OK, I'm highly impressed, and that ain't easy. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OK, I'm highly impressed, and that ain't easy.

markw
07-23-2005, 05:15 AM
Mrs w and I went out last night to PC Richards, a local big box store, to replace her trusty old Gateway laptop that gave up the ghost after 7 years of service.

While she filled out the credit card app (that allows 12 months to pay with no interest) I took a look around at the audio/visual gioodies they had on display there. Yes, ahey had the requisite HTIP items ranging from below $100 up several hundred dollars, the stabdare low line Yamaha (not htathtat's bad, mind you), Sony and one wotwo JCC receivers anda fullline of Polk speakers.

But, something cautght my eya (ear?) as I walked into the showroom. The main titles loop from "the incredibles" was playing, quite cleanly and pleasingly, at a VERY healthy volume and the sounds that surrounded me were impressive. Not ovderdone, but in fitting with what I've heard from my home system. I started lookingto see the source of the sound and, aftetr a few minutes, I wa s drawn to a long, thin grey box under the TV!

The Yamaha Digital Sound Processor does work! Quite welI might say, at least in this room. Yes, they hada small sub hooked up to it bithte point I'm trying to make is that this one piece of gear actually DID produce a loud, clean, pleasing suround experience.

Considering that this one piece obviated the need for a receiver and separate speakers, it seems quoite a bargain at the $1300 they were selling it for.

I'd do one if Ihad the need. For those interested in good sound and don't want to devote the real estate for 5 speakers and a receiver it's a godsend.

Worf101
07-23-2005, 08:36 AM
ALLL the speakers and the amp were in one unit? Or just the amp and fronts? Or the amp, fronts and sub? Help me out, draw a pic...

Da Worfster

markw
07-23-2005, 09:13 AM
Until last night, that is.

http://www.yamaha.ca/av/YSP1/main.jsp

SlumpBuster
07-23-2005, 09:23 AM
I heard this at my local stereo shop just last weekend with Star Wars Ep. 2. It was very nice. Good "life style" product. Much better than htib. But I do have to admit, when the sales guy was asked me "Don't you hear the sound enveloping you?" I had to say "No. No I don't." But, good synergy of price, size, style and sound quality and flexibility.

markw
07-24-2005, 04:57 AM
I was directly in front of it about half way into the room and got the effect. Otherwise I wuldn't be praising it here. That Bose 123 thing never did.

The TV was diagionally in the corner and the YSP was underneath it. Ultimately, what I heard greatly impressed me of it's possibilities.

And, yes, this may be the greatest Lifestyle item since HTIP first hit.

Woochifer
07-24-2005, 01:03 PM
I've only heard it at a low level at a store that had it displayed out in a huge open space with no walls close by. It seemed okay, but nothing that stood out because of those limitations. Good to hear that you got a good listen, and from your assessment, the product lives up to the hype that has accompanied it since CES.

On paper, that Yamaha Sound Projector is a pretty bold approach to virtual surround sound in that it has 44 separate drivers, each of which has an individual digital amplifier, and the whole thing is linked together using a digital crossover. This is way different than the Bose 1-2-3 approach, which is basically the same as any of the DSP virtual surround modes that you find on typical HT receivers. A couple of other threads with more pics are linked below.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=10487
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=11137

PAT.P
07-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Just dont let the wifes see this she might tell you to sell all your speaker to replace it by this.It would of been cheaper.But they do say it better to add a sub.Pat.P

Widowmaker
07-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Granted, I readily admit that I haven't heard the Yamaha Sound Projector firsthand, but from what I've read, you need a PERFECTLY square or rectangular room for it took work fully. In other words, you need four walls in alignment with no cutaways, preferably close to the speaker.

Seeing as how it's rare to find someone with a perfect four wall room, that speaker may not work as well as advertised.

paul_pci
07-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Granted, I readily admit that I haven't heard the Yamaha Sound Projector firsthand, but from what I've read, you need a PERFECTLY square or rectangular room for it took work fully. In other words, you need four walls in alignment with no cutaways, preferably close to the speaker.

Seeing as how it's rare to find someone with a perfect four wall room, that speaker may not work as well as advertised.

Right, it would be perfect for a bedroom and even cooler in a bathroom.