Where is the sense of value? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Where is the sense of value?

GMichael
07-22-2005, 11:23 AM
In 1998 I made two semi-large purchases. I bought a used car for 17,500 and a new Harley for 14,200. Now, 7 years later I am selling both. But now the car is worth about 2K and the Harley is worth almost the 14k I paid for it. Tell me how this makes sense. In a practical sense, the car is worth much more to me. How does this work out?

mystic
07-24-2005, 02:38 PM
In 1998 I made two semi-large purchases. I bought a used car for 17,500 and a new Harley for 14,200. Now, 7 years later I am selling both. But now the car is worth about 2K and the Harley is worth almost the 14k I paid for it. Tell me how this makes sense. In a practical sense, the car is worth much more to me. How does this work out?

Some things depreciate, and some things don't. It has more to do with supply and demand than with the usefulness of the product. I read somewhere that smart people don't like to buy things that depreciate. Consider yourself smart for having bought the Harley.

GMichael
07-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Some things depreciate, and some things don't. It has more to do with supply and demand than with the usefulness of the product. I read somewhere that smart people don't like to buy things that depreciate. Consider yourself smart for having bought the Harley.

I did buy the Harley knowing that it would keep it's resale value better than others. I was going to buy a used one back then until I found the prices to be the same for new. But it still doesn't seem to make sense to me other than it is what it is.