Headphone Recommendations How Does Sennheiser HD 600 Compare [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Headphone Recommendations How Does Sennheiser HD 600 Compare

EdwardGein
07-18-2005, 09:57 PM
As I'm getting quit paranoid about the manager complaining about the sound in the new apartment I moved into, it looks like I'm going to be relying more on headphones then ever to listen to DVD's, TV & CD's through my Denon 3801 system. I current have a Sennheiser HD-555 but based on the reviews I am currently planning to get the Sennheiser HD-600 which retails for $550 or so but I can get used/refurbished for $200 on Amazon.com. I originally was going to go for the Sennheiser HD-650 but one of the reviews I read said the 600 was much better.

Anyone have any recommendations? Any other brands & models to consider. Price right now is not a factor, quality is my factor. Any help appreciated. Thank You,

eisforelectronic
07-18-2005, 11:44 PM
I don't think I would buy used headphones, no matter what the discount.

EdwardGein
07-19-2005, 01:45 AM
I don't think I would buy used headphones, no matter what the discount.

O generally don't buy used stuff unless the savings is temendous like paying $300 for a $1200 receiver or $200 or so for a $550 headphone. The benefits for me far outweight the risks.

Geoffcin
07-19-2005, 03:11 PM
As I'm getting quit paranoid about the manager complaining about the sound in the new apartment I moved into, it looks like I'm going to be relying more on headphones then ever to listen to DVD's, TV & CD's through my Denon 3801 system. I current have a Sennheiser HD-555 but based on the reviews I am currently planning to get the Sennheiser HD-600 which retails for $550 or so but I can get used/refurbished for $200 on Amazon.com. I originally was going to go for the Sennheiser HD-650 but one of the reviews I read said the 600 was much better.

Anyone have any recommendations? Any other brands & models to consider. Price right now is not a factor, quality is my factor. Any help appreciated. Thank You,

When all the 650 really is is a 600 that uses hand matched and tested drivers.

I hope you have a headphone amp too, as the 600, or 650 is a 300 ohm headphone, and will not reach decent SPL without a headphone amp.

If you like the HD-555, then the real step-up is the HD-595. It's also a 50 ohm headphone, and uses better drivers than the HD-555.

durry
07-19-2005, 08:23 PM
The hd650 has more bass and is a bit darker sounding headphone. To me for what you can pick up the hd600's for now $200 is a steal of a deal. They are very detailed and will work pretty well off of the headphone out on your denon. However one of the last posters is correct they really shine with a headphone amp. The HD595 while is a step up from the hd-555 is not the HD600. If you want to go cheaper and achieve similar sound quialty as the HD600 then go with the hd580's as they use the same drivers as the hd600's do, just tweaked differently. I love my Hd650's however I have a wonderful headphone amp that is an amazing match to them. I have heard them off of a Denon 3801 and they did sound pretty good. Which source are you using? SACD? Redbook?
Regards,
joe

Mr Peabody
07-21-2005, 07:46 PM
$550.00 seems high for the HD-600's unless your not talking about U.S. currency. Check out www.amusicdirect.com they carry Sennheiser as well as several brands of headphones. They offer a 30 day trial and return policy. You can also get very good buys on the returned stuff, look and "demos & close outs".

I love my HD-600's. They are very detailed and have a wide frequency response. I have not heard the 650's which is the newer model but I have my doubts they would not be better.

You say you will be listening to DVD's as well, you might want to try a pair of the surround sound headphones. I know I've seen them but I can't remember who all makes them. AKG has a pair but I think they are expensive. Heck, you say price is no object, MD also carries Stax.

N. Abstentia
07-21-2005, 08:02 PM
So soundproofing the subwoofer is not working, eh? That's a hard thing to do. Is the guy below you an ass?

Why not keep the headphones you have and spend that extra money on a headphone amp? Hooking up a new pair of $500 headphones to that receiver might get you a small improvement over what you have, but I think a headphone amp with your existing phones would be much better.

durry
07-22-2005, 08:35 PM
I agree. Like I have said on other posts. With headphones like the higher end senn's(not to mention higher ohm) you really need an amp for them to shine!
regards,
joe

astrallionheart
07-26-2005, 01:44 AM
Sennheiser HD600s for $280
http://www.digitallyunique.com/hd600.html

Sennheiser HD650s for $350
http://shopping.microuse.com/products/detail/c/B00018MSNI

This was a quick google too, I'm sure better deals can be had with some quick googling.

Geoffcin
07-26-2005, 02:24 AM
Sennheiser HD600s for $280
http://www.digitallyunique.com/hd600.html

Sennheiser HD650s for $350
http://shopping.microuse.com/products/detail/c/B00018MSNI

This was a quick google too, I'm sure better deals can be had with some quick googling.

I get to it through Techbargains.com. Niether site is a retail store.

http://techbargains.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?sort_type=bottomline&masterid=3299784&isbn=&pid=

Always use "bottom line pricing" as shipping and tax can really add up.