5.1 vs 7.1? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 vs 7.1?

kingcu
07-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Hi,

I wonder if somebody could explain to me the crucial difference between a 5.1 system and a 7.1 system, in terms of both listening to music and watching movies. Thank you.

wt

Woochifer
07-26-2005, 01:40 PM
The crucial difference is simply that there are far more 5.1 soundtracks out there than 6.1 soundtracks (no such thing as a 7.1 soundtrack currently available to consumers), and that going with a 7.1 speaker setup requires more space and more funds. Whether or not you choose to go with a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup depends on your room setup and your budget.

If your sofa is up against the backwall, forget about 6.1 or 7.1. Stick with a 5.1 setup and optimize your setup for that configuration.

If you have space behind the listening position, then going with the two extra back surround speakers will give you a bit more backfill in the rear soundfield. The purpose of the back surrounds is to provide a little extra surround envelopment. In general though, you should focus on getting the 5.1 configuration done right first, and then figure out whether the extra back surround speakers will provide any benefit.

Since most music sources are two-channel, you only need to worry about the mains and maybe the subwoofer when listening to CDs. Most movies coming out on DVD are 5.1, with older titles encoded in 2.0, and only a few of them prepared in 6.1 (DTS ES) or matrixed 5.1 (DD EX).

EdwardGein
07-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Too add, most of the newer receivers are 7.1 as opposed to 5.1, yet you can play 5.1 on these systems which are probably slightly better for 5.1 than the original 5.1 receivers because they have more up to date features.

kingcu
07-27-2005, 03:27 AM
So, if I am hooking up a 7.1 receiver with a set of 5.1 speakers, do I need to somehow turn off the 2 channels on the receiver that are not used? Thank you.

Too add, most of the newer receivers are 7.1 as opposed to 5.1, yet you can play 5.1 on these systems which are probably slightly better for 5.1 than the original 5.1 receivers because they have more up to date features.

kingcu
07-27-2005, 03:29 AM
Thank you for all the information. The back of my sofa is open, so I guess I can go with 7.1. Just want to make sure about the location of the surround speakers. The side surrounds should be on the side of the sofa and the rear surrounds should be a little behind the sofa and about 2 feet apart. I plan to hang the side surrounds on the wall about 5 feet from the floor and the rear ones are going to be the in ceiling ones. Does this sound OK?

The crucial difference is simply that there are far more 5.1 soundtracks out there than 6.1 soundtracks (no such thing as a 7.1 soundtrack currently available to consumers), and that going with a 7.1 speaker setup requires more space and more funds. Whether or not you choose to go with a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup depends on your room setup and your budget.

If your sofa is up against the backwall, forget about 6.1 or 7.1. Stick with a 5.1 setup and optimize your setup for that configuration.

If you have space behind the listening position, then going with the two extra back surround speakers will give you a bit more backfill in the rear soundfield. The purpose of the back surrounds is to provide a little extra surround envelopment. In general though, you should focus on getting the 5.1 configuration done right first, and then figure out whether the extra back surround speakers will provide any benefit.

Since most music sources are two-channel, you only need to worry about the mains and maybe the subwoofer when listening to CDs. Most movies coming out on DVD are 5.1, with older titles encoded in 2.0, and only a few of them prepared in 6.1 (DTS ES) or matrixed 5.1 (DD EX).

kexodusc
07-27-2005, 03:38 AM
Thank you for all the information. The back of my sofa is open, so I guess I can go with 7.1. Just want to make sure about the location of the surround speakers. The side surrounds should be on the side of the sofa and the rear surrounds should be a little behind the sofa and about 2 feet apart. I plan to hang the side surrounds on the wall about 5 feet from the floor and the rear ones are going to be the in ceiling ones. Does this sound OK?

What you are planning sounds okay, but I depending how much room you have behind your sofa, you might be better off avoiding ceiling speakers. They aren't the best sounding generally. 7.1 really calls for 2 more speakers several feet behind your listening spot for rooms that can provide it. Having ceiling speakers won't produce the same effect, it might still sound good, but it'll skew the 360 degree imaging.

