1080p and DLP [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 1080p and DLP

pdawg17
07-16-2005, 08:20 PM
I talked to someone at Magnolia HiFi today and he said DLP cannot produce a "true" 1080p image because the image is "projected" rather than a "direct view" image that LCD and plasma produce...is there any truth to this? I was set on a DLP set but he made it sound like LCD and plasma will do a better job with high res images...

sam9
07-17-2005, 08:33 AM
BS. Existing DLP may or may not be able to do that but it's not inherent in the technology. It may be true of the models they stock but I'm pretty sure there others that can. Suggest you do some web surfing on DLP vs Plasma vs LCD before talking to sales persons. This is a good rule to follow for anything, as a matter of fact.

I've gotten so odd comments from people at Magnolia, myself. I assume they are on commission and push one thing or another at any given time. I'd bet they had a plasma or lcd product that had much better profit margin when you were there. Don't be to harsh, thoug -- the poor fellow's gotta make livung you know.

PS: audio visual knowledge is not the top job qualification at these places even if Magnolia looks a cut or two above Circuit City

edtyct
07-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Samsung will have a 1080p rear projection DLP on the market by Nov. It's all just a matter of squeezing all of those little mirrors on one, or three, chips.

godfatherofsoul
07-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Samsung will have a 1080p rear projection DLP on the market by Nov. It's all just a matter of squeezing all of those little mirrors on one, or three, chips.

Mitsubishi will as well later this year. I have seen the Samsung at one of my locals and it looked good!

Cheers