the tenor, Waldemar Kmentt, seems to have had a little bit of vocal strain on his big solo as he sounds to me to have some minor problems with his intonation. He is better known as a operetta singer, I think. The other three soloists, soprano Gundula Janowitz, alto Hilde Rossl-Madjan, and bariton Walter Berry are superb, and Kmentt is fine in the ensemble work. The Wiener Singverein chorus is excellent.

JDaniel
07-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Well, going from memory:

Franklin Delano - Like A Smoking Gun In Front Of Me

The Peter Bruntnell Combination - Ends of the Earth

Lucinda Williams - Live @ the Fillmore

Drive By Truckers - Decoration Day

Chas Guy & Christine Forgeron - s/t

Leo Kottke - My Fathers Face

Dar Williams - Beauty of the Rain

Micah P. Hinson & the Gospel of Progress

Willard Grant Conspiracy - Regard the End

Carlos Santana - Supernatural

Jimmy Buffett - Bars

JDaniel

Dave_G
07-27-2005, 09:28 AM
IQ - 7 stories into '98

Split Enz - Conflicting Emotions (I love this album)

Karmakanic - Wheel of Life (excellent)

Sparks - Kimono my House

Thin Lizzy - Thunder and Lightning (grrreat)

Thin Lizzy - Black Rose

(those 2 are on the defunct Metal Blade label, man, their cd's have excellent sound quality)

Tull - Broadswoard & Beast remaster

Yes - Relayer. This is my least favorite album of theirs, just cant grasp the thing so well.

Regards,

Dave

audiobill
07-27-2005, 11:15 AM
The Arcade Fire: Funeral

Death Cab for Cutie: Transatlanticism

Fourtet:Rounds

Jethro Tull: Thick As A Brick

Loretta Lynn: Van Lear Rose

Pontiac Limo: finchpalate's awesome compln.... a real grower.

Cheers,

Bill

Dusty Chalk
07-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Not much, meself. Mostly that Jeff Wayne War of the Worlds boxset. It rocks. Some of the outtakes are droll, some of them are injokey, some of them are out-and-out funny. Whatever happened to Chris Amoo -- wonderful "rock'n'roll" voice. Reminds of Chris Hamlet Thompson.

Also:

Melotron, Cliche'
Project Pitchfork, Kaskade
Giles, Giles <-- this is a sleeper, possibly LOTW.

chrisnz
07-28-2005, 12:02 AM
Quite a lot this week, including some new stuff.

Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the great highway.
Kanye West - The College Dropout.
Four Tet - Rounds and Everything Ecstatic
M.I.A - Arular
Edan - Beauty and the beat.
The Foreign Exchange - Connected.
Radiohead - Kid A
Various artists - Run The Road
Junior Boys - Last Exit
Erlend Oye - ?
prefuse 73 - Surrounded by silence
Clap your hands say yeah - Clap your hands say yeah
sampler from INsound of American analogue set and white magic.

Stone
07-28-2005, 04:10 AM
How's that Frank Black cd?

I've only given it two spins, but so farI like it pretty well. It's no Doolittle or Teenager of the Year (in style or quality), though. It's more like Van Morrison and Being There-era Wilco than the Pixies, and he pulls it off alright, but so far it hasn't grabbed me in a big way.

Mike
07-29-2005, 02:43 AM
Some recently purchased albums which have been high on my listening pile for the last week or so

Bedouin Soundclash - Sounding a Mosaic, sort of Marley inspired mainstream reggae with some good vocals, it's a real grower and I'm liking this a lot. Nice production too with the bass upfront and in yer face just how reggae should be.

The Editors - Back Room, just released this week it's a debut album from a British band and I really like this a lot so far. With shades of Joy Division/Interpol and all the usual 80's links but for all its dark references it's really upbeat and reminds me a bit of the Stills release from last year. From listening so far it will be high on my year end list.

Hard Fi - CCTV, another debut that's getting a lot of hype, it's ok but nothing startling.

Teenage Fanclub - Man Made, I didn't realise they were still together but I snagged a copy from a friend and I'm glad I did, it might be their best release yet.

Missy Higgins - The Sound of White
Emiliana Torrini - Fishermans Woman

Cheers
Mike