On Tuesday, neither get married nor begin a journey [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : On Tuesday, neither get married nor begin a journey

Monkey Bones
07-19-2005, 07:53 AM
Now there's a proverb for you! Doesn't say anything about reporting on some of your favorite listening time in the last week, though ... so let's hear it!

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/server.gif

Ah, now back to reality. Is it getting busier here, or are they just getting a little pickier about who they let in? Cause I've been getting that a lot lately ;)

Anyway, not too much new from this angle. Been listening a lot to that Best of the Animals That Swim called Faded Glamour that I reported on in the ebay thread. 14 song retrospective culled from their three albums and some singles and EPs. Very nice, especially since I previously only have their Workshy debut. Really underrated band in that classic late 80s early 90s quirky and literate britpop field popularized by the Smiths.

Mike
07-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Pink Floyd - Echoes, listened to it again but I still don't care for the sequencing

Hard Fi - Stars of CCTV, hailed as the next best thing on the Britpop post punk ska scene, it's not bad actually with some catchy little numbers

Mountain Goats - Sunset Tree

Micah P Hinson - The Baby and the Satellite

Richmond Fontaine - The Fitzgerald, still struggling with this, when I read the reviews I think am I listening to the same album, oh well...

Ryan Adams & Cardinals - Cold Roses, finally picked it up and it's a good album more like Whiskeytown ie a proper band album. But I still think with careful selection it would make one better 12-14 track single album

Alabama 3 - Outlaw
Mojave 3 - Excuses for Travellers
Jesse Sykes - Reckless Burning

Cheers
Mike

Stone
07-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Shout Out Louds - Howl Howl Gaff Gaff

Wire - Pink Flag

Talking Heads - '77

Of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins

The Auteurs - New Wave

Sleater-Kinney - The Woods

AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Stone Roses - Turns Into Stone

Rocket From the Crypt - RFTC

Black Flag - The First Four Years

ForeverAutumn
07-19-2005, 09:36 AM
I once got a fortune, in a fortune cookie, that said, "Beware of cookies bearing fortunes". Needless to say, I didn't eat the cookie. :eek:

For this weeks listening pleasure...

The Kaiser Chiefs - Employment - many, many spins.

The Redwalls - De Nova - I was gonna put up a separate thread for this one, but I'll just comment on it here. It has all the elements to be a great CD except originality. So, instead, it kinda bores me. Not boring enough to take it out of my car CD player, but enough so that I want to get through it and get to The Kaiser Chiefs already!

Pink Floyd - The Delicate Sound of Thunder - It's PF. What more needs to be said. :)

The Tea Party - Seven Circles - A top notch disk. I really have to see these guys live one of these days. They play around here all the time but I just never seem to be able to make it.

Isilder's Bane - Mind Vol. 1 and Mind Vol. 4 - These disks are so very different from each other! I'm still getting to know them, but have enjoyed them both very much so far.

Dream Theater - Octavarium - Enough said about this one for a while.

The Trews - House of Ill Fame - New Trews disk coming out this fall. Yippee!!!

Boy - Every Page You Turn - I finally was motivated to return to the gym after a several month lapse. This is a great CD to work-out to.

There's more, but I can't remember. So that's all you get from me this week. ;)

Oh yeah, I'm getting that server message too. It's getting very frustrating. Geoffcin...what's going on dude?

newtrix1
07-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Madeleine Peyroux - Careless Love
The Ocean Blue - Cerulean
Yes -Yessongs, Drama
Lamb - What Sound?
Camper Van Beethoven - My Beloved Rev. Sweetheart
The Geraldine Fibbers - Lost Somewhere Between Earth & My Home
Dismemberment Plan - Change
One Dove - Morning Dove White
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Mr MidFi
07-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Gawd knows when I actually played these things, but it was all probably within the past 2 weeks:

Pink Floyd - WYWH and Final Cut...I'm guessing a lot of folks have been playing Floyd lately.

Spoon - Gimme Fiction...Major, major props and gratitude to Davey for turning me on to this.

The J. Geils Band - Live Full House...100% fun. A classic.

Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere...Yes, it's more than just one cool song. Lots to like here.

The Very Best of the Stone Roses...Clocks in around 78 minutes, ergo most of their career.

Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed (remaster)

Radiohead - The Bends...This one is still my favorite from them.

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me...Plenty mellowness.

Elvis Costello - Trust (remaster)...Very good remastering job, and vintage Costello.

Wilco - YHF and A Ghost Is Born...For the first time ever, I enjoyed the latter as much as the former. Definitely a grower!

Passengers - Soundtracks...Interesting sonic textures and song experiments on this U2 side-project. Been years since I listened, and I'm glad I did.

