3-D movies for home viewing? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 3-D movies for home viewing?

dean_martin
07-19-2005, 06:34 PM
I was reading Lex's review of the Amityville box set and noticed that Amityville 3-D is not presented in 3-D. The only 3-D movies I can recall from collection are Phil Tucker's masterpiece (tongue in cheek) Robot Monster on VHS by Rhino. You can tell that something 3-D-like is going on in some scenes, but whatever effects are there are not impressive, even with those stylish glasses, much like the movie itself. I also have a William Castle styled film on vhs that has something to do with a haunted house, castle or wax museum, but it's 3-D effects are not impressive either. Rhino released several 3-D B-movies like Cat Women of the Moon on vhs.

Most of these movies are presented in 2-D for their dvd release. However, I have come across a package set that includes a box that goes between your tv and dvd player, a 3-D movie - House on Haunted Hill, I think - and other accessories that reportedly is very effective in providing real 3-D for your home theater.

Can anyone recommend a 3-D movie that actually works at home?

Lexmark3200
07-20-2005, 09:02 AM
I was reading Lex's review of the Amityville box set and noticed that Amityville 3-D is not presented in 3-D. The only 3-D movies I can recall from collection are Phil Tucker's masterpiece (tongue in cheek) Robot Monster on VHS by Rhino. You can tell that something 3-D-like is going on in some scenes, but whatever effects are there are not impressive, even with those stylish glasses, much like the movie itself. I also have a William Castle styled film on vhs that has something to do with a haunted house, castle or wax museum, but it's 3-D effects are not impressive either. Rhino released several 3-D B-movies like Cat Women of the Moon on vhs.

Most of these movies are presented in 2-D for their dvd release. However, I have come across a package set that includes a box that goes between your tv and dvd player, a 3-D movie - House on Haunted Hill, I think - and other accessories that reportedly is very effective in providing real 3-D for your home theater.

Can anyone recommend a 3-D movie that actually works at home?

Dean,

First of all, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for taking the time to read the Amityville review; with regard to your question, I can think of one DVD that comes with a pair of 3-D glasses in the box set when you buy the box set of the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET DVDs, and that is FREDDY'S DEAD: THE FINAL NIGHTMARE.....however, they didnt really work too well (the glasses).........

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-20-2005, 10:47 AM
The only other that I can think of is Spy Kids 3, and it works fairly good on that DVD. Good depth in the image, but the colors are a little wacky thanks to the particular 3D process in use. Don't think the mean Dean would enjoy that kind of movie.

Breezer88888
07-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Hmmm, intereting post. My kid has Spy Kids 3 and we still have the glasses. I think I'll try it out. Should be interesting on a large widescreen. Thanks for the tip.

dean_martin
07-20-2005, 05:15 PM
The only other that I can think of is Spy Kids 3, and it works fairly good on that DVD. Good depth in the image, but the colors are a little wacky thanks to the particular 3D process in use. Don't think the mean Dean would enjoy that kind of movie.

I didn't think I would enjoy that kind of movie initially, but I didn't know that Robert Rodriguez directed all 3. Plus, I haven't seen Ricardo Montalban in anything in years. It might be worth a look. (Oh, and I see that Salma Hayek and Mike Judge are in it too.)Thanks for the suggestion.