Centre speaker for Paradigm system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Centre speaker for Paradigm system

paleoman
07-23-2005, 06:59 PM
Hello;
This is my first post and I have a question regarding an appropriate centre speaker for my system. At present I have a pair of front Studio 20s (v.2) from Paradigm and a set of surround speakers ADP-470 (v.3) also from Paradigm. From my readings, the recommended centre speaker would be the CC-470 or 570. The catch is that the less expensive speaker CC-470 typically retails at around $650, a bit more than I feel that can spend at the moment. Any advice on a suitable centre speaker from a different manufacturer or does anyone know of a decent used 470 for sale? Thanks for any help!

David

PAT.P
07-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Hello;
This is my first post and I have a question regarding an appropriate centre speaker for my system. At present I have a pair of front Studio 20s (v.2) from Paradigm and a set of surround speakers ADP-470 (v.3) also from Paradigm. From my readings, the recommended centre speaker would be the CC-470 or 570. The catch is that the less expensive speaker CC-470 typically retails at around $650, a bit more than I feel that can spend at the moment. Any advice on a suitable centre speaker from a different manufacturer or does anyone know of a decent used 470 for sale? Thanks for any help!

David
They say you should match the drivers of as close as possible with your front.The centre channel is the most important speaker .You want the voice to come to life .That price is not as much as Dynaudio Evidence at around $7000 and the B&W at $11000 .Pat.P

PAT.P
07-23-2005, 07:47 PM
They say you should match the drivers of as close as possible with your front.The centre channel is the most important speaker .You want the voice to come to life .That price is not as much as Dynaudio Evidence at around $7000 and the B&W at $11000 .Pat.P
OOps the Dynaudio Evidence is $16,500 way off.Pat.P

jasmit
07-23-2005, 09:31 PM
The MSRP is $650 but you should be able to get it from an authorized dealer for as little as $550 -- 15% off is not uncommon. Of course, you'll probably not find version 2 at your dealer but version 3 will be close enough. Give negotiating a shot.

paleoman
07-24-2005, 07:42 AM
The MSRP is $650 but you should be able to get it from an authorized dealer for as little as $550 -- 15% off is not uncommon. Of course, you'll probably not find version 2 at your dealer but version 3 will be close enough. Give negotiating a shot.

Thanks. I've tried negotiating, but without much luck. It would be great if I could get the price down to around $550. Next chance I'll give another shot. It's difficult to find dealers with Paradigm products in Wisconsin.

N. Abstentia
07-24-2005, 09:53 AM
The Studio CC is a perfect match and you can normally get it for around $300 used. I wouldn't bother trying to match a center from another manufacturer, do it right :)

paleoman
07-24-2005, 10:56 AM
The Studio CC is a perfect match and you can normally get it for around $300 used. I wouldn't bother trying to match a center from another manufacturer, do it right :)

Yes, it would be great if I could get a decent used center speaker. I have seen a couple of used 470s listed on Ebay in the past, but I'm unsure about buying one without first listening to it or at least buying from someone who I know has taken good care of it. Otherwise, I'm keeping my eyes open. I would certainly prefer to stay with Paradigm!

jasmit
07-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks. I've tried negotiating, but without much luck. It would be great if I could get the price down to around $550. Next chance I'll give another shot. It's difficult to find dealers with Paradigm products in Wisconsin.

It sounds like your dealer is the only Paradigm dealer around and that he knows you need that Paradigm CC. A couple of tips on getting that CC at a better price:

- If you haven't done so already, talk to the owner of the store. They are often more amenable to negotiating than the salesmen or even the manager. Convince him that you are a serious customer and that you are likely to be a repeat customer for other audio products as you need them or as you upgrade. Tell him that your preference is to buy locally but that you are willing to travel to the next closest Paradigm dealer. Tell him that you know that it is common for Paradigm dealers to come down 10 or 15%. At all times, be cordial and non-threatening.

- Be willing to actually travel to the next closest Paradigm dealer. Do some research on the dealer locator engine on the Paradigm website and determine the next closest one. If you have a larger city within driving distance, maybe there's more than one. Go there and see what they're willing to sell it for. Hopefully, there is some competition there and they are willing to deal. Armed with other quotes, go back to your local dealer and haggle. Some will say that this is somehow underhanded. It's not; it's simple supply and demand. The local dealer knows he has a product you want and that he has no other local competition. So, he's firm on the MSRP. That's fine; that's his right as a retailer. Your right as a consumer is to shop around and let the dealer know that he does, in fact, have competition for your money.

