What I want from HD DVD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What I want from HD DVD

swgiust
07-21-2005, 10:39 AM
An open letter to the powers at Sony/Toshiba ect:

Give us HD DVD!! (I don't care if it's HD DVD or Blue ray or anything else!)

Heres the specs I want:

#1: 1080p. If your going to do it, do it right.

#2: 16 channels of digital output. 9.4 discrete audio output (left,right,center,2 sides, 2 backs height and dept plus 4 sub outputs) the rest can be digital "trigger" channels for accesories. How cool would it be to have a strobe light that goes off with explosions?
Or chair shakers that move you to the movie? It would be nice if each channel were
assignable. 4 fronts, not problem, 2 center channels, if thats what you want.

#3: Backwards compatibilty. Come on, you can buy a DVD player at Walmart for $ 20.00.
You can't tell me you can't stick an extra laser in a DVD player so it can play multiple
formats.

#4: Get it out soon. Don't delay. I want it for Christmas!!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-21-2005, 11:37 AM

Heres the specs I want:

And change our standard? No way, we would have have to start from scratch and we have already spend millions in RD.

#2: 16 channels of digital output. 9.4 discrete audio output (left,right,center,2 sides, 2 backs height and dept plus 4 sub outputs) the rest can be digital "trigger" channels for accesories. How cool would it be to have a strobe light that goes off with explosions?
Or chair shakers that move you to the movie? It would be nice if each channel were

The WAF would prevent this wish from making my format a mainstream format. Besides, assignable channels would require that post production have this many channels available to choose from. This would require extensive retooling of every post production facility in the world, as no studio is able to handle 9 channels let alone 16.

Having 16 assignable channels would just invite all kinds of errors in processing if the user accendentally assigns a channel to the wrong place. Consumers would have to know exactly what they are doing, or this would be destined to fail in the field.

#3: Backwards compatibilty. Come on, you can buy a DVD player at Walmart for $ 20.00.
You can't tell me you can't stick an extra laser in a DVD player so it can play multiple
formats.

It will be backwards compatible, so you can cross this off your wish list.

Your first few request are not in our current standards, so we will have to redesign our entire format from the gound up. This means more like Christmas of 2006 rather than this year.

Man, this is hard work playing devils advocate for the manufacturers. I hope they pay me more than ABC currently is.

nick4433
07-21-2005, 03:43 PM

Heres the specs I want:

formats.

While you are at it, why not ask for a Home Theater say the size of a small Imax to hold all those speakers?

Woochifer
07-21-2005, 04:30 PM
While you are at it, why not ask for a Home Theater say the size of a small Imax to hold all those speakers?

Nickster -

I thought you were well on your way to that kind of multichannel nirvana until that UFO abducted you and left us with a replicant Nick who's into two-channel! Seems that the original Nick still hasn't returned. :D

BTW, where the hell you been, and why you letting us run the perverbial asylum?

07-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Nickster -

I thought you were well on your way to that kind of multichannel nirvana until that UFO abducted you and left us with a replicant Nick who's into two-channel! Seems that the original Nick still hasn't returned. :D

Yeah what Wooch said........have you lost your mind?????

shokhead
07-22-2005, 05:53 AM
No reason to do it right the first time. They can wait a couple of years and then,2nd generation BlueRay. You get the idea.

edtyct
07-22-2005, 06:19 AM
Well, at least Sony has pretensions of 1080p, even though the demos that I know thus far have been 1080i. But the incentive for 1080p panels and engines isn't all that high in a steadfastly 1080i world. As Sir T can probably confirm, no broadcasters are equipped for it; any 1080p (24 fps) material in the shop has to be converted to interlaced at 30 fps for broadcast. The bandwidth and electronics required for 1080p at 60 fps would require a sea change that is not about to appear overnight. Yet, 1080p is not a complete fiction; it already has rumblings in the panels that can upconvert to it and in Sony's own upper end, which actually can input it. I agree that at least a nod and a wink to the viability of 1080p is a desirable feature in any putatively future-proof format.

Ed

nick4433
07-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Nickster -

Wooch and Sir TT. You are like those relatives who constantly remind you of your past when you want to start a new life. Where is the witness protection program when you need it? :D

07-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Wooch and Sir TT. You are like those relatives who constantly remind you of your past when you want to start a new life. Where is the witness protection program when you need it? :D

Didn't you find out that the program was going to send you to Nor. Cal, so you declined to participate under the grounds that it was too close to us?

swgiust
07-23-2005, 06:54 AM
Ok, so I know I'm dreaming but it's always fun!

What about one point that I made. Digital trigger channels.
It seems that alot could be done with that. Like I said, a strobe
light or a bass shaker. Or how about you hook up your garden
hose and have a mist maker in the rainy scenes?? Or even better,
a gas line and have real flames!!!