Any thoughts or recommendations on Nightwish or Rammstein? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts or recommendations on Nightwish or Rammstein?

caniac
07-18-2005, 06:10 PM
I like Nightwish. They have a prog/gothic blend working for them, and the female vocals are a nice change of pace. Also, the bass player provides some vocals and he has a very interesting voice. A solid band. They can go a little over the top sometimes, but they don't get TOO cheesy.

If you like Nightwish, you would probably also like Lacuna Coil. They have the same prog/goth thing and female vocals, but they have a little more mainstream sense of melody and their sound is more hard/prog rock than metal.

Mr Peabody
07-18-2005, 06:25 PM
I was out exploring for new music again and found these two bands. Nightwish sounds very cool and their album Once is on my next to buy list. I first heard of Rammstein when they were listed as favorite listening by the boys that killed those kids at school in Colorado. It was hard to get a feel for them from sound samples, I kind of liked the album Reise Reise. Is Rammstein versatile enough to be entertaining or are they just for moshing? Anyone else have any Nightwish and have thoughts?

caniac
07-18-2005, 06:45 PM
Hmmm.........wonder how that happened.

Dusty Chalk
07-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Nightwish -- yes, Once is a good place to start. Also, when seeking out the older albums, there are limited versions with bonus tracks, try to get those if you can. I like them all, but Demetrio (our resident prog expert) had a definite preference. Unfortunately, I don't remember them. If I can find my box set (contains first three albums plus that Over the Hills and Far Away thingy), I'll give a listen again.

Rammstein -- mostly all the same, but some differences. "Engel" is just plain a standout track, so to not hear that is a crime. Sehnsucht is therefore the way to go. (It also has the very clever "Du Hast" on it.)

If you're into video, they have a very cheap DVD out that has been on my wishlist forever: Lichtspielhaus:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00016MT6Q.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Great fun live if you're a pyromaniac.

Duds
07-19-2005, 04:26 AM
is a great band. I like them a lot more than Nightwish. I dont know what it is with Nightwish, I think its the fact they try to be to opra-like.

The lead singer for LAcuna Coiol, Christina Scabbia, is absolutely beautiful too.

Rammstein is quite different from Nightwish though, much heavier, german vocals. I like em though, they have some damn good riffs.

I like Nightwish. They have a prog/gothic blend working for them, and the female vocals are a nice change of pace. Also, the bass player provides some vocals and he has a very interesting voice. A solid band. They can go a little over the top sometimes, but they don't get TOO cheesy.

If you like Nightwish, you would probably also like Lacuna Coil. They have the same prog/goth thing and female vocals, but they have a little more mainstream sense of melody and their sound is more hard/prog rock than metal.

Dusty Chalk
07-19-2005, 08:36 PM
The lead singer for LAcuna Coiol, Christina Scabbia, is absolutely beautiful too.A little too skinny for my tastes, but still a hotty (I prefer Anneke from The Gathering more). I like the fact that she's a rocker in a metal band. It's not like "the token femme" -- she really is one of them, and is as into the music as any of them.

Duds
07-20-2005, 04:00 AM
Here's some cool news. Oh, and yes, Anneke is a hottie as well!! You ever hear of the band Drain STH?? 4 chicks from Sweden, two or three were smoking hot, and the 4th wasnt bad from what i remember.

THE GATHERING and Century Media are opening their archives to present a luxurious double CD set full of rare and unreleased material. "Accessories - Rarities And B-Sides" will be released in Europe on August 22, 2005. CD1 offers "the b-sides" from all of their out-of-print CD-singles, including rarities like "Adrenaline" and "Theme From The Cyclist", as well as cover versions from TALK TALK, DEAD CAN DANCE and SLOWDIVE. CD 2 is full of unreleased demo recordings.

CD One - The B-Sides:

01. In Motion #1 (live)
Taken from "Strange Machines" CD-Single
2. Leaves (live)
Taken from "Strange Machines" CD-Single
03. Adrenaline
Taken from "Adrenaline/Leaves" CD-Single
04. Third Chance
05. Strange Machines (live w/Orchestra)
Taken from "The May Song" CD-Single
06. In Power We Trust The Love Advocated (DEAD CAN DANCE cover version)
Taken from "Kevin's Telescope" CD-Single
07. When The Sun Hits (SLOWDIVE cover version)
08. Confusion (demo/ Eroc session)
09. Shrink
Taken from "Liberty Bell" CD-Single
10. Frail (live)
Taken from "Liberty Bell" CD-Single
11. Theme From "The Cyclist"
Taken from "Rollercoaster" CD-Single
12. Leaves (live w/Orchestra)
Taken from "Rollercoaster" CD-Single
13. Life Is What You Make It (Talk Talk cover version)
Taken from "Amity" CD-Single
14. Amity (live at Isabelle)
Taken from "Amity" CD-Single

