Need help picking an integrated amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking an integrated amp

sstcobra
07-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Just moved to a new house (8' ceiling and 12' by 24' ) and I wish to play CD's on my Axiom Ti22's with Yamaha 100 w subwoofer. I would like an integrated amp under $1000. Used is ok. I have no desire to hook this up to a home theater system. Don't need a reciever either. And keeping is simple is ok too!

One day I will also upgrade the speakers. Tube or integrated - doesn't matter. Thinking of the Denon PMA 2000 R, Rotel RA1062, Prima Luna Prologue Two or Jolinda 302b.

So what's your thoughts? And why? What's the best bang for the buck??

RGA
07-18-2005, 11:07 PM
I've only heard the Jolida it is very nice -- I'd also add the ASL AQ1003DT -- it is a diifferent kind of sound from the Jolida.

It really depends on how it sounds with your speakers. Both the 302B and the AQ 1003DT are very good. I think the Jolida has more of a classic and stereotypical tube amp sound while the ASL is a little leaner sounding -- but it also sounded like it was a bit quicker on transients.

The ASL advantage is remote control - a bias meter built onto the chassis and a subwoofer output. You can also talk to the company owner Joseph lau on Audioasylum and sometimes on head-fi.org. http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1204/aslaq1003dt.htm

oldskoolboarder
07-19-2005, 01:25 PM
I'd go w/ a tube system if you're willing. I run my M22's and VTF sub w/ a Pioneer 45TX, Denon 2200 and Pioneer PL117D TT. Sounds great. But when I added a Sophia Baby as a tube amp, the vinyl sound got even better. It even improved my MP3's via iTunes, played on a Mac Mini connected to the Pio 45TX via USB.

ASL, Jolida and Prima Luna are good options, there are many decent sub $1K options out there, integrated, mono whatever.

nightflier
07-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Might we also add the NAD C372 to the list? I've been eyeing this model for a while now and it looks to be pretty capable. If you don't need the extra watts, the C352 and C320BEE are also good options for a lot less $$$.

matt39
07-20-2005, 03:31 PM
While I don't have a lot of experience with integrateds I have been doing a lot of research on them since I may get one in my next system. I'd suggest you take a look at the Cambridge Audio Azur 640A and the Audio Refinement Complete. Music Hall has also come out with a new one which looks very good too. I am, however, intrigued by RGA's suggestion of the ASL AQ1003DT. It has a lot of features and the self bias feature for the tubes makes it look especially good to a tube newbie like me. FYI Audio Advisor has a demo unit right now which would make checking this out more affordable. Hope this helps a little (nothing like more choices to clear things up lol!) and good luck.

Gary

soundman007
08-01-2005, 05:47 AM
If you are going for the best sound for the least amount of money and want to keep it simple try the Cambridge Audio Azur 640A. You might also consider the NAD BBE integrated. Try to audition with your OWN loudspeakers to make a final decision.

JohnMichael
08-01-2005, 06:33 AM
I would also reccomend the Cambridge Audio 640A. I have owned the int. amp for 3 months now and continue to be impressed. It also has preamp outputs so you can easily hook up a subwoofer.

RGA
08-01-2005, 01:18 PM
While I don't have a lot of experience with integrateds I have been doing a lot of research on them since I may get one in my next system. I'd suggest you take a look at the Cambridge Audio Azur 640A and the Audio Refinement Complete. Music Hall has also come out with a new one which looks very good too. I am, however, intrigued by RGA's suggestion of the ASL AQ1003DT. It has a lot of features and the self bias feature for the tubes makes it look especially good to a tube newbie like me. FYI Audio Advisor has a demo unit right now which would make checking this out more affordable. Hope this helps a little (nothing like more choices to clear things up lol!) and good luck.

Gary

Just to be clear it is not a self-biasing unit - it just makes biasing easier. I have never owned a PP tube amp so i have not done it. It apparently takes under 5 minutes -- you should go to audioasylum.com and the tube forum and they can tell you how to do it. It is not hard and should only need to be done when you buy new tubes.

I think the major step-up over the other amplifiers mentioned is the class A operation. For whatever reason it simply sounds better than Amplifiers from NAD or Cambridege Audio or Arcam which are fine SS amps for the money (though not the 320Bee which I found to be a disaster).

The Audio Refinement Complete is fantastic -- it is basically a YBA Integre clone using YBA parts but built in the Far East. Still I'd probably buy the ASL or another tube amp.

My Tube amp self biases or needs none due to its Single Ended operation.

nightflier
08-09-2005, 02:13 PM
...though not the 320Bee which I found to be a disaster....

RGA,

I just received one of these and have been playing around with it (just basic listening and hooking up to different equipment- no concerted A/B testing). It seems to drive inefficient speakers quite well, and despite the meager wattage is still quite capable. I've also set it up as a preamp to my B&K amp, and it performs OK. I know it's not a Krell, but for $250 it's not what I was asking for in an integrated. What didn't you like about it?

nightflier
08-20-2005, 04:58 PM
I've been able to spend some time doing more blind testing of this amp and it seems to be quite good. I compared it to my Onkyo 8511 and HK 3480 receivers, as well as a Hitachi HCA8500 pre / B&K amp combo and also an Arcam Delta / HCA2 combo. It very handily outperformed the receivers with more powerfull bass (even with just 50W) and held its own against the pre / amp combos. I agree that it is not very dimensional and at high volumes the differences become more obvious, but it sounds quite good otherwise. I was also impressed with its phono section. It didn't match the quality of the Hitachi pre with all the extra adjustments it has, but for a basic use phono amp, it does quite well. It sounded very similar to the NAD PP2 phono preamp, which I guess goes w/o saying.

As far as features, it does have some quirks that I thought were anoying. You can't mute w/o the remote (and even with muting on, there is still sound coming through the speakers), the bass and trebble controls are not very effective, volume control is sluggish and the remote is a universal NAD remote with a bunch of buttons that are useless w/o other NAD components. Then again, it does have some added extras: 12v trigger, extra switched socket, preamp outs, the familiar NAD soft clipping switch, and that phono input.

All-in-all it is a very nice sounding integrated with ample power to drive all kinds of speakers. For $400 new / $300 used, there isn't much else in that price range that can do as much.

So RGA, was the disaster reference because of the features or because of the sound?

RGA
08-20-2005, 06:53 PM
The soundstage is off -- it has dual almost out of phase presentation unable to create a realistic center image -- It was more obvious to me because we compared it directly against the Rotel RA-01 with the same recording one I know well. It also has a dead sound. The speakers were highly resolving AN E/L speakers. For the money and build quality -- I'd buy a receiver instead -- and considering i don't like recievers it says much.

milaz001
08-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Perhaps you listened to a bad unit, because I'm familiar with the 320bee and have never found its imaging to be an issue.