Half Gone 2005? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Half Gone 2005?

Davey
07-16-2005, 08:08 AM
The year is halfway into the past now - what would be some of your favorite releases so far? For the last few years I've done Half Gone comps that have always been fun to put together. No pressure to pick what I think are the best or my most favorite records or anything like that, just a chance to put together a cool comp from a limited list of albums. Structured. One of my personal favorite comps that I've done out of the 60 or so in the last few years is my Half Gone 2001 (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/comps.htm#Half_Gone_2001). All over the place, but still seemed to have a really nice flow and mood to it. Don't think I've been able to capture that feel again. I don't really have enough this year to try, but thought maybe we can do kind of a virtual comp. Maybe get some ideas on the best stuff I've been missing. So choose an album or two you've come across this year, preferably something that was released or reissued this year, and the songs you would pick for a comp to represent them.

Think I might have to start the comp rolling with the opener from Spoon's Gimme Fiction, "The Beast and Dragon, Adored". Might have to close it with the 9+ minute closer from Electrelane's Axes too, "Suitcase". Might have to fill in most of the other slots too based on the [lack of] responses I've been getting to my posts recently ;)

Next up?

tentoze
07-16-2005, 09:18 AM
I've listened to more new stuff so far this year than any other, and very little of it has really has really slapped me very hard. Having said that, I would throw in:

1) Something from Andrew Bird & The Mysterious Production Of Eggs, mebbe The Naming of Things. This a very, very good album.

2) Something from Okkervil River's Black Sheep Boy, mebbe In A Radio Song. Another very, very good album.

3) My latest favorite song- Patience from Micah P. Hinson & The Gospel Of Progress. This one will go way high on my year end favorites. It is outstanding (Thanx again JD).

There, now stop yr whining. ;)

Davey
07-16-2005, 10:24 AM
There, now stop yr whining. You're starting to sound like me! ;)
Thanks for the pity slap, that does sound kind of whiney, huh? I've yet to hear the new Okkervil, but that Andrew Bird is right up there for me too. Is it you that was badmouthing the new Sufjan Stevens? Album of the year if you believe the critics. Near universal acclaim. If it was you, what didn't work? Do you have the now collectable Superman cover? Wish I'd scored a copy before they had to change it. They're already going for good money.

nobody
07-16-2005, 11:46 AM
I haven't picked up too much this year, compared to past years, but I have a few that I am really liking...

<b>Raveonettes - Pretty in Black</b>
Big change from their past releases, so it could upset some fans. Much more open and spacious with many new influences. Lots of retro touches.

<b>The National - Aligator</b>
More retro 80s-ish post punky stuff. Better done than any others I've heard this year so far.

<b>White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan</b>
Another one to upset the fans...big changes here. They still pull out a couple rockers, but this is much more somber than past releases. Heavy on piano and other flourishes.

<b>Populous - Que for Love</b>
Mellow electronica from Morr Music label. Relaxing soundscapes.

<b>Masha Qrella - Unresolved Remained</b>
More from Morr Music. Sounds a bit like Notwist with a chick singing and a little less meloncholy. This and the Populous go well together.

I've also really liked the new <b>Telepopmisik</b>, the new <b>Hold Steady</b>, The <b>Engineers</b>, <b>MIA</b> and some others. Wow...no hop hop or R&B on there. Odd for me, usually have at least a couple that pop through to me each year, although I do really like the new <b>Lyrics Born</b>, but it is a remix album, so that's up to you if it counts.

Oh yeah...forgot about the new <b>Common</b>, <i>Be</i>. Produced mostly by Kanye West, so if you're not tired of his style, the whole thing's really, really good. Fans of either artist should dig this.

Slosh
07-16-2005, 12:14 PM
I like "No More Shoes" but it'll eat up a lot of time so I'd go with "Kindling For The Master" or "It Kills" instead. Bloc party's "Helicopter" needs to be on there too. And I'm good with tentoze's Andrew Bird and your Spoon selections. Plus nearly any track from the Decemberists' latest would work.

