Urgent Help needed - Sherwood R-925RDS [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help needed - Sherwood R-925RDS

Merlin1972
07-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Hi all,
Desperately need someone's help. My Sherwood R-925RDS has suddenly decided to stop producing sound. Nothing from the speakers, except the subwoofer, and nothing from the headphone jack. It was working this evening, it was turned off over dinner and then after dinner - no sound. However video signals are still coming through ok.

Please please please does anyone have any ideas? I've checked that tape monitor is not on, the speakers are connected and no its not on mute.

Look forward to hearing from someone soon.

Geoffcin
07-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Hi all,
Desperately need someone's help. My Sherwood R-925RDS has suddenly decided to stop producing sound. Nothing from the speakers, except the subwoofer, and nothing from the headphone jack. It was working this evening, it was turned off over dinner and then after dinner - no sound. However video signals are still coming through ok.

Please please please does anyone have any ideas? I've checked that tape monitor is not on, the speakers are connected and no its not on mute.

Look forward to hearing from someone soon.

Check to see that the A/D decoder is set to the correct Analog/Digital input setting. My reciever automatically detects the A/D signal, but you can override it, and I have done it accidentially. If you do not have it set to the right A/D setting you will hear no sound.

Merlin1972
07-17-2005, 12:21 AM
Thanks Geoff, I'll take a look. Although I don't recall seeing any settings of that kind. Plus I don't have the manual!

Addendum: Tried switching through analogue, optical, co-axial and back to analogue but it didn't make any difference. Is it possible that the amp itself has blown a fuse or something but the video signal remains because it just passes straight through?

Geoffcin
07-17-2005, 02:25 AM
Thanks Geoff, I'll take a look. Although I don't recall seeing any settings of that kind. Plus I don't have the manual!

Addendum: Tried switching through analogue, optical, co-axial and back to analogue but it didn't make any difference. Is it possible that the amp itself has blown a fuse or something but the video signal remains because it just passes straight through?

But switching the inputs is not the same as changing the A/D settings. With my receiver I can hook an input via Analog (RCA), or digital (optical input, or digital RCA) an depending on how I set that A/D setting for that input, it will either decode the digital signal, or pass through the analog one to the pre-amp.

The first thing you want to do is check to see that your source is outputting a correct signal. If you can prove that your source is working, then I would check it against all of the inputs available on your receiver. Also; CD players usually output both digital, and analog. If you hook both inputs up, and if there's a good signal something should be heard.

If this fails all is still not lost. Your should try to get a copy of the manual from the manufacturer. Pioneer, my receivers manufacture, has these online and downloadable as a PDF file so they can be printed out.

Merlin1972
07-17-2005, 02:41 AM
Thanks again Geoff. Will let you know how it goes.

Merlin1972
07-17-2005, 11:48 PM
Hi,
Had another go yesterday with my MP3 player, which I know is working and nothing. However I also tried the test tone for setting surround sound levels. I thought that if the problem is input related then this should still work but there was no sound from this either.