Dream Theater: Train Of Thought rocks hard [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater: Train Of Thought rocks hard

3-LockBox
07-25-2005, 03:25 PM
and I like it! Wow... have I been missing out. Maybe I'm going middle-aged crazy or something but boy does this hit the spot. I like it better than Octovatium, well, a little better...anyway, I've been in the mood for this stuff and didn't know it. I think I'll get one more this week and call it good, but which DT cd to get?...hhhmmmm.....

ever inquisitive,

3LB

caniac
07-25-2005, 04:19 PM
I liked "Train of Thought" as well, though it was a bit more straightforward than I would expect from DT. Took a while to get into it, but once I did I was hooked. Easily their heaviest release to date.

If you liked TOT, you'll also like "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" and "Awake".

ForeverAutumn
07-25-2005, 05:14 PM
and I like it! Wow... have I been missing out. Maybe I'm going middle-aged crazy or something but boy does this hit the spot. I like it better than Octovatium, well, a little better...anyway, I've been in the mood for this stuff and didn't know it. I think I'll get one more this week and call it good, but which DT cd to get?...hhhmmmm.....

ever inquisitive,

3LB

If you don't yet have Scenes From A Memory, don't even consider buying anything else first. I think that the one thing that everyone here (DT fans anyway) will agree on is that Scenes is their absolute best.

kexodusc
07-26-2005, 04:01 AM
TOT was a damn fine album, no doubt about it. The closer on that disc is killer...If there's one weak spot it'd be the first track, but it's not bad.

Six Degrees was an interesting album a bit more experimental and definitely hard hitting. I think it has some of their best material, but it can be hard to get through in one sitting.

Scenes From a Memory is probably the one to get next...At the time I think it was their masterpiece, likely because pulling of concept albums well is extremely difficult, and they made it look easy, but these guys just keep getting better so I think they're definitive album is yet to come.

I'm a big fan Falling Into Infinity as well, there's a few tracks that are just too stripped down and blah sounding, but no less than half that album is fist pumping prog at it's best.

As you work your way backwards through DT's catalogue you can really see how this band really takes a completely different approach on every album, something I wish more of my favorite prog bands would do.

MasterCylinder
07-26-2005, 05:30 AM
kosigns with kexo..............

Scenes From a Memory and Falling Into Infinity are damfine ceedees.
They are very different -- FII is more like TOT, a compilation of songs.
SFAM is a theme-based or "concept" album.....like a throwback to the 70s.
Both a very nice examples of DT's work.

Also......when you are ready to buy a Dream Theater DVD, get "Live at Budokan".....it is the best-sounding DVD available (and it has cuts from many, many albums, including TOT). It is the identical concert tour I saw last year. It also has a disc of bonus materials that are fun to watch.
Live Scenes from New York is also good but the sound is recorded at a low level.
All the other DVDs have production problems and, IMO, should be left on the shelf.