Davey
07-16-2005, 12:14 PM
<b>The National - Aligator</b>
More retro 80s-ish post punky stuff. Better done than any others I've heard this year so far.
Yeah, the National is way up there for me too. Never really associated them with post-punk except for a loose connection to Joy Division. Much more like Nick Cave and Leonard Cohen and all their followers, like a couple other favorites of mine in the Tindersticks and Flaming Stars. Even hit on some Springsteen angst too. But they do move out of that mold and dabble in Joy-drenched alt-country sometimes, so I can't really call you wrong ;)

Nice stuff, that's for sure.

tentoze
07-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the pity slap, that does sound kind of whiney, huh? I've yet to hear the new Okkervil, but that Andrew Bird is right up there for me too. Is it you that was badmouthing the new Sufjan Stevens? Album of the year if you believe the critics. Near universal acclaim. If it was you, what didn't work? Do you have the now collectable Superman cover? Wish I'd scored a copy before they had to change it. They're already going for good money.
Re: Sufyawn- At something like 77 minutes, it's at least a 1/2 hour too long, with a lot of totally worthless noodling and little snippets that irritated the ****e outta me. For about the first 30 minutes, it isn't too bad. Then it seriously loses wherever it started going at the beginning. And the sappy religious overtones (I really don't care if he goes to bible class or not) get tedious for me after about a minute or two. I never made it past about the one hour mark without ripping it outta the player. I left my copy of it (yes, the Superman cover) in FL with Unklebob and never want to see it, much less hear it, again. I'm done with him permanently.

Dusty Chalk
07-16-2005, 08:52 PM
I'll second that Electrelane, Axes -- definitely a favourite.

I'd also have to put something from Black Mountain on there, if I was you. (But I'm not, so don't.)

I also really like Supersystem(formerly El Guapo)'s Always Never Again.

I don't know what else.

Stone
07-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Okkervil River, Sleater-Kinney, Andrew Bird, Of Montreal, MIA

chrisnz
07-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Something pastoral like Hood's - 1. fading hills and something urban like Roots Manuva - Mind to motion. And, just to cheat, another call for M.I.A probably Galang but I do have a soft spot for Hombre.

Davey
07-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Something pastoral like Hood's - 1. fading hills
Yeah, I'm definitely starting to see that latest Hood CD in my future. That last one worked almost the same magic on me as Neon Golden. Just more melancholy and not quite as diverse, but very nice flow to it.

Was listening to the latest Decemberists this morning and I'll have to include a call out for "The Engine Driver" on my virtual Half Gone. Kind of like a new take on "Wichita Lineman", and the way he delivers that chorus, "And if you don't love me, let me go", with just a tiny backing vocal by (I think) Petra Haden always sounds just so right ...

And I am a writer,
writer of fictions,
I am the heart that you call home.
And I've written pages upon pages
trying to rid you from my bones,
my bones, my bones.

chrisnz
07-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely starting to see that latest Hood CD in my future. That last one worked almost the same magic on me as Neon Golden. Just more melancholy and not quite as diverse, but very nice flow to it.

That's freaky, I was just seeing the Hood CD in your future too :-) There's probably some other stuff lying around here as well...

Whoops, gotta go wave at aeroplanes.

ForeverAutumn
07-19-2005, 07:45 AM
I would have to say that one of my favourites of 2005 so far is The Kaiser Chiefs, Employment. I am sooooo digging this disk. It's very XTCish. In fact, I can easily picture a few of the tracks on Black Sea. They just have that sound to them.

Love it. Love it. Love it. :D

audiobill
07-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Out of the recent batch of releases I've heard (must say fairly limited, so far), I'm really digging Xiu Xiu's latest:

Xiu Xiu "La Foret".

I should warn first-timers that if you like the music of people like Bright Eyes, you will probably like this album, but if Bright Eyes annoys the #%!k out of you, then you should avoid this one.

Standout tracks, for me, are "Bog People" and one you'd like Davey "Ale".

This one's a grower that gets better with each listen.

For what it's worth,
Bill

Davey
07-21-2005, 10:32 AM
I would have to say that one of my favourites of 2005 so far is The Kaiser Chiefs, Employment. I am sooooo digging this disk. It's very XTCish. In fact, I can easily picture a few of the tracks on Black Sea. They just have that sound to them.

Love it. Love it. Love it. :D
Yeah, what I heard is really good. Mike sent me a bunch of songs for me to choose from for the CRSV10 and the Kaiser Chiefs track was high on my list, probably #2. Decided to go with the Bloc Party since I knew it was a very strong album and had only heard the one Kaiser Chiefs song and had read that the album wasn't too consistent, although you obviously feel differently about that. They do have a great sound. Did you catch any of the Futureheads love some of us had going last year? Also very XTC sounding. Lots of fun, but I think I might've liked it a lot more than most. The only problem with that type of music for me, and this goes for early XTC as well, is that it just doesn't hold up real well to lots of repeat listens and doesn't sound as good to me as when I was in my 20s. Still, I do really like that quirky new wave Beatlesy sound mixed with dance punk. But I loved it a lot more when it got a little darker and hard hitting, like Gang of Four and the Clash and some of the others.

