HotHotHeat-Elevator // review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HotHotHeat-Elevator // review

3-LockBox
07-19-2005, 11:13 AM
I remember the buzz caused by this band's first release, <i>Make Up The Breakdown</i>, just two or three years ago right here at RR. I was ambivelent about it at first, since it was outside of my immediate area of interest, but I was so taken with it from the first time I listened to it.

I did not have the same response to this new release. Its a bit more polished and a tad less jaunty and witty than its predicessor. Sure, <b>HHH</b> is no different from bands like the Hives, Vines, Jet, etc., in that they are derrivative of the late '70s/early '80s punk/new wave sound, albeit HHH leaned more towards the far end of new wave, though, that influence is faint on this new release. Its a tact that sounded refreshing against a backdrop of indie-band-by-numbers pablum that was, and still is, the status quo. I'd rather listen to <b>HHH</b> than a lot of the neo-wave posers for sure.

But still,<i>Elevator</i> is somewhat disappointing compared to the promise of the first full length CD,<I>Make Up The Breakdown</i>. Whereas MUTB was short by today's standards, it left me wanting more. This new one is tad longer, but doesn't hold my attention past the 7th track. The disc does have its moments like 'Jingle Jangle' 'Goodnight Goodnight' and 'You Owe Me An IOU', but for the most part <b>HHH</b> sounds a bit more controlled, (or restrained) and a lot less combustable than on MUTB. It's as though they abandoned the blueprint of MUTB and opted for a more mainstream sound, perhaps to in an effort to appeal to a broader audience, much in the same way <b>No Doubt</b> compromised their original sound. Sure, it might sell a more copies now, but in the long run, they'll be as disposable any other corporate product.

If you're a diehard fan of <b>HotHotHeat</b>, then this is for you. If not, don't bother. I liken the difference twix <i>MUTB</i> and <i>Elevator</i> unto going from <b>The Cars</b> debut album, straight to <i>Door To Door</i> (without ever having exposure to whats in between).

Snowbunny
08-18-2005, 07:22 AM
Wow, what was this great review doing way at the bottom of page two! Nice review, Lox. Too bad such a great post got so few views. But then I think that's one of the problems facing this forum.

If someone were to do a google search for HotHotHeat, they'd never find this link. I wonder why this board seems so invisible on the net?

Anyway, thanks for the great review! I had totally forgotten they had a new album.

Snowie