CD Two - The Rarities:

01. New Moon, Different Day *
02. Kevin's Telescope (instrumental) *
03. Shrink *
04. The Earth Is My Witness *
05. Diamond Box (previously unreleased instrumental) *
06. Nighttime Birds *
07. On Most Surfaces *
08. Hjelmar's (previously unreleased instrumental) *
09. My Electricity **
10. Probably Built In The Fifties **
11. Illuminating **
12. Red Is A Slow Colour **
13. Travel **

* Demo session for "Nighttime Birds", recorded at Woodhouse Studios, Germany. Mixed by Eroc November 1996.
** Demo session for "How To Measure A Planet?", recorded at Texel, the Netherlands, February 1998.

A little too skinny for my tastes, but still a hotty (I prefer Anneke from The Gathering more). I like the fact that she's a rocker in a metal band. It's not like "the token femme" -- she really is one of them, and is as into the music as any of them.

Duds
07-20-2005, 05:13 AM
man, she is awesome

Ya think?

fp

Finch Platte
07-20-2005, 05:25 AM
...Christina Scabbia, is absolutely beautiful too...

Ya think?

fp

Dusty Chalk
07-20-2005, 08:02 AM
First of all, thanks for posting that about the Gathering -- I anticipate that delicious release.
You ever hear of the band Drain STH?? 4 chicks from Sweden, two or three were smoking hot, and the 4th wasnt bad from what i remember.Yeah, saw them live once (whatever happened to them?) -- I think they were opening for Filter or some such. It was really sad, no-one moshed or anything because they were hypnotized by the four onstage -- "ooh, chicks" -- and they were getting annoyed by it. I spent the entire time right in front of the bassist, in rapture.

Duds
07-20-2005, 08:17 AM
I'm looking forward to the Gathering release as well.

I think Drain STH broke up. I saw them on the very first Ozzfest. They were cool as hell too, hung out after their set on the second stage (obvioulsy), talked to them for a little while. Beautiful women.

Wow, Filter.....I may need to break out Short Bus and give that a spin.

First of all, thanks for posting that about the Gathering -- I anticipate that delicious release.Yeah, saw them live once (whatever happened to them?) -- I think they were opening for Filter or some such. It was really sad, no-one moshed or anything because they were hypnotized by the four onstage -- "ooh, chicks" -- and they were getting annoyed by it. I spent the entire time right in front of the bassist, in rapture.

Dusty Chalk
07-21-2005, 07:57 PM
I ordered Nightwish "Once" and I checked out Lacuna Coil but the samples didn't hit me right at the time. I didn't dislike them, I just didn't hear anything I had to buy right now. On the other hand, I listened to The Gathering and ended up buying "How To Measure A Planet?". Any stand out album for The Gathering? How to Measure a Planet? -- easily my favourite album by them. Although I really like their latest two, Black Light District and Souvenirs.

For some reason, I knew you were going to ask this in ten minutes, and responded ahead of time.

Mr Peabody
07-21-2005, 08:10 PM
I ordered Nightwish "Once" and I checked out Lacuna Coil but the samples didn't hit me right at the time. I didn't dislike them, I just didn't hear anything I had to buy right now. On the other hand, I listened to The Gathering and ended up buying "How To Measure A Planet?". Any stand out album for The Gathering?

I don't thing the vocals on Nightwish will be a problem for me, I like the band Renasance. I never remember how to spell that word.

Some one else mentioned to me the song Du Has by Ramstein, I'll have to check out the suggested album.

Anyone else get ProgRock's emails? The new band Ajalon they signed is pretty good. It's different from what we are talking about hear but from the audio samples it sounds promising.

Duds
07-22-2005, 04:05 AM
How is this album? From reviews on the band, it seems as though this is the one that most prefer. I'll be purchasing it soon, since Sleepy Buildings is the onyl one I have at the moment.

How to Measure a Planet? -- easily my favourite album by them. Although I really like their latest two, Black Light District and Souvenirs.

For some reason, I knew you were going to ask this in ten minutes, and responded ahead of time.

