Cool looking small footprint DIY speaker... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cool looking small footprint DIY speaker...

poneal
07-21-2005, 07:46 AM
JKrute over at the PE board posted a link to his latest creation. Thought I would post the link here in case someone was interested in making something small and inexpensive. They look pretty cool and I do not know how hard it is to make the cabinet. Worth a look though.
Slimline Wall-Mounted Speaker - Aura NS3-193 / Dayton ND20TB-4
http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker20b.html

kexodusc
07-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Awesome, I've been following that for awhile now...
Zaph knows his stuff for sure, I've heard two of his projects now (decided to do one too), the Hi-Vi 3" full-range and the L15RLYP / 27TFFC.

I have little doubt these will be just as excellent.
Gotta admit, he's damn funny too.

Swerd
07-21-2005, 09:42 AM
I've heard two of his projects now (decided to do one too), the Hi-Vi 3" full-range and the L15RLYP / 27TFFC.Kex, what were your impressions of the Seas L15RLYP / 27TFFC 2-way? I've thought about building a set, but have never heard them.

And Paul, have you heard this combination and how similar do you think it is to your less costly RS150 - MDT-20 design? You already know I like the sound of the Morel tweeter, and yes I realise yours has a sealed box unlike john K's ported design.

poneal
07-21-2005, 09:53 AM
I haven't heard the Seas L15RLYP / 27TFFC 2-way. BTW, a buddy of mine made a ported version of the RS150_MDT20 and loved it too. He has since swapped out the MDT20 for a RS28. He keeps dropping hints to me that I should get the RS28. Maybe a three way RS will be my next project. Need to do some other things first though so it will probably not be ready until winter time. It's just so darn hot, I have a hard time motivating myself to get out in the garage where its like an oven.

kexodusc
07-22-2005, 03:04 AM
The L15RLYP / 27TFFC was a fantastic speaker for the money, well above what I've heard similarly priced kits sound like.
Zaph's recommended his Seas L18 / 27TBFCG as being a bit better for a bit more money a few times in the past. He seems to prefer the 27TBFCG tweeter to the RS28 as well, claims better performance for 1/2 the price or so...my own listening experiences probably favor the Seas as a better value, not sure if it's absolutely better sounding though.

I'd be curious to hear how the RS150 stacks up against a 5" seas aluminum woofer too. I'm always looking for value buys, and Dayton woofers have always been just that.

First I have some cheap projects to do with the Aluminum drivers..

hmmmm
07-23-2005, 07:19 AM
JKrute over at the PE board posted a link to his latest creation. Thought I would post the link here in case someone was interested in making something small and inexpensive. They look pretty cool and I do not know how hard it is to make the cabinet. Worth a look though.
Slimline Wall-Mounted Speaker - Aura NS3-193 / Dayton ND20TB-4
http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker20b.html

I love the look of these speakers. Has anyone here made wall mountable surrounds that match the ar.coms? I wouldn't mind making 3 surrounds with maybe the same tweeter and a smaller woofer to fit in my tight spaces.

kexodusc
07-24-2005, 04:44 AM
Modding the Ar.com's to be smaller wouldn't be too difficult...with the 6.5" woofer you could get away with reducing the cabinet depth, and most likely the other dimensions a bit to shrink them down to wall mountable-ish size...i'd keep the cabinet sealed. This would allow you to keep the same crossovers if you want. I wouldn't expect the performance to be quite as good, but probably close, and still more than satisfactory for surround use

Or you could tackle an XO for the smaller Peerless woofers...if you're really interested, I could send you info to a project with the 4" Peerless CSX woofer (same woofer family as the ar.com woofer) and the same 812687 tweeter...It wouldn't be hard to shrink the box size down to make them relatively tiny surrounds. They might not be a perfect match tonality wise, but they'd be darn close, as close as other speaker brands with different woofer sizes get, and a bit cheaper than the AR.com's because of the smaller woofer.

I think you still have my e-mail...let me know.