Why younger reviewers sometimes are not to be trusted.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why younger reviewers sometimes are not to be trusted..

-Jar-
07-20-2005, 07:36 AM
From a review of a new comp called "New Waves" in Pitchfork today:

So while a couple listens through New Waves may make you feel a bit like an idiot for having loudly trumpeted the fresh sound of Franz Ferdinand to your friends last year, it's not too late to dig the sound of the first time around.

You're not an idiot for missing the Post-punk/New Wave movement of the late 70's/early 80's, especially if you were too young to notice, but certainly for a reviewer to miss the connection to bands like Franz Ferdinand or Interpol is a pretty big oops in my book..

At least he admits it.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/comp/family/new-waves.shtml

daigoro
07-20-2005, 05:25 PM
I think that pop music really was great for those years (77-83). There are so many great albums from that era with that special synergy of rock, punk, and new wave.

Just off the top of my head...

London Calling (or pretty much any Clash album)
Zenyatta Mondatta (or pretty much any Police Album)
Moving Pictures, Signals, (Rush)
The Wall, Animals, Final Cut (Pink Floyd)
Tattoo You (Rolling Stones)
Look Sharp! (Joe Jackson)
Highway to Hell, Back in Black (AC/DC)
All the good Elvis Costello albums
Van Halen
Fleetwood Mac
Tom Petty....

forget it. Too many to list!

ForeverAutumn
07-20-2005, 05:46 PM
because my husband and I were talking about that same thing, sort of, on the weekend. I was a real metalhead in the 80's and dismissed all of that new wave/punk stuff. Whereas Hubby was into all of that stuff in the 80's.

So, I'm totally into all of the 'new' 80's sounds of Franz, The Killers, Kaiser Chiefs, etc. And he thinks it's all just a rip off of the past.

Me thinks I've got some catching up to do.

Mr MidFi
07-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Remember when we all picked a year and did our own Retro comps for that year? I pulled out my 1980 disc just last night. Man, what a great year that was for me.

(Not to pat myself on the back, but that disc was one of my better efforts.)

-Jar-
07-21-2005, 01:23 PM
I don't think I got 1980.. I got maf's 1979 which totally rules. I did 1989, 1990 and 1991 and still listen to them quite often, though they are a bit slanted towards things I was playing on college radio those years.

-jar

Mr MidFi
07-21-2005, 01:39 PM
I don't think I got 1980.. I got maf's 1979 which totally rules. I did 1989, 1990 and 1991 and still listen to them quite often, though they are a bit slanted towards things I was playing on college radio those years.

-jar

Say no more. I'll get one out to ya. It's not nearly as hip as maf-tamer's disc. I went a lot more nostalgic/eclectic than proto-indie-hipster with it, trying to recreate my life as a pimply-faced teenage record store drudge. A blast from my misspent past, all for your beverage-resting pleasure.

BarryL
07-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Say no more. I'll get one out to ya. It's not nearly as hip as maf-tamer's disc. I went a lot more nostalgic/eclectic than proto-indie-hipster with it, trying to recreate my life as a pimply-faced teenage record store drudge. A blast from my misspent past, all for your beverage-resting pleasure.

The Police had nothing on Joan Armatrading that year. Yeah, good comp. Nice pic of King and Queen (He thought he was the king of America...).