Dusty Chalk
07-22-2005, 08:27 AM
How is this album? From reviews on the band, it seems as though this is the one that most prefer. I'll be purchasing it soon, since Sleepy Buildings is the onyl one I have at the moment.Well, I like all of their albums, but they all have a different character:

Always... and Almost a Dance -- pre-Anneke (I.E. male vocals); good if you like the genre, but do not particularly stand out.
Mandylion -- hardest of the post pre-Anneke albums. Seminal.
Nighttime Birds -- probably second hardest of the post pre-Anneke albums. Recommended if you like Mandylion.
How to Measure a Planet? -- poppiest of their albums. Also begins to show their psychedelic side. My personal favourite.
if_then_else -- a "return to form" as it were, probably their third hardest of the post pre-Anneke albums. This one is easily the most under-rated of all of them. Even the band claims to not like this album, pressured into trying to go back to metal by the record label, but...it's still the Gathering, damit! It's good stuff.
Black Light District -- departing their label (because they [label] didn't know how to market them [Gathering]), this is an experiment into post-rock that for the most part succeeds. The very long title track alone is worth the price of entry.
Souvenirs -- alterna hard pop. At this point, there's no turning back -- they haven't entirely abandoned their metal roots (they still have their hard moments), but they've embraced "pop" and "alternative" sentiments.

Duds
07-22-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the reply!!

Well, I like all of their albums, but they all have a different character:

Always... and Almost a Dance -- pre-Anneke (I.E. male vocals); good if you like the genre, but do not particularly stand out.
Mandylion -- hardest of the post pre-Anneke albums. Seminal.
Nighttime Birds -- probably second hardest of the post pre-Anneke albums. Recommended if you like Mandylion.
How to Measure a Planet? -- poppiest of their albums. Also begins to show their psychedelic side. My personal favourite.
if_then_else -- a "return to form" as it were, probably their third hardest of the post pre-Anneke albums. This one is easily the most under-rated of all of them. Even the band claims to not like this album, pressured into trying to go back to metal by the record label, but...it's still the Gathering, damit! It's good stuff.
Black Light District -- departing their label (because they [label] didn't know how to market them [Gathering]), this is an experiment into post-rock that for the most part succeeds. The very long title track alone is worth the price of entry.
Souvenirs -- alterna hard pop. At this point, there's no turning back -- they haven't entirely abandoned their metal roots (they still have their hard moments), but they've embraced "pop" and "alternative" sentiments.

progfan
07-23-2005, 04:00 AM
Nightwish. I loved Once. It was my personal 2nd favorite of '04 behind Marillion's Marbles. Their earlier recordings are really good too, but for my taste, they really beef up the arrangements nicely with orchestra, Native American sounds and more.

Lacuna Coil. I have most of their material but somehow it just doesn't grab me. It seems that every song sounds the same. I enjoy their music, but I don't find myself going back to it often.

The Gathering. "Mandylion" and "Nighttime Birds" are ESSENTIAL. They may seem underwhelming at first, but they really grow on you over time. Or at least they did for me. "How to Measure a Planet" was a more "prog" oriented album and I really like that one as well. Their live album (Superheat) is really good too. I have a DVD by The Gathering, but the audio quality isn't so great, even if Anneke looks nice. But the band completely lost me after that. If_Then_Else was way too alterna-pop for me. Some of the songs sound more like Alannis Morrisette than The Gathering. Where's the metal?? Where's the prog??I never bothered with anything they did after that. I heard a few songs from Black Light District and Souvenirs, which told me all I needed to know! ;)

Mr Peabody
07-25-2005, 06:18 PM
I received my CD's today. So far i've listened to Nightwish "Once" and it blew me away, it is awesome. I haven't been this excited about an album in a long time. Just listening really got my emotions going. I checked out their website, it seems they have done very well in Finland, Brazil and parts of Europe. I can't understand why it is so hard to get into the U.S. market. Well.... maybe I can with the crappy corporate ran airwaves and the BS they try to force feed them who will swallow.

I plan to check out more of their albums in the future and highly recommend Nightwish.

caniac
07-25-2005, 06:48 PM
A lot of really good hard rock/metal bands coming out of Europe these days, especially Sweden and the Scandinavian countries.

Duds
07-26-2005, 04:07 AM
In Flames, Lacuna Coil, Soilwork, Dark Tranquility, Moonspell, are just a few names of some good ones

A lot of really good hard rock/metal bands coming out of Europe these days, especially Sweden and the Scandinavian countries.