Going From 4:3 To 16:9 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Going From 4:3 To 16:9

oldsmoboat
07-22-2005, 01:40 PM
I currently sit 8 feet from my 4:3, 32" CRT. I am getting a plasma and it will be about 10 feet (wall mount) from me.
My confusing lies in the fact that the new TV will be wider than the old. Is there a size relationship between 4:3 and 16:9? IE: will a 42" wide screen have as much screen "real estate" as a 32" 4:3?

oldsmoboat
07-22-2005, 09:07 PM
I spoke with a salesman at a shop today. He said that a 42" 16:9 has the same area as a 35" 4:3.

edtyct
07-23-2005, 04:00 AM
Actually, a 42" 16:9 screen showing 4:3 material in its correct aspect ratio (with black bars on the sides) has the dimensions of a 34" 4:3 screen. You win all around. Your 10 ft. viewing distance is within the recommended range for higher-resolution material at that size (the upper end), as well as for low-resolution material. Using your widescreen display from edge to edge on 4:3 programs (no black bars) will make even more of an impression. Most sets have a zoom function that is fairly unobtrusive on images at center of the screen, mainly stretching the periphery. If you have a plasma or CRT, I recommend that you use this zoom (along with keeping brightness/contrast at least halfway down), except for your most critical viewing in 4:3, to avoid the possibility of uneven screen wear and/or imprinted images.

Ed

Jim Clark
07-23-2005, 04:05 AM
I spoke with a salesman at a shop today. He said that a 42" 16:9 has the same area as a 35" 4:3.

That's not entirely true. That holds for 4:3 NTSC mode, but when you're watching 16:9 DVDs or broadcasts the 42 inch holds a significant advantage over the 4:3 set. Here's a link to a handy little calculator that lets you compare actual display differences over a variety of viewing modes. Overall, when comparing letterbox formats the 16:9 set will be over 70% larger than the old 35 inch.

http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi?KeohiHDTV

jc

oldsmoboat
07-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the input. I looked a a few different ones and really like a 50". Is that too big for a 10' viewing distance?

edtyct
07-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Not at all. The rule of thumb is that anything from about 6.5 to 12.5 ft. will work for a 50" HDTV (16x9)screen. If you get closer, you risk seeing the picture elements, and if farther, not seeing the detail that you spent all that money to enjoy. Enjoy.

Ed

Widowmaker
07-25-2005, 10:02 AM
On a side note, be mindful of a 42" HD plasma's resolution. On the many I've seen advertised as HD, the resolution is actually 1024x768. As you probably are aware, for 720p, the resolution has to be 1280x720 as the minimum. 1024x768 will show 720p's vertical resolution in it's entirety, but not every line horizontally (again, you need 1280 horizontal lines to show all of 720p).

I honestly don't know how manufacturers get away with this...

edtyct
07-25-2005, 10:42 AM
It just takes a larger panel than 42" for plasma to accommodate 1280 pixels. The vertical rez of 720p for microdisplays or 1080i (for CRTs) is really enough to qualify as HD; the eye is more sensitive to detail vertically than horizonally. Panels at 1024 can easily look more "resolved" than those with a nominally higher horizonal pixel count; finesse in scaling, deinterlacing, color rendition, greyscale, and black level can contribute more to actual image quality than the number of cells. I've seen ED plasmas that look better than many HD plasmas.

Remember also that most 34" direct-view CRTs are seriously challenged in horizontal resolution, rarely getting higher than the mid-800s, but they can still look terrific because of how they do everything else. The Sony XLRs have to huff and puff just to reach 1200. It really is astounding how much consumer display technology is based on compromise to save on cost or simply to work around hardware deficiencies. For example, as good as DLPs can look, at the consumer level, they are a virtual textbook of compromises, crafty and unbelievably intelligent as they are.

Ed

oldsmoboat
07-25-2005, 08:03 PM
So, if I am following correctly, I need to go bigger than 42" if I want 720p?

On a side note, I just replaced my Sony 900ES (DPL) with a Sony 5000ES (DD) and I am getting an error code that tells me to contact a service center (Protector/Check Code 21). That's not a good way to start. :(

edtyct
07-26-2005, 04:49 AM
No, you'll get 720p with the 42" HD-capable panel, as long as the vertical resolution is 720p and higher (generally 768p). Tell me which plasma you have, and I'll confirm. The discussion was about horizontal resolution, which inch for inch in plasmas tends to be lower than that for LCD or DLP, but it isn't a critical difference.

A few plasmas with 768 vertical pixels are more comfortable with 1080i signals than 720p signals, but this situation isn't terribly important for picture quality either.

Ed

edtyct
07-26-2005, 05:40 AM
On a side note, I just replaced my Sony 900ES (DPL) with a Sony 5000ES (DD) and I am getting an error code that tells me to contact a service center (Protector/Check Code 21). That's not a good way to start. :(
I don't know this receiver firsthand, but according to Sony Service Bulletin Document Reference E23914196, this error code can result from use of a "combo active subwoofer/left or right speaker." If your system meets this description, you can't get hold of this bulletin yourself, though maybe your friendly neighborhood Sony tech will tell you something over the phone. Don't bet on it.

Before you unplug and pack it up for service, however, apparently an anomaly in the speaker wire, like plus/minus strands touching or a stray thread shorting on the chassis, can trip this message as well. Shut down and reconnect your cables. Then try again.

Also, the sound from certain DVDs has also been known to elicit this message--Master and Commander and Pirates of the Caribbean, for example. If the message came up during DVD play, change your speaker settings to "small" and give it another try.

Another possibility is the use of remote speakers. If you have any connected, see if the message goes away if you remove them. You may have to contact Sony if you want them back and to make sure that all is well.

Ed

oldsmoboat
07-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Thanks.
I haven't bought a TV yet, still doing the research. I've seen some Samsungs I like and a Pioneer Elite. I haven't looked at too many though.

My receiver problem seems to be tied to the Subwoofer output. If I have anything connected to it, I get the error. No loose wires, I am using banana plugs. I have a splitter in the sub out and then two lines running to my BP 2006s. The front speakers are set to Small. If I eliminate the splitter and just hook up one speaker at a time, I get the same problem with both speakers.

edtyct
07-26-2005, 07:14 PM
I don't know enough about how the Def Techs operate with their included powered woofers to troubleshoot, but from what you say, your situation with speakers running via powered woofers seems to be the very one that elicits the error message. I'd check with Def Tech and/or Sony about it, unless somebody here can offer advice.

Ed

oldsmoboat
07-27-2005, 07:59 AM
I emailed and herad back from Def Tech:
"...The problem you've described is one that has previously turned up with the
Sony STRDA2000ES, STRDA3000ES, and STRDA5000ES receivers. Internally, these
3 x Sony receivers "have a problem" when their LFE output and speaker
outputs are connected to the same powered subwoofer (or powered towers like your BP2006TLs).
Sony has seen this problem and has issued a "Confidential Service Bulletin" on how to correct this problem..."

I'll have to contact Sony now.

edtyct
07-27-2005, 08:31 AM
That's a hopeful sign. You'll know which bulletin it is--E23914196. Good luck.

Ed

oldsmoboat
07-27-2005, 10:01 AM
That's a hopeful sign. You'll know which bulletin it is--E23914196. Good luck.

Ed
Thanks. Just got off thr phone with Sony. I'll be shipping it back to them for the fix.

oldsmoboat
08-27-2005, 10:24 AM
I got the ES receiver back. It had the same problem. The fix didn't work. I took it back and got the Denon 3805.