Recent movies [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recent movies

MasterCylinder
07-25-2005, 05:34 AM
What is the best movie you have seen recently ?

I am actually seeking your advice -- I want opinions from you about DVD rentals or films that are currently at the theaters..................thanks in advance.

Geoffcin
07-25-2005, 06:12 AM
What is the best movie you have seen recently ?

I am actually seeking your advice -- I want opinions from you about DVD rentals or films that are currently at the theaters..................thanks in advance.

Just saw Fantastic 4, and it was a lot better than I was expecting. Good summer "popcorn" movie. I liked it a lot better than the too long & dark Batman begins.

Hyfi
07-25-2005, 06:15 AM
Aviator
Be Cool
Bridget Jones II
Harold and Kumar go to White Castle
National Treasure

ForeverAutumn
07-25-2005, 07:16 AM
You wouldn't want to post this thread to the Movie forum. You'ld get a lot more responces, and there's some pretty good reviewers in there that would give you some good insights.

Hey MC. Geoffcin is right. Check out the Favourite Films forum. There are a ton of recent DVD reviews there!!

The only recent flicks that I've seen are:

War of the Worlds - miss this and you won't miss much.
Star Wars, Revenge of the Sith - interesting story in that you find out how a lot of the things that become important in the original Star Wars flicks happen.
A Shark's Tale - I love animated films but this one bored me a bit.

Overall, not a lot of success in providing you with an interesting movie to view. :(

Note to Geoffcin: Thanks for not just automatically moving this thread. :)

Hyfi
07-25-2005, 07:23 AM
MC was asking a few of his friends who he knows post here and not there.

By the way, Be Cool has a good soundtrack and a chick that can sing well.

Hyfi

MC, I'm confused. How could we suggest DVDs of movies that are currently at Theaters? Would't that be Pirating? We don't do that here.

newtrix1
07-25-2005, 07:53 AM
Best movie I've seen recently was a baseball movie (on DVD) called Mickey. Stars Harry Connick Jr. (so there, it's music related too). Nothing to do with Mickey Mantle btw.
I thought I'd seen all the good baseball movies, but this 2003 released slipped me by back then. Great movie if you've got (or had) kids in little league.

Best recent theatre movie (if you still consider it recent), was Star Wars. War of the Worlds was so-so.

newtrix1
07-25-2005, 07:54 AM
You wouldn't want to post this thread to the Movie forum. You'ld get a lot more responces, and there's some pretty good reviewers in there that would give you some good insights.

Personally, I only visit the Rave-Recs forum, So I'm glad MC posted this here. I don't see a problem with an occasional "off-topic" discussion. Breaks the monotony ya know?

Ex Lion Tamer
07-25-2005, 07:55 AM
I haven't seen any of the new releases in theatres, but I did see a good movie called Antwone Fisher with Denzell Washington, (rarely do I not enjoy one of his movies). I did see the boxing movie with Russell Crowe, the name is escaping me now, which was good but didn't quite live up to the hype.

MasterCylinder
07-25-2005, 08:01 AM
hyfi......I got the pirating joke.....LOL.

Just to clarify, since I have not put any time into movies for the last few years, I was asking film advice regarding EITHER those currently in theaters - OR - those for rental on DVD (trying not to exclude anything).

Perhaps I could have worded it better.

newtrix1
07-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Aviator
Be Cool
Bridget Jones II
Harold and Kumar go to White Castle
National Treasure

I don't know why, but I'm having a real problem getting through Aviator. First off, it's really long, I watched a bit last week, then came back to it Saturday, but didn't finish it. It's starting to seem like a chore to go back and wrap it up. The portrayal of Kate Hepburn was a bright spot though.

Loved National Treasure, lot's of folks thought it was hokey, but I saw it the theatre when it came out and loved it, and then picked up the DVD the week it came out. I think one aspect that I liked about it was that the "good guy" Nichloas Cage's character, never used weapons or fought his way out of the many perilous situations. He always used his brain. As a parent, it's nice to see that for a change, kudos to Disney.

audiobill
07-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Hey, MC.

At the theatres.........

Batman Begins: 5/5 Dark and delicious -- don't miss this one!!

War of the Worlds: 3.8/5 I actually quite liked it, but the ending was too contrite.

DVDs

Kingdom of Heaven: 4/5 You need to understand some of the history to fully appreciate

Ong Bak: 5/5 If you like martial arts films, this one is it -- no guide wires, at all

Hitch: 4/5

The Merchant of Venice: 4/5 Al Pacino and breathtaking venetian scenery

The Machinist: 3.7 Creepy-ccol. Bale is anorexic, very un-Batmanlike

Constantine: fun popcorn movie..... 3.5/5

Boogeyman: 2/5 don't waste your time

Hope this helps you choose,

Bill aka audiobill

ForeverAutumn
07-25-2005, 09:05 AM
I did see the boxing movie with Russell Crowe, the name is escaping me now, which was good but didn't quite live up to the hype.

Cinderella Man. I didn't see, I just knew the name.