ForeverAutumn
07-22-2005, 05:19 AM
Yeah, what I heard is really good. Mike sent me a bunch of songs for me to choose from for the CRSV10 and the Kaiser Chiefs track was high on my list, probably #2. Decided to go with the Bloc Party since I knew it was a very strong album and had only heard the one Kaiser Chiefs song and had read that the album wasn't too consistent, although you obviously feel differently about that. They do have a great sound. Did you catch any of the Futureheads love some of us had going last year? Also very XTC sounding. Lots of fun, but I think I might've liked it a lot more than most. The only problem with that type of music for me, and this goes for early XTC as well, is that it just doesn't hold up real well to lots of repeat listens and doesn't sound as good to me as when I was in my 20s. Still, I do really like that quirky new wave Beatlesy sound mixed with dance punk. But I loved it a lot more when it got a little darker and hard hitting, like Gang of Four and the Clash and some of the others.

I can see where some people might feel that the disk isn't consistant. It does have a bit of an ecclectic feel to it in that the song styles vary throughout the disk. But that's actually one of the things that I like about it. Unlike the Redwalls disk, it means that there isn't time for me to get bored.

I never did pick up that Futureheads disk despite your constant raves. I went the Snow Patrol route instead. ;) But perhaps I'll check it out now. And I definately need to start revisiting some of the original 80's sounds that actually came out in the 80's. More XTC I think, and some Clash and Kinks for sure.

I'm stuck in that age old dilemma of too much music, too little time.

Davey
07-22-2005, 07:22 AM
I can see where some people might feel that the disk isn't consistant. It does have a bit of an ecclectic feel to it in that the song styles vary throughout the disk. But that's actually one of the things that I like about it. Unlike the Redwalls disk, it means that there isn't time for me to get bored.

I never did pick up that Futureheads disk despite your constant raves. I went the Snow Patrol route instead. ;) But perhaps I'll check it out now. And I definately need to start revisiting some of the original 80's sounds that actually came out in the 80's. More XTC I think, and some Clash and Kinks for sure.

I'm stuck in that age old dilemma of too much music, too little time.
Hmmm, the Kaiser Chiefs song that Mike sent me is "Modern Way" and it really doesn't sound anything like XTC, but I have read that comparison. Sounds a lot like The Jam, but I'm only talking about the style since some of those turn of the 80s bands were talented way beyond their years and still make a lot of this new music sound disposable. Not that I don't like a bunch of it, but I realize it's just a passing fancy for me, at best. No one will remember the Kaiser Chiefs in 2010 (or Franz Ferdinand or the Futureheads or Snow Patrol or most of the rest). But they're still fun for the now. I know there's a lot of people like your husband (and on this board) that dismiss much of the new new wave because of the been there done that sound, and admittedly I do that sometimes too when it's a style that I never really liked, but much of it I still think of as fun and entertaining. And sometimes even original, in its own way :)

The Kinks heyday was the late 60s and early 70s, but yeah, definitely spend a bunch of time there if you like the sound. You can spend months, and even years, just getting to know one of their albums, like Village Green or Arthur. They really do have a storybook quality, with solid images and interwoven themes.

Too much music for me too. Still tryig to catch up on al the bonus stuff I got for CRS. Tons of fun music. Just gave that Thrills album you sent me a spin a couple days ago for the first time! And it is really good! And Jar sent me a great comp that I just got around to. And so many others ....

Slosh
07-22-2005, 10:52 AM
I just picked up Son Volt - Okemah And The Melody Of Riot and am on my first spin. So far, so good. This is my first DualDisc. I actually intended to buy just the plain old CD version but this store only had the DualDisc in stock, and only one copy at that. Anyway, the CD side does play just fine in all of my CD players (including car, computer drives, and DVD players) and the DVD side plays perfectly on all of my DVD players/drives as well. The packaging says the DVD side is in "enhanced stereo" :rolleyes: but it's just 48/16. I've got some standard-format concert DVDs that are in 48/24 or 48/20 and make no special mention of better-than-CD audio. Nevertheless it sounds pretty good on either side but with it being manufactured by Sony BMG I can't help but wonder if it will be out on SACD someday.

Hmmm, well so far it sounds like Son Volt of old but that's a good thing :)