Mass Loading - What will it do? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mass Loading - What will it do?

duvallite
07-20-2005, 06:20 PM
I have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 5i speakers, and I've read that mass loading is a recommended tweak for them. What effect on the bass will mass loading, say 20-25 lbs of shot or sand, have on these speakers, or for that matter, on any speakers in general?

kexodusc
07-21-2005, 04:28 AM
Hard to say, I have my towers mass loaded with clean cat litter, but I didn't really hear a difference after the fact, they're just much harder to move (and 1" MDF is heavy enough).

As the volume increases, woofers really move a lot of air, and there's a lot of energy hitting the cabinet inside. Extra mass should help stabilize the speaker even more and make sure the energy is absorbed and released in a more ideal manner. If your cabinet is already pretty heavy and well braced though, you might not notice any difference at all.

At "average" volumes or lower, I can't see it making a difference at all.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-21-2005, 04:51 AM
Hard to say, I have my towers mass loaded with clean cat litter, but I didn't really hear a difference after the fact, they're just much harder to move (and 1" MDF is heavy enough).

As the volume increases, woofers really move a lot of air, and there's a lot of energy hitting the cabinet inside. Extra mass should help stabilize the speaker even more and make sure the energy is absorbed and released in a more ideal manner. If your cabinet is already pretty heavy and well braced though, you might not notice any difference at all.

At "average" volumes or lower, I can't see it making a difference at all.

Good explanation. Doc Greene also says that adding mass(with most speakers) will tighten the bass response, especiallly at high volumes.

kexodusc
07-21-2005, 05:43 AM
One other thing though, I can't see a 2nd, hollow chamber in a speaker being a good thing...It's probably not a bad idea to spend a few dollars on polyfill, or just put some sand or lead shot in it anyway.