Mr MidFi
07-25-2005, 11:06 AM
I just saw Kinsey and Garden State this weekend. Both are very good. Liam Neeson is excellent as the famous sex researcher, and Zach Braff has done a marvelous job with his first writing/directing/starring effort. Of the two, I would recommend Garden State first.

Dave_G
07-25-2005, 11:23 AM
ALIEN

ALIENS

Turn off the lights and play it thru the stereo and it'll have ya jumpin.

Dave

richmon
07-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Some of the better one's recently viewed:
The Motorcycle diaries -great scenery
Crimes and Misdemeanors (Woody Allen)
Frailty - review=http://allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:259829
Weed (available if you have OnDemand digital cable)
Go West (great Marx Brothers that I found in the Classics section)

And the stinker of the week -Fantastic 4.
As a big consumer of Marvel comic books, had to see Fantastic 4 ... verdict? -only very mildly entertaining.

Mr MidFi
07-25-2005, 01:27 PM
ALIEN

ALIENS

Turn off the lights and play it thru the stereo and it'll have ya jumpin.

Dave

One of the first DVDs I ever bought was Alien. Great flick. You're right about turning off the light, especially during the freaky strobe effect when the ship is heading for self-destruction.

(The other two discs I bought on my first DVD shopping trip: Blade Runner and Amadeus.)

dean_martin
07-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Haven't been to the theaters in a while, but if you're a couple years behind on dvd rentals, this may help.

Napoleon Dynamite (released in Dec. '04) - off beat comedy with no objectionable language, situations, etc.
The Incredibles - animated, but with a fairly adult-oriented story.
My family and I liked the twinbill Meet the Parents and Meet the Fockers
Kill Bill Vols. 1 & 2 (significantly less family oriented)
The Life Aquatic
Lost in Translation
Garden State

Some older flicks I've returned to recently - High Fidelity, 12 Monkeys, Donnie Darko, Rushmore.

An older flick that I just discovered - Dog Soldiers, best werewolf movie I've ever seen.

Matt Damon surprised me in The Bourne Identity so much so that I also rented (and enjoyed) The Bourne Supremacy.

Swish
07-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Loved National Treasure, lot's of folks thought it was hokey, but I saw it the theatre when it came out and loved it, and then picked up the DVD the week it came out. I think one aspect that I liked about it was that the "good guy" Nichloas Cage's character, never used weapons or fought his way out of the many perilous situations. He always used his brain. As a parent, it's nice to see that for a change, kudos to Disney.

I really hated this movie. Some of the scenes were as proposterous as those in the Matrix seriies. I like my movies to be grounded in reality, at least to some degree. If you liked it, que sera, sera, but I don't know how I got thru it.

I would go for"Lost in Translation" as my favorite rental in recent months. Quality acting, unique story, well written and a fantastic vehicle for Bill Murray like you've never seen him.

Swish

Hyfi
07-25-2005, 03:49 PM
I don't know why, but I'm having a real problem getting through Aviator. First off, it's really long, I watched a bit last week, then came back to it Saturday, but didn't finish it. It's starting to seem like a chore to go back and wrap it up. The portrayal of Kate Hepburn was a bright spot though.

Although someone more fitting the part than Leonardo could have been picked, I like the history that was never told in stores. The wonderful crafstmanship that went into his planes and now all planes. Yes Aviator was long but with the right attitude adjustment, it was enjoyable.

I liked National Treasure for the underlying story of the Nights of Templar. I have a book called Guardians of the Grail that tries to tie the Morovian blood line together with the Nights of Templer right down to the weird Meditation Room in the United Nations that is a monument to the All Seeing Eye. Although hokey to the point of stealing the Declaration, the historical value and insight into somewhat of a Taboo, Masons, I was glued to the screen for the duration.

Be Cool is real funny. Vince Vaughn it a riot while The Rock plays a convincing Gay actor bodyguard.

caniac
07-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Wedding Crashers -- one of the funniest movies I've seen in quite a while. Vince Vaughn is a BEAST!

Also, this is hardly recent, but just picked up "The Natural" on DVD for 10 bucks at Winn-Dixie -- along with a pack of ribeye and some fine Irish lager. I should be in bachelor heaven tomorrow afternoon.

:D

ForeverAutumn
07-25-2005, 06:13 PM
Also, this is hardly recent, but just picked up "The Natural" on DVD :D

This is one of my all-time favourite movies. I don't have it on DVD (yet) but I've seen it enough times that I've lost count. It's a great book too!

I can also give the thumbs up to Rushmore.

Another favourite (and also not new) is Arlington Road. Tim Robbins is (as always) outstanding. This one has one of the best movie endings ever.

While we're on the topic of Tim Robbins. Two more not to be missed films are The Hudsucker Proxy and The Shawshank Redemption.

Hyfi
07-26-2005, 02:48 AM
While we're on the topic of Tim Robbins. Two more not to be missed films are The Hudsucker Proxy and The Shawshank Redemption.

Wow, don't forget Jacobs Ladder.