Wireless Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Speakers

bcorn
07-16-2005, 01:17 PM
I am interested in finding some wireless audio speakers primarily for home stereo usage as opposed to home theatre usage. Any recommendations in this arena? Thanks!

markw
07-16-2005, 02:49 PM
If so, hang it up.

Remo1075
09-23-2005, 09:21 AM
I am interested in finding some wireless audio speakers primarily for home stereo usage as opposed to home theatre usage. Any recommendations in this arena? Thanks!

:D
I could'nt decide if you were joking or serious anyway here's an answer why you should'nt buy such a system. Wireless speakers generally fall into two categories: infrared and radio frequency. Infrared, like a television remote control, beams a signal to the speakers. The disadvantage of this setup are occasional dropouts of sound. Since infrared requires a direct line of site, and any objects in the way can prevent the wireless speakers from receiving. Other wireless speakers use radio frequency waves to transmit the signal. And while the signal can pass through objects, some static can interfere with the sound just like when listening to the radio or when using a cordless telephone. RFI is never good for speakers and wireless speakers can never match a traditional wired system. Next youll be asking how to transmit a digital signal to your speakers :D he he.

Good luck making your choice..

nightflier
09-23-2005, 01:31 PM
...some static can interfere with the sound just like when listening to the radio or when using a cordless telephone...

Some static, is an understatement. I have a pair of wireless RF speakers in the kitchen, and they sound awful. The static is very noticeable, and the sound quality is pathetic. But if you're going to use these in a kid's room (with lots of yelling and screaming anyhow), or in the garage where power tools and car noise will drown out the static, that might be OK.

However, I've read that the IR speakers are much better. If you hang the speakers on the wall, and install the transmitter higher up, there won't be much interference and your signal would get through to the speakers much better. IR also has distance and angle limitations you should consider as well, but I've read that they work better and are less prone to interference if there is a clear path for the signal.

Nether solution, however, will work well for surround speakers, if that's your goal. Tried that too and was very dissapointed. For the $, you're better off running the cable through the walls yourself, and hiring a good drywaller to seamlessly fix the holes.