the cheesy orange lights on my receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : the cheesy orange lights on my receiver

caniac
07-24-2005, 08:30 PM
I really like my new Pioneer VSX-D814, with one exception: it has these bright orange lights -- one above the volume control, and one behind each of the source select buttons. These lights are driving me crazy, they're very distracting and just plain cheesy-looking.

I know I really shouldn't do this, but I'm considering opening the thing up and doing something about it.

I was thinking of maybe putting bits of electrical tape over the bulbs. It would be a lot easier than removing them, which I imagine would involve a soldering iron and the risk of really screwing something else up in the process.

Anybody ever done anything like this before?

kexodusc
07-25-2005, 04:39 AM
I'd advise against opening up a new receiver...never know, some companies are very fussy about warranty coverage.

Most receivers have a dimmer option, which should allow you to tone down the bright orange.

I actually prefer the orange to the standard blue/green everything else has.

Geoffcin
07-25-2005, 05:27 AM
I'd advise against opening up a new receiver...never know, some companies are very fussy about warranty coverage.

Most receivers have a dimmer option, which should allow you to tone down the bright orange.

The fluorescent display can be dimmed, but the button LED's no. Who ever had the idea to put non-dimable LED's on a receiver should have his head examined. Black magic marker can do wonders here.

PAT.P
07-25-2005, 05:46 AM

I agree with Kexodusc about the warranty .Just get some little round sticker that kids use and store use .Hey they come in all color .Pat.P

caniac
07-25-2005, 04:10 PM
I went ahead and did it. Pretty easy, actually. 20 minutes with a Philips screwdriver and a roll of electrical tape and no more tacky orange lights! Makes a huge difference.

As far as warranty coverage goes, it probably won't come to that, but if it does, it should be pretty easy to reverse (just open it back up and pull the tape off). I doubt they'd be able to tell that the case had ever been opened.

sam9
07-25-2005, 04:40 PM
I don't mind the little lights on recievers. What bugs me are the symbols, and alphanumeric displays I'm supossed to be able to read from across the room. The guys who design the displays either never stand back to look at their handywork or or too young to realize what starts happening to your vision after age 40.