Fast Food Warning Labels [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fast Food Warning Labels

JohnMichael
07-16-2005, 12:37 PM
I was just thinking that with all the warnings on cigarettes and alcohol we should have warnings on the bags of fast food. It could show some stats about the predicted weight gain of eating this food 3 or more times a week. The label could show the increase in heart and colon disease caused by a high fat, low fiber diet. The label could list all the products used in the processing of the food items that we had no idea were in them. As we as a nation become more obese these labels could help. I just thought of this while eating a double cheeseburger and a medium fries but I washed it down with a diet coke.

mystic
07-18-2005, 10:24 AM
I was just thinking that with all the warnings on cigarettes and alcohol we should have warnings on the bags of fast food. It could show some stats about the predicted weight gain of eating this food 3 or more times a week. The label could show the increase in heart and colon disease caused by a high fat, low fiber diet. The label could list all the products used in the processing of the food items that we had no idea were in them. As we as a nation become more obese these labels could help. I just thought of this while eating a double cheeseburger and a medium fries but I washed it down with a diet coke.

I recall something about the sweetner in diet coke affecting the brains of rats. I'm not implying you are a rat, but if you drink lots of the stuff you might want to investigate the possibility of ill effects. I like the idea of warning labels on fast foods. Anything that contributes to better health would be good.

I don't go to fast food places much anymore because I am turned off by filth in restrooms and dining areas. If the employees aren't concerned about cleanliness, I don't want to eat food they prepare. Not all fast food places are dirty, but I think the proportion is greater than it used to be.

Duds
07-18-2005, 10:49 AM
What good do warning labels do? I mean, people who get lung cancer can still sue the tobacco companies and win, even though they have warning labels on the packs.

dean_martin
07-18-2005, 01:21 PM
What good do warning labels do? I mean, people who get lung cancer can still sue the tobacco companies and win, even though they have warning labels on the packs.

Most if not all of the smokers prevailing against tobacco cos. (tobacco is winning most of these) are the ones who became addicted before the mandatory warnings. They became addicted back in the day when tobacco cos. hired doctors to do ads or hired actors to play doctors in tv commercials while smoking.

There's a whole field of psychology in marketing dedicated to the effectiveness of warnings, advertisements, etc.

My only problem with the idea is the size of the wrapper or bag required to fit all that information on.

Many people criticized the lawsuit in NY against BK et al., but it brought about awareness, openned debate and even McDonald's added healthier foods to its menu. Although that lawsuit was thrown out (I keep tellin' everyone that the judicial system weeds out non-meritorious cases - that's one of its functions), I believe it sparked awareness in many. It's funny to see many of these franchises running to their legislators now looking for immunity from lawsuits. Watch for these laws in the future and ask yourself why they deserve special protection under the law when our Constitution says EQUAL protection. If you're not hurtin' anybody, why do you need immunity?