Franz Ferdinand...Do I need to say something here?

The Notwist - Neon Golden...Or here?

David Bowie - Fame and Fashion...One of the first CDs I bought, back in 1985 or 86. Very nice career overview.

U2 - How to Dismantle...Hard pop songs with a message. It's what they do. Why the hatin'?

REM - Around the Sun...Not exciting, but solid and enjoyable.

Live Aid (DVD)...Found it for 19.99. If it was highlights, all on one disc, I'd love it.

Peter Gabriel - Growing Up (DVD)...Excellent production, but too many slow moments.

Davey
07-19-2005, 12:06 PM
One Dove - Morning Dove White
Cool album. Always really liked that one and pretty much every thing she has done after, even though none of it has exactly been mind-blowing, and most of the vocals that she's done on other albums are usually of the pushed back and washed out trip-hop variety, and aren't very distinctive. I know that Dusty and I disagreed a little bit about some of the songs on Dot's last CD which moved into more of a syncopated and upbeat Madonna dance style than I typically like, but I did still really like it for the other side, the darker and more melancholy side, as I think he did too. She's got a lot of depth but she needs someone like me to guide her into the promised land - just give me a call, Dot. I'm here for ya ;)

nobody
07-19-2005, 12:56 PM
I've had lots of listening time this week...mostly been getting lost in electronic stuff, mostly with a laid back vibe. Some of the highlights have been...

<b>AFX - Analord 1-11</b>
Release of 11 12" singles on vinyl only by Aphex Twin. They sound most like Selected Ambient Works and Analogue Bubblebath, compared to his previous output. Right now, I’m just digging the MP3s, looking forward to vinyl copies coming in. Since they reflect the era of his I tend to enjoy the most, these are welcome additions for me. Vinyl's fine with me, but I do have to wonder if he'll ever put 'em out on a CD or what?

<b>Enthoegenic - Dialogue of the Speaker</b>
This one should really appeal to fans of stuff like Tosca and Thievery Corporation. Electronica with a world beat flair and interesting percussive influences.

<b>F.S. Blumm - Zweite Meer</b>
More electronica, this time very smooth and ambient. More great stuff from Morr Music out of Germany, a label that I'm beginning to think should just go ahead and ship me whatever they release.

<b>Lali Puna - I Thought I Was Over That</b>
Compilation of older material, particularly remixes either by other of Lali Puna material or by Lali Puna of other's material, along with a couple of new tracks. Great listening for someone like me that just got into this group on Faking the Books.

<b>Wax Tailor - Tales of Forgotten Melodies</b>
Saw a thread on this on another board and was immediately drawn in. Fans of Portishead are sure to like this one, as long as they are not turned off by the obvious similarities.

<b>The Orb - Bicycles and Tricycles</b>
Last year's effort from the Orb is much more beat forward than everything they've done and even includes a little rap song. About half of it sounds more traditionally Orb-ish, and the other half is still a fun listen. maybe not one of their best, but plenty to like and bass freaks may wanna make special note of this one as there is some seriously ground shaking going on in there.

<b>Tarwater - The Needle Was Traveling</b>
More German stuff. This time, it’s not ALL electronic and mixes post-rock with its electronics and sustains a mostly mid-tempo vibe. Lyrics included on these tracks, in English so not to worry of you actually like to understand what is being said.

More...but I'm not feeling like writing anymore...I'll save 'em for next week or something...

Slosh
07-19-2005, 01:06 PM
AC/DC - High Voltage
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Chisel - Set You Free
Deftones - Adrenaline
Enon - High Society
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Gabriel, Peter - Shaking The Tree
Holopaw
Iron Maiden - Killers
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Kinks - Come Dancing (Best Of)
Les Savy Fav - Inches
Malkmus, Stephen - Face The Truth (sheesh man, I cannot stop playing this)
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
Oxes
Pink Floyd - Animals
Q And Not U - Different Damage
Robbins, Wayne & The Hellsayers - Lonesome Sea
Sepultura - Chaos AD
Tool - Undertow
Ugly Casanova - Sharpen Your Teeth
Vaughan, Stevie Ray & Double Trouble - Couldn't Stand The Weather
Wynn, Steve - Here Come The Miracles
XTC - Skylarking
Yes - 90125
ZZ Top - Tejas

This year has produced some very high quality albums, and in fact three have been the best yet from relatively recent favorites (Andrew Bird, The Decemberists, and Stephen Malkmus), but the quantity for my interest level has been quite low so I devised a simple scheme and stuck with it (yes, I listened to all those albums in alphabetical order). I was more than a little surprised that I listened to more albums than what I listed in a week, and some more than once at that. The styles were varied enough to keep things interesting on any given day and a few of these I haven't listened to since literally the last millenium. ;) I gotta say my little experiment was a smashing sucess and I'll definitely have to try it again before too long.

