? about my Denon AVR 3200 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ? about my Denon AVR 3200

marrman
07-18-2005, 01:42 PM
I bought this used several years ago and I am just now getting to set it up. I have B&W
601s. When setting up the Denon should I put setting on large or small speakers?
Also, what volume level would be considered half way. I mean I run the volume up to -05 or so. Will it go into positve numbers? Where do you (if you have Denon) run your levels?
One more question, this pertains to wiring the speaker up. If I am bi-wiring the 601s, does it matter which one I post the "A" wire to ( hi or low on speaker)? Thanks to who reply.
Ah! I thought of one more question. I think this is an older reciever, so what would be the present day equivalent?

topspeed
07-18-2005, 04:33 PM
When setting up the Denon should I put setting on large or small speakers?If you have a sub, set them to small. If you don't, you can run them full range/large, but in reality I don't know that it would make a huge difference as the 601's are somewhat limited by design.
Also, what volume level would be considered half way. I mean I run the volume up to -05 or so. Will it go into positve numbers? Where do you (if you have Denon) run your levels?Half way to what? Hearing loss? Don't worry about the volume number as it is completely arbitrary and will vary from user to user. Just put the volume at a level that is pleasing to you yet short of noticeable strain or clipping.
One more question, this pertains to wiring the speaker up. If I am bi-wiring the 601s, does it matter which one I post the "A" wire to ( hi or low on speaker)? Thanks to who reply.No, as long as the jumpers are in place (jumpers are the little gold bands that connect the binding posts). I hope you're not thinking of bi-wiring your speakers off the same receiver, are you? Considering that all channels are driven off the same power supply, such an application would seem like a waste of good speaker wire to me.
Ah! I thought of one more question. I think this is an older reciever, so what would be the present day equivalent?Either a 2805 or 2105.

Hope this helps.

nick4433
07-21-2005, 04:19 PM
I bought this used several years ago and I am just now getting to set it up.

Dude, where had you been? I mean no disrespect to the 3200 but time has passed that receiver by and you need to retire that bad boy. You need to get your hands on the AVR 3805 and experience DTS and every other newer format out there.

mixadude
07-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Dude, where had you been? I mean no disrespect to the 3200 ....OK then... :rolleyes:

kfalls
07-22-2005, 06:38 AM
I hope you're not thinking of bi-wiring your speakers off the same receiver, are you? Considering that all channels are driven off the same power supply, such an application would seem like a waste of good speaker wire to me. Either a 2805 or 2105.

I don't understand your concern, bi-wiring is always from the same receiver or amp. Bi-amp uses two different amp/receiver channels. Also bi-wiring isn't done with the jumpers on. You remove the jumpers to minimize interaction between the low and high-pass filters in the xover. I tried it, but didn't see a lot of benefit. I do have my mains bi-amped. I have Legacy Focus with the mid/high driven by a Denon AVR-3300 and its three woofer/ch driven by a Yamaha M-65 power amp. This setup gives me more control over the bass and frees up power from the receiver to drive the mids and highs.

The 3200 was a very good receiver---in its day. You're right he does need to update. Amplifier technology has advanced as well as features and formats.

N. Abstentia
07-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Poor guy..he's just now hooking up his new recevier and it's been obsolete for over 4 years now...