If mounting speakers at least 4 or 5 feet behind you isn't an option, I really think you might be better off sticking to 5.1, and reallocating the ceiling speaker money into improved gear in the rest of your system. If you aren't into multi-channel audio (DVD-A or SACD formats), then you might consider looking at bipolar/dipolar speakers for surrounds. While I'm not a big fan of them personally, they do radiate in such a pattern that the surround info is diffused more than normal speakers and many people prefer them.

Aldo WIngate
08-05-2005, 10:37 AM
5.1 = Dark Ages
7.1 = Up to Date

Period!

SlumpBuster
08-05-2005, 11:13 AM
5.1 = Dark Ages
7.1 = Up to Date

Period!

Does that mean that 2 channel is primordial and mono is pre-existence? Where do the 9.1 Yamahas fit into this hierarchy?

I disagree that 7.1 is superior or will take over. The WAF and cost are the ultimate limiting factors of 7.1. Eventually more media will be available in 6.1, but WAF and cost will remain insurmountable to the average consumer. Plus 7.1 is most suited for dedicated HT rooms, something most people don't and never will have.

whell
08-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Does that mean that 2 channel is primordial and mono is pre-existence? Where do the 9.1 Yamahas fit into this hierarchy?

I disagree that 7.1 is superior or will take over. The WAF and cost are the ultimate limiting factors of 7.1. Eventually more media will be available in 6.1, but WAF and cost will remain insurmountable to the average consumer. Plus 7.1 is most suited for dedicated HT rooms, something most people don't and never will have.
Show me the boatloads of 7.1, or even 6.1, software that is available right now, and I'll get excited about 7.1. Until then, its nothing more to me than an opportuity to create an artificial market for amps, speakers, receivers/processors, interconnects and speaker cable.

Hell, in my room, most movies sound pretty darn good in plain ol' stereo. The Star Wars, Pearl Harbors, etc. soundtracks with all the booms and bangs in the surround speakers are more the exception than the rule.

N. Abstentia
08-05-2005, 04:48 PM
5.1 = Dark Ages
7.1 = Up to Date

Period!

Where are all these 'up to date' DVD's with 7.1 soundtracks?

Aldo WIngate
08-05-2005, 05:10 PM
If you think 7.1 doesn't blow 5.1 out of the water when used with a processor that actually has algorithms to convert 5.1 to 7.1, then you're high.

No comparision, hence my declaration that 7.1 is the ONLY standard!

BTW, 9.1 is non-existent.

Mono and 2 channel are prehistoric - both developed during the early stages of the Pleistocene Epoch, if I'm not mistaken. They're so out of date they're invented BEFORE electricity!

SlumpBuster
08-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Dang, if 7.1 is the ONLY standard, then that means I have to keep watching "The Village" over and over, because that's the only 6.1 DVD I have. And that thing's a steaming turd. :(

cam
08-05-2005, 06:47 PM
If you think 7.1 doesn't blow 5.1 out of the water when used with a processor that actually has algorithms to convert 5.1 to 7.1, then you're high.

No comparision, hence my declaration that 7.1 is the ONLY standard!

BTW, 9.1 is non-existent.

Mono and 2 channel are prehistoric - both developed during the early stages of the Pleistocene Epoch, if I'm not mistaken. They're so out of date they're invented BEFORE electricity!
Your declaration for 7.1 as the only standard is, well, let me see here, oh ya, there is no such thing as 7.1. Your standards are set where no one or studio is set at right now. You said, BTW, 9.1 is non-existent, I've got news for you there WALDO, BTW, 7.1 is non-existent.

thekid
08-06-2005, 07:47 AM
My amp goes to 11 because that is one better than 10.....(sorry for the Spinal Tap reference...)

IMO I would opt for spending the money/time to perfect a 5.1 system/set-up. As has been noted the equipment manufacturesr are ahead of the material here and I do not think the technology leap involved here is of the historic (or pre-historic...) proportion that justifies the additional cost. This is not like going from analog to digital or from vinyl to CD. I suspect that the additional speakers of the new format if done improperly will actually detract from the HT experience. With limited resources out there to help you set up the new format correctly I think you would find yourself either unhappy or in a constant state of rearrangement trying to get it right. Good luck on whatever option you choose!

Aldo WIngate
08-06-2005, 12:07 PM
I've got 7.1 running right now.....as I watch the Yankkes vs the Blue JAYS!

So, WHO'S YOUR DADDY?????????????