3-LockBox
07-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Is that the album with 'River High' on it? Boy, that song was an instant hit with me...its right up my ally.

I think I remember a comp you sent me a few years ago...Disjointed?...was that you?

Anyhooo...I kinda like that ABC concept...I too, try to make myself reconsider CDs I hadn't listened in a long time...comp making kinda put a kabash on album listening for me some time ago when I got my first CD burner. It was fun to hear albums all the way through whereas up til then, I'd been cherry pickin CDs for comps.

BTW: I have an old Zebra CD incase you run out of 'Z's to listen to while maintaining strict adherence to your ABC schedule :D

Slosh
07-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Yeah, "River High" is on Set You Free. Hmm, I know Disjointed is one of mine but for the life of me I can't remember what's on it. Maybe it's time to dig it out . . .

Hehehe, the only Zebra song I have is an mp3 of "Who's Behind The Door?". Cool song even if it is kind of a Led Zep rip-off. :)

Actually I made the list before hand and stuck to it. It was very tempting to wander off list. You know, you listen to one album and it puts you in the mood to hear something similar . . .

NP: Rush - Moving Pictures (Yes, really! ;) )

Swish
07-19-2005, 04:26 PM
the reception's gotten fuzzy
the delicate balance has shifted
put on your black pumps, let's pretend the fog has lifted
now you see me, now you don't
now you say you love me, pretty soon you won't
if we get our full threescore and ten
we won't pass this way again

so kiss me with your mouth open
tilt the tires toward the street
and stay sweet

all the chickens come on home to roost
black bodies plump against the sky
you know it breaks my heart in half, in half
when I see them trying to fly
because you just can't do things your body wasn't meant to
hike up your fishnets, I know you
if we live to see the other side of this
i will remember your kiss

so do it with your mouth open
and take your foot off of the brake
for christ's sake

Want to know more? Just ask.

Swish

Ex Lion Tamer
07-19-2005, 06:59 PM
but the quantity for my interest level has been quite low so I devised a simple scheme and stuck with it (yes, I listened to all those albums in alphabetical order). I was more than a little surprised that I listened to more albums than what I listed in a week, and some more than once at that. The styles were varied enough to keep things interesting on any given day and a few of these I haven't listened to since literally the last millenium. ;) I gotta say my little experiment was a smashing sucess and I'll definitely have to try it again before too long.

Neat little idea there. I used to pick albums at random, (assign each of my albums a catalogue number and then pick a number at random). A great way to vary my listening and keep things interesting.

Didn't listen to much this week, as I was on vacation with my family. Was able to listen to sneak a listen to these one's though...

Radiohead - The Bends
The Notwist - Neon Golden
Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane over the Sea
The Doves - The Last Broadcast
Arcade Fire - Funeral

Davey
07-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Want to know more? Just ask.

Swish
Looks like Mike and you have something in common this week. So, do you guys like it or not? Been tempted ... how many of those tree covers have there been recently? Twilight Singers and Over The Rhine were almost the same, and then this one too. And I'm sure I just recently saw another one too.

Davey
07-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Malkmus, Stephen - Face The Truth (sheesh man, I cannot stop playing this)

Hehehe, have you met my buddy Doug yet?

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1500893&postcount=2044

tentoze
07-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Only one of particular note among a slew of music played- Micah P. Hinson & the Gospel of Progress....easily jumps to the head of the line.

Swish
07-20-2005, 04:09 AM
Looks like Mike and you have something in common this week. So, do you guys like it or not? Been tempted ... how many of those tree covers have there been recently? Twilight Singers and Over The Rhine were almost the same, and then this one too. And I'm sure I just recently saw another one too.

It's highly recommended and I can't seem to take it out of my player. His voice is a little odd at first, but you get used to it. The songs are pretty strong, both in structure and insturmentation, and the lyrics are outstanding, like the ones in Dilaudid that I pasted above. This Year is probably my favorite, although there are many on the disc that could take that # 1 spot. Perhaps Mike can give you his 2 cents on it???

As for the tree covers, that a good observation, and I happen to have all 3 of those discs and they're all keepers. I guess if I spot any more tree covers I should snap them up immediately, eh Davey?

Swish

-Jar-
07-20-2005, 06:24 AM
anyone ever put Mountain Goats on a comp they've sent out? Now I'm curious to hear them.