There's no guarantee that this will work, but it may be worth a try. If you are willing to try and it doesn't work, you can always look for something used on audiogon or e-bay. You can actually advertise in the "wanted" section of e-bay.

I am fortunate to live between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. There's one Paradigm dealer in Baton Rouge and one in New Orleans. There's also one in Alexandria, LA and two or three in Houston, TX. In my search, I went as far as Houston -- five and half hours away (I have a daughter who lives there, so it wasn't solely a shopping trip). When I was ready to buy, the Paradigm dealer in Baton Rouge went out of business and several months later, the line was assumed by another audio dealer. I ended up buying from the dealer in Alexandria. In my case, every Paradigm dealer I went to -- four in all -- offered 10 - 18% off of MSRP.

I wish you luck.

PAT.P
07-24-2005, 06:22 PM
Just ask them for the floor model ,most audio place will sell them cheaper.You could wait for a sale.Paradigm dealers have a truck load sale at least twice a year and around Xmas and Boxing Day.Pat.P

Woochifer
07-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Keep in mind that the CC-470 uses a different tweeter, different midrange/woofer, and different crossover point than the Studio 20 v.2. The horizontal alignment of a typical center speaker guarantees you that the center speaker match won't be perfect. The Studio CC is the "matched" center speaker for a pair of Studio 20s, and on my system, it's a reasonably close match with the Studio 40s that I use up front.

When Paradigm discontinued the Studio v.2 series a couple of years ago, the Studio CC was the first model to run out of stock at the warehouse. As others have mentioned, you might be able to still find one sitting around as a demo at a Paradigm dealer somewhere, or as a trade-in at any other independent audio dealer. Otherwise, you are stuck with ebay and audiogon as your other alternatives.

If your TV setup at home allows this, you could also use a Studio 20 v.2 as the center speaker. Having three identical speakers up front is actually ideal for timbre matching, but most rooms have the TV right where the center speaker would ideally go, so the horizontal center speaker filled that gap. With the Studio 20 as a center speaker, you need to make sure that you're using the magnetically shielded version (if placed on top of a TV) and that the tweeter can line up at roughly the same height as the L and R speakers.

N. Abstentia
07-25-2005, 05:24 PM
I may have a Reference LCR450 for sale in the next couple of weeks if you are still looking. The 450 is a Studio CC in a sqaured box (instead of sloped) so you can use it in any of the 5 positions.

paleoman
07-26-2005, 05:58 AM
Keep in mind that the CC-470 uses a different tweeter, different midrange/woofer, and different crossover point than the Studio 20 v.2. The horizontal alignment of a typical center speaker guarantees you that the center speaker match won't be perfect. The Studio CC is the "matched" center speaker for a pair of Studio 20s, and on my system, it's a reasonably close match with the Studio 40s that I use up front.

When Paradigm discontinued the Studio v.2 series a couple of years ago, the Studio CC was the first model to run out of stock at the warehouse. As others have mentioned, you might be able to still find one sitting around as a demo at a Paradigm dealer somewhere, or as a trade-in at any other independent audio dealer. Otherwise, you are stuck with ebay and audiogon as your other alternatives.

If your TV setup at home allows this, you could also use a Studio 20 v.2 as the center speaker. Having three identical speakers up front is actually ideal for timbre matching, but most rooms have the TV right where the center speaker would ideally go, so the horizontal center speaker filled that gap. With the Studio 20 as a center speaker, you need to make sure that you're using the magnetically shielded version (if placed on top of a TV) and that the tweeter can line up at roughly the same height as the L and R speakers.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice! I wasn''t aware of audiogon. I'll check it regularly. The idea of using a single Studio 20 had not occurred to me. Unfortunately, my setup won't allow me to tweeters line up.

paleoman
07-26-2005, 06:15 AM
I may have a Reference LCR450 for sale in the next couple of weeks if you are still looking. The 450 is a Studio CC in a sqaured box (instead of sloped) so you can use it in any of the 5 positions.

Thanks! I am interested. Please let me know if you decide to sell it and we can then discuss it.

N. Abstentia
07-26-2005, 05:58 PM
I'll let you know as soon as I know. I think I'm going to end up with an extra one but I'm not sure just yet.

noddin0ff
07-28-2005, 12:14 PM
My 2 cents.

The 20's V.2 and the 470 V.3 are pretty darn close. You'd be hard pressed to notice any mismatch in a HT situation. It took me quite a while to even be sure I could hear a difference. Patience...

N. Abstentia
07-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Paleman, I sent you a PM about the Paradigm Center :)

paleoman
07-29-2005, 08:32 PM
Thanks. I've sent you a reply.

Paleman, I sent you a PM about the Paradigm Center :)