Mercury Prize Shortlist.... Comments?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Prize Shortlist.... Comments??

audiobill
07-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Hey, RR folks!!

Still vacationing and still listening to some very cool music, beachside.

Picked up a British newspaper (at a Florida Walgreens of all places!! -- ton of Brits in Florida, Mike!!) and couldn't help but notice this year's Mercury Prize.

This is one list that I anticipate each year because it has inevitably turned me onto some excellent new music, in the past.

F.Y.I., this year's shortlist looks like there's tons to discover and (as is often the case, RRers have already mentioned some of these new releases) reflect upon.

Antony and the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Coldplay - X&Y
The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike
Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV
Kaiser Chiefs - Employment (hey, FA, when I get home we'll have to talk!!)
Seth Lakeman - Kitty Jay
The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers
M.I.A. - Arular
Maxïmo Park - A Certain Trigger
Polar Bear - Held on the Tips of Fingers
KT Tunstall - Eye to the Telescope

* Nationwide Mercury Prize: http://www.nationwidemercurys.com/

So.........
What are your comments on some of these that you have already heard. Are they worthy??
Cheers,
audiobill

Slosh
07-20-2005, 01:18 PM
So . . . you can get a prize for simply not sucking?

My vote goes to Bloc Party. Not much competition IMO.

ForeverAutumn
07-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Kaiser Chiefs - Employment (hey, FA, when I get home we'll have to talk!!)

Geezuz Bill, how long are you on vacation for? Seems like you've been in FL since May!

We missed the KCs live. They came and went before I knew who they were and how good they were.

So . . . you can get a prize for simply not sucking?

Sorry Sloshy. Better luck next year. :D

Sorry. I just couldn't resist that one. :)

Stone
07-20-2005, 05:18 PM
I've only heard two of them:

Antony & the Johnsons

and

MIA

and they are both easily worthy of being on the short list if you ask me, although by the end of the year it's possible that neither will make my top 5.

Dusty Chalk
07-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Sorry Sloshy. Better luck next year. :D

Sorry. I just couldn't resist that one. :) Kelso: Ooohh, burrrrnnn!

audiobill
07-21-2005, 11:43 AM
I've only heard two of them:

Antony & the Johnsons

and

MIA

and they are both easily worthy of being on the short list if you ask me, although by the end of the year it's possible that neither will make my top 5.

Hey, Stone.

Antony & the Johnsons is an odd name for a band imo. What are they like?? Details, please.

Thanks,
audiobill

audiobill
07-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Geezuz Bill, how long are you on vacation for? Seems like you've been in FL since May!

[/SIZE]

Well, ForeverAutumn, we've been on vacation now for 22 days. We're leaving tomorrow for home. We'll stopover in Tennesee (sp??) and continue on from there, the next day, to Toronto (ummm Whitby).

I understand that you've been hitting higher temperatures in T.O., than we have been here in sunny Anna Maria Island.

Talk to you soon.
audiobill

Mike
07-22-2005, 02:41 AM
Antony and the Johnsons centres around Antony who spent some time in the UK before flipping to the states to become amongst other things a drag queen and backing vocalist for Lou Reed. The single Hope There's Someone has been a big success round these parts and I quite like it as a song but I personally just can't get on with his voice. His voice is so distinctive it will divide people, he switches high and low almost operatic at times but you really need to hear him to decide for yourself. Plus he’s not too pretty to look at!

As for some of the other Mercury nominees I would vote for Bloc Party and the Kaiserchiefs, but wouldn't discount someone like KT Tunstall. Then you've got Hard Fi and The Magic Numbers who might be in with a chance too. But where is British Sea Power? that might be my favourite of the year so far.

Funny thing is I always thought the Mercury prize was for new upcoming bands i.e. debut albums, but the list features new and established bands like Coldplay seems kind of unfair to me.

Cheers
Mike

audiobill
07-24-2005, 07:00 AM
Antony and the Johnsons centres around Antony who spent some time in the UK before flipping to the states to become amongst other things a drag queen and backing vocalist for Lou Reed. The single Hope There's Someone has been a big success round these parts and I quite like it as a song but I personally just can't get on with his voice. His voice is so distinctive it will divide people, he switches high and low almost operatic at times but you really need to hear him to decide for yourself. Plus he’s not too pretty to look at!

As for some of the other Mercury nominees I would vote for Bloc Party and the Kaiserchiefs, but wouldn't discount someone like KT Tunstall. Then you've got Hard Fi and The Magic Numbers who might be in with a chance too. But where is British Sea Power? that might be my favourite of the year so far.

Funny thing is I always thought the Mercury prize was for new upcoming bands i.e. debut albums, but the list features new and established bands like Coldplay seems kind of unfair to me.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks for the very helpful capsules of information, Mike.

I think I'll pass on Antony & the Johnsons, for now. I must have seen the guy when I saw Lou Reed about 18 mos. ago but, as a back-up singer, I can't remember him. I agree that Coldplay has no business on this list -- too bad.

I'll have to definitely try to get my ears onto some KD Tunstall and the Bloc Party.

Thanks-a-ton for the 'cross the pond missisve,

Bill

Stone
07-25-2005, 07:21 AM

Thanks, Mike. I missed the question from Bill until now. I agree his voice is divisive - he voice is very high (think Boy George-ish), and the style of the music is almost a modern lounge music, but much darker. This is definitely not everyone's cup of tea, and Bill, I'm not sure one way or the other whether it would be yours.

audiobill
07-25-2005, 08:00 AM
Thanks Stone.

He sounds intriguing, but I'll pass for now -- until I hear a couple of songs of his, first.

Cheers,
Bill