-jar

<----------- Excellent "tree cover" album ;)

Mr MidFi
07-20-2005, 06:38 AM
This year has produced some very high quality albums, and in fact three have been the best yet from relatively recent favorites (Andrew Bird, The Decemberists, and Stephen Malkmus), but the quantity for my interest level has been quite low so I devised a simple scheme and stuck with it (yes, I listened to all those albums in alphabetical order). I was more than a little surprised that I listened to more albums than what I listed in a week, and some more than once at that. The styles were varied enough to keep things interesting on any given day and a few of these I haven't listened to since literally the last millenium. ;) I gotta say my little experiment was a smashing sucess and I'll definitely have to try it again before too long.

I've been going alphabetical by song title on my iPod at work for about 2 weeks now. That really tends to shake things up!

NP: Pink Floyd, "Dogs" (right after The Ramones' cover of "Do You Wanna Dance?")

Mike
07-20-2005, 07:33 AM
It's highly recommended and I can't seem to take it out of my player. His voice is a little odd at first, but you get used to it. The songs are pretty strong, both in structure and insturmentation, and the lyrics are outstanding, like the ones in Dilaudid that I pasted above. This Year is probably my favorite, although there are many on the disc that could take that # 1 spot. Perhaps Mike can give you his 2 cents on it???
Swish

I like it, his voice is unusual but infectious, quirky almost. The songs (and that's just what they are) are really strong in a sub pop acoustic kind of way, upbeat and not at all what I expected and lyrically excellent. It jolts you a bit with some of the lyrical content matched with such uplifting material.

I got my copy courtesy of a friend and I'd be glad to send you a copy Davey if you want to sample some, I seem to remember you were interested in the Richmond Fontaine too, pm with your address if you're interested. You too Jar I'd be happy to send you a couple of things.

Cheers
Mike

Swish
07-20-2005, 07:49 AM
I like it, his voice is unusual but infectious, quirky almost. The songs (and that's just what they are) are really strong in a sub pop acoustic kind of way, upbeat and not at all what I expected and lyrically excellent. It jolts you a bit with some of the lyrical content matched with such uplifting material.

I got my copy courtesy of a friend and I'd be glad to send you a copy Davey if you want to sample some, I seem to remember you were interested in the Richmond Fontaine too, pm with your address if you're interested. You too Jar I'd be happy to send you a couple of things.

Cheers
Mike

They did the same sort of thing where the music defies the lyrics; whisting a happy tune while talking about killing a woman, stuffing her in a vacuum bag and sticking her in the wall. Great stuff, but the music just doesn't fit the lyrics.

As for The Sunset Tree, the first 4 songs are so strong that I would rate it among my favorites of 2005 without ever hearing the rest, although I don't think there's any filler in the remaining 9 tracks. He's starting to get a lot of publicity for his record about the abuse he suffered at the hands of his step-father; National Public Radio (or whatever they call themselves these days) is doing an live interview with him this Saturday I believe.

Swish

Monkey Bones
07-21-2005, 06:41 AM
... I'd be glad to send you a copy Davey if you want to sample some, I seem to remember you were interested in the Richmond Fontaine too, pm with your address if you're interested.
Wow, thanks Mike! I'd love to give that Richmond Fontaine a try. For some reason they haven't released it over here. Kind of sad that there's hardly any market in the United States of America for home-grown Americana music anymore. Seems like the UK and Germany and other parts of Europe are keeping the lights on, though. I'll PM you soon.

Stone
07-21-2005, 06:54 AM
Yeah, he doesn't like to blow his own horn too much (did I really just say blow his own horn?), but our good buddy Stone put together a very nice 2004 year ender with a Mountain Goats song. Some John Vanderslice and Black Heart Procession and Architecture In Helsinki and Bobby Conn and Neko Case in the mix too, and a bunch of other really cool stuff that I can't remember right now but that I know sounded fun last time I listened, which was just a couple weeks ago or so. If I never said anything before, nice job Stone!

Thanks, Mr. Bones. Speaking of Architecture In Helsinki, I really need to pick up their latest. Thanks for the (unintentional) reminder about that.

Jar, if you (or anyone else) didn't get a 2004 comp from me and you want one, just lemme know. I used to keep track of who I sent what, but stopped doing that a couple years ago, so I have no idea which comps have been sent to whom any more.

Monkey Bones
07-21-2005, 07:06 AM
anyone ever put Mountain Goats on a comp they've sent out? Now I'm curious to hear them.
Yeah, he doesn't like to blow his own horn too much (did I really just say blow his own horn?), but our good buddy Stone put together a very nice 2004 year ender with a Mountain Goats song. Some John Vanderslice and Black Heart Procession and Architecture In Helsinki and Bobby Conn and Neko Case in the mix too, and a bunch of other really cool stuff that I can't remember right now but that I know sounded fun last time I listened, which was just a couple weeks ago or so. If I never said anything before, nice job Stone!