12 fluid ounces of ridiculously tasty original amber ale ... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 12 fluid ounces of ridiculously tasty original amber ale ...

Monkey Bones
07-23-2005, 12:06 PM
concocted by our massive brewforce of 47.

Yumm, got some Full Sail Amber Ale flowing past the lips on a Saturday. Got that Shack Waterpistol on the CD spinner and it's sounding very good. What a shame these guys never hit the big time. Personal problems and bad luck, so I guess they share some of the blame. Gotta get some of these songs out to the masses so don't be surprised if they show up on a comp near you ;)

What's shakin' this weekend? Should I stick with Monkey Bones or go back to Davey? Stick with Full Sail or switch to some lager? Stay with the under-appreciated brit-pop or switch to something more organic and American? Suggestions with attitude welcome :)

Stone
07-24-2005, 04:37 AM
concocted by our massive brewforce of 47.

Yumm, got some Full Sail Amber Ale flowing past the lips on a Saturday. Got that Shack Waterpistol on the CD spinner and it's sounding very good. What a shame these guys never hit the big time. Personal problems and bad luck, so I guess they share some of the blame. Gotta get some of these songs out to the masses so don't be surprised if they show up on a comp near you ;)

What's shakin' this weekend? Should I stick with Monkey Bones or go back to Davey? Stick with Full Sail or switch to some lager? Stay with the under-appreciated brit-pop or switch to something more organic and American? Suggestions with attitude welcome :)

No drinking for me this weekend, as I spent it with the "family" (my son, my gf and her two kids). Although, now I'm really ready for a beer (maybe this evening I'll break a couple out).
Never had the Full Sail, but I'd go with (or stick with) an amber ale over a lager just about any day of the week. Where's that Full Sail from?

Other than that, now playing is the 101ers ("Lonely Mother's Son" which became the Clash's "Jail Guitar Doors"). I've been listening the new Of Montreal enough that my son said to me yesterday "You always listen to this one." Of course, if he had his way, we'd listen only to MIA. Up next as we clean this place up will be some Shrimp Boat.

tentoze
07-24-2005, 06:59 AM
Amber ale>lager, but sometimes 20 or 30 Bud Lights work too. I'm celebrating the first new solo release from Al Kooper in 30 years, Black Coffee, and drinking a big cup of it as well. Take off that indie hipster tee shirt and get yr groove on.

Monkey Bones
07-24-2005, 09:35 AM
Never had the Full Sail, but I'd go with (or stick with) an amber ale over a lager just about any day of the week. Where's that Full Sail from?
Yeah, it's not bad stuff. It's from Hood River Oregon, east of Portland. Pretty clean brew with some nice hops. I'll usually go with a IPA or Amber Ale over most of the big name lagers like Sam Adams or (around here) Gordon Biersch. Especially if it's a small indie label, although Full Sail isn't that small. And not that cheap either at the supermarket, but it was on sale for a couple bucks off so that's what I went for. Cheapass Dave to the core. Two bucks is about two minutes of work, but I still look for the beer bargain :)

From their site ...

A great tasting malty sweet beer that has a reddish amber hue, a medium body and a spicy floral hop finish.

Malts: 2-row Pale, Crystal & Chocolate.
Hops: Mt. Hood & Cascade.

Eight time Gold Medal Winner -
World Beer Championships!

Gold Medal (90 Points) Amber Ale Category Deep amber-red hue. Rich malty aromas through on a medium-bodied palate with a long and elegant finish with earthy hops and underlying sweet malts. A wonderfully well balanced and complex amber pale.

Snowbunny
07-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Last weekend on a sunny patio I drank maybe an ounce of yummy Grolsch. Ice cold, pretty bottle and an intriguing swing-top, but I was drinking icy Corona with lime. GIRLIE BEER! (Do you think the staff hates having to fish the lime wedges out of empty bottles?)

Today I am bored, bored, bored and this board is not entertaining me much. I'm off for a long walk with a short dog on a beautiful sunny day with some seriously neglected new(ish) Bjork.

What are y'all doing for fun this summer? Anyone want to wander around North Amercia in an RV?

Snowie

np: ennui...

