On a DVD's Menu Screen, Under AUDIO Selections, When it Says...... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : On a DVD's Menu Screen, Under AUDIO Selections, When it Says......

Lexmark3200
07-25-2005, 01:45 PM
......"OPTIMIZED FOR DVD; NO EQUALIZATION REQUIRED".......what exactly does that mean? This happens on some NEW LINE HOME CINEMA titles I have (or have seen) such as The Butterfly Effect and Knockaround Guys, where under the AUDIO SETUP section of the DVD's menu, there will be a notice above the selections like Dolby Digital, DTS, etc, that says "OPTIMIZED FOR DVD PLAYBACK --- NO EQUALIZATION REQUIRED".....is this suggesting that our receivers or processors dont need any "EQ" applied to them to get the "true" digital Dolby or DTS audio on these DVD soundtracks? In other words, we shouldnt really be fooling around with any tone controls or adding equalizers to our surround systems because the soundtracks are optimized for Dolby and DTS playback JUST THE WAY THEY ARE? Would this be correct in assuming?

[NOTE: I was not sure which the proper section was to put this question so I entered it here AND in the GENERAL AUDIO threads; please forgive me and accept apologies in advance for any problems this may have caused.]

Slosh
07-25-2005, 02:16 PM
It just means the treble has been toned down a bit to sound properly balanced in a home-sized room, as opposed to a brighter mix for a large theatre.

Lexmark3200
07-25-2005, 02:32 PM
It just means the treble has been toned down a bit to sound properly balanced in a home-sized room, as opposed to a brighter mix for a large theatre.

Thanks Slosh; are you sure though that its all that means? Because what you are describing is what my Onkyo receiver does through its CINEMA FILTER feature --- tones down treble for a better response in home theater environments; this message on DVD menus does not mean that we dont necessarily NEED equalizers in our home theaters because Dolby Digital and DTS are already mixed the way they should play back?