Slosh
07-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Last weekend on a sunny patio I drank maybe an ounce of yummy Grolsch.Hey! Me too. Warped minds think alike, eh? 'Cept often I don't think and mine was the amber ale and I had a hell of a lot more than maybe an ounce and it was free :) (for me, my buddy had a case at their house last night).

But it is kind of a girlie ale (although still good, just wish it had a bit more bite) but whatcha expect when we let the women pick out the beer. Hey, it could have been much, much worse :D

NP: Wilco - Being There

audiobill
07-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Hey! Me too. Warped minds think alike, eh? ]

Hey, me three.

I just settled into my second Grolsch with my wife is still on her first. Man, I love these 500ml. bottles -- 12 oz. just seems too little and so, unEuropean -- so, unpintlike.

The LCBO has left a message on our answering machine, saying that the Mill Street Organic Pale Ale is in. Of course, I'm too lazy to go and pick it up. Just washed the cars and am feeling overworked. God, I love summer!!

N.P., Rancid -- Here Come the Wolves

ForeverAutumn
07-24-2005, 01:37 PM
The LCBO has left a message on our answering machine, saying that the Mill Street Organic Pale Ale is in. Of course, I'm too lazy to go and pick it up. Just washed the cars and am feeling overworked. God, I love summer!!

You better go pick up that beer before the LCBO goes on strike next week Bill. We went on Friday and made sure that we were stocked up on wine and coolers for the long weekend.

I'm not a beer person so no beer talk from me. But I recently discovered the best vodka cooler in the world....Woody's Mexican Lime cooler. Nice and tart for a cooler. Not too sugary as most coolers tend to be.

But this weekend has been all about the Sangria. Mmmmmmm. Yum.

Swish
07-25-2005, 08:05 AM
You better go pick up that beer before the LCBO goes on strike next week Bill. We went on Friday and made sure that we were stocked up on wine and coolers for the long weekend.

I'm not a beer person so no beer talk from me. But I recently discovered the best vodka cooler in the world....Woody's Mexican Lime cooler. Nice and tart for a cooler. Not too sugary as most coolers tend to be.

But this weekend has been all about the Sangria. Mmmmmmm. Yum.

Say, if you don't like the taste of so-called "regular beer", try something like Blue Moon Belgian White with a slice of orange. And don't just place the orange in the bottom. Use a glass and squeeze the wedge before you pour your beer into it. I can't keep the stuff stocked in my bar because the women, and some of the guys, drink it up so fast. It's a bit of a "girlie beer", but I think it's pretty friggin' good in the summertime. I lean toward the heavier stuff most of the time and we have 3 local micro-breweries who all make great stuff. Troegs and Stoudts are the best of the lot, and I could go on and on about their many offerings. I try everything they come out with, except for fruit flavored stuff (cherry wheat and the like).

Swish

Swish
07-25-2005, 08:17 AM
Max's in Fells Point located at 733 South Broadway. This place has about 70 beers on tap along with at least two hundred bottled beers, many of which I've never seen. Some of the imports were in bottles that were prolly 1 liter size and with cool shapes to them. I had a glass of Boddington's, not exactly and rarity, and a couple of the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, which was a complete surprise since it's a winter beer. The barkeep told me they kept 2 kegs back to make available later in the summer, so I was lucky enough to get a couple pints. It's prolly my favorite beer in the world, along with Troegs Nugget Nectar, another winter ale put out by a local micro-brewery in Harrisburg, PA. You can check them out at www.maxs.com.

A Public Service Announcement courtesy of Swish

newtrix1
07-25-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm not a beer person so no beer talk from me.

Can't you have your Canadian citizenship revoked for such heretic statements? :eek:

Snowbunny
07-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Say, if you don't like the taste of so-called "regular beer", try something like Blue Moon Belgian White with a slice of orange. And don't just place the orange in the bottom. Use a glass and squeeze the wedge before you pour your beer into it.
Swish

What the heck is White beer? Is that like Zima? Sounds weird, but I saw something on the Grolsch website that appeared to be made of beer and lemon soda!

Snowie

newtrix1
07-25-2005, 08:43 AM
my kidneys produce "white beer" all the time. ;-)

Swish
07-25-2005, 09:07 AM
What the heck is White beer? Is that like Zima? Sounds weird, but I saw something on the Grolsch website that appeared to be made of beer and lemon soda!

Snowie

that's just the name, and it's nothing like that crap Zima!. Its colour is like that of most other beer, although it's cloudy instead of transparent. It's actually a Belgian wheat beer, somewhat similar to Hoegaarden(pronounced "who-garden"), which, like the Blue Moon, isn't filtered and has a cloudy appearance. It's brewed with equal parts barley and wheat, and is top-fermented. They also spice it with coriander, although I would never have guessed that, along with orange peel. That may sound weird, but you really can't call this a spiced beer. You can taste the orange a bit, but I never detected coriander. I read that on a website or I never would have known.

Anyway, like Corona with lime, I find Blue Moon a refreshing beer for the summertime.

Swish

Swish
07-25-2005, 09:09 AM
my kidneys produce "white beer" all the time. ;-)

And my kidneys produce mostly yellow beer. You never buy beer, you only rent it (famous Archie Bunker quote).

Swish

ForeverAutumn
07-25-2005, 09:23 AM
I am a Freak. A Canadian who doesn't like beer. I've tried. Truly I have. But I just don't like hops. Don't like anything about it (them?). The taste. The smell. It all makes me go...ICK!

The Ministry of Beer did try to revoke my citizenship once. But I showed them my extensive Buffy St. Marie CD collection as well as the many toques that I own and they conceded and let me keep it. Whew!

Monkey Bones
07-25-2005, 09:29 AM
You can taste the orange a bit, but I never detected coriander. I read that on a website or I never would have known.
I think it says that on the label, right? I know they used to put some white pepper in it too, although like you say, that has nothing to do with the name. What mainly sets it apart is the raw wheat and spices. Think I tried the Sam Adams version of Belgian White before and it wasn't very good. There is one by Celis from Michigan that's supposed to be really premium, but I haven't seen it. Blue Moon is a good beer. And my mom does like it too. Never tried it with any fruit. That sounds too girlie ;)

http://www.celis.com/images/celis-white-150.jpg

It's like a line drawing
It snipped my heart
White pepper ice cream

In my mouth
It sting my lips
It's like eclipse
As I'm in the crossword puzzle
But I can't fill in the blank

White pepper ice cream
Sweet or spicy?
White pepper ice cream
ça m'est égal
ça m'est égal

Swish
07-25-2005, 01:30 PM
I think it says that on the label, right? I know they used to put some white pepper in it too, although like you say, that has nothing to do with the name. What mainly sets it apart is the raw wheat and spices. Think I tried the Sam Adams version of Belgian White before and it wasn't very good. There is one by Celis from Michigan that's supposed to be really premium, but I haven't seen it. Blue Moon is a good beer. And my mom does like it too. Never tried it with any fruit. That sounds too girlie ;)

http://www.celis.com/images/celis-white-150.jpg

[/i]

put on my old geezer reading glasses whilst imbibing, something I refrain from doing so I can maintain my cool, youthful appearance.

I stongly recommend the orange wedge though. Dang is that good. Now it's off to the Blue Bird Cafe for some dinner, along with Dos Equis Amber with a wedge of lime, or maybe some Troeg's Dreamweaver Wheat with a wedge of lemon...so much beer, so little time. They also have Smithwicks, a fairly new British brew that's pretty tasty, and Boddington's Best Bitter. Well, maybe I'll have one of each.

Swish

3-LockBox
07-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Full Sail is an Oregon micro brew and is very, very tasty indeed.

I don't know where your postin from, but there seem to be some very nice beers made in Oregon so you can never go wrong.

Goes great with music actually.

I like Fat Tire ale myself...hhhhmmmm....beer...whoohooo!

3LB

JoeE SP9
07-26-2005, 06:03 PM
How about a Chimay Grand Reserve with a side of Black eyed Peas. That should do it for Saturday. For Sunday how about Pilsner Urquell with a side of Afro Pop, Frederic Galiano and the African Diva's. This is the tightest band I've ever heard.