07-15-2005, 07:08 PM
Watch me build it here!
http://www.chuckamuck.com/ht :D

nick4433
07-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Sweet. Looking forward to completion.

N. Abstentia
07-16-2005, 12:50 PM
You and me both, brother! Probably not as much as my wife though...my equipment has taken over the living room :)

PAT.P
07-16-2005, 02:44 PM
You and me both, brother! Probably not as much as my wife though...my equipment has taken over the living room :)
N.Abstentia All the best ,at least you have the room to expand .Our house takes most of our 27x100 lot.Nice looking footing ,not adding basement ?Pat.P

N. Abstentia
07-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Nah, no basement. I'm doing good to pay for the room as it it :)

Plus here in the south, basements are unheard of!

PAT.P
07-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Nah, no basement. I'm doing good to pay for the room as it it :)

Did'nt know that.I know I dump everything in basement.When money permited would like to add Home Theater in it .Let us posted on your work.Are you building this projet by yourself .Pat.P

popolz
07-16-2005, 07:10 PM

I heard if you guys in the south dig a 2-3' hole you'll get water?

I couldn't live without a basement :eek: :D

congrats on the HT room :)

N. Abstentia
07-17-2005, 08:44 AM
I'm not doing it all by myself, both my father-in-law and my brother-in-law do this stuff for a living so they are doing all the stuff that needs to be done right, so it's a family effort! It's nice having them available, they just finished adding on a bedroom for my wife..now it's my turn :)

popolz that thing about the water might be true in the lowlands sure enough! If you go to Charleston you'll see that most homes not only don't have basements, but they are built 3-4 feet up off the ground!

My parents have the only basement around here that I know of, and that's because they lived in the north all their life and built their house when they moved here. I love a basement too, but I hate a basement flood!

Tarheel_
07-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Watch me build it here!
http://www.chuckamuck.com/ht :D

wow, that's exciting stuff....i plan to do one in my basement within the next 12 months.

Have you 'planned ahead' about stuff like lighting, 7.1 speaker wires, video source, soundproofing, bass shakers, elect. outlet locations, etc.?

i'm interested because i'm trying to think ahead myself.

N. Abstentia
07-18-2005, 06:32 PM
I've got everything on that list planned out except bass shakers...they've never really done anything for me. They were cool when I had my first pair back in the 80's but I've never seen a need for them. My Paradigm Servo 15 will rock the couch far more than any bass shaker :)

I will do track lighting for sure.

I will wire for 7.1 but I doubt I will use it. I don't like the fact that the side surrounds are the main surrounds and to me that defeats the purpose.

Video source = bigass projection screen!

Soundproofing - floor will be concrete and will install panel insulation and double drywall.

Outlet locations..taken care of. I'll probably end up with an outlet on every 3rd stud.

Tarheel_
07-19-2005, 05:00 AM
sounds like you've done your research. since i'll be dealing with a concrete floor as well, i've read where people create a false floor to increase bass output. Ever looked into that?

Your right on the bass, the servo is a monster and should shake things up.

Will your track lighting be on a dimmer? I assume so....why track lighting over canned lights (that fit in the ceiling and mount flush? just curious.

Where do you plan to put all your components?
What colors are you using?
sorry for all the questions, but like i said, i'm researching myself.

GMichael
07-19-2005, 05:27 AM
hmm... Looks like a dream taking form. Keep taking those pictures.

Worf101
07-19-2005, 06:14 AM
you ARE starting from scratch. Interesting. What are the dimensions of this room again? I'd hate to be building anything this summer. Good luck and keep us apprised.

Da "I'm gettin' jealous again" Worfster :D

PAT.P
07-19-2005, 08:03 AM
[QUOTE=N. Abstentia]I'm not doing it all by myself, both my father-in-law and my brother-in-law do this stuff for a living so they are doing all the stuff that needs to be done right, so it's a family effort! It's nice having them available, they just finished adding on a bedroom for my wife..now it's my turn :)
__________________________________________________ ________________________N.Abstentia Its nice to have a family to help.My roof just gave up on me so my brother and nephews are going to help.Keep us posted on pics .Are you adding picture window in room or skylight on roof ?Pat.P

N. Abstentia
07-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Worf..the room is 18' x 30'

Tarheel..forgot the question about the false floor. I thought about it. But I like the solid feel of concrete and it does not vibrate. I just don't think I could handle the floating floor all the time. Plus with a floating floor there's always the problems with 'footfalls' when playing the turntable! I have a major problem with that right now with my TT in the living room. Just walking around makes the turntable skip sometimes.

Tarheel_
07-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Yeah I'll have a dimmer for sure. But you know, I never considered canned lights..I just had track lighting in my head from day one..I'll look intot the canned lighting as they would be much cleaner and would not interfere with the projector if I put them in front of it. Good idea..thanks!

All my components will be on a side wall pretty much adjacent to the seating position. I want the front clean, and since my front Paradigms are self powered I'd rather have a longer run of preamp cable and a shorter run of video cable to the projector and speaker cables to the rear speakers.

I think I'll be using a dark red for the walls, and I'm not sure about the ceiling. Maybe an off white? I don't want it too bright but I'm afraid a black ceiling would give it a 'Moe's Tavern' feel :)

"Ahhhh Moe, the dank..THE DANK!.."

yeah, i think you'll be much happier with canned lights. You may also want to invest is a few sconances (not sure of spelling) on the side walls. Canned lights help when watching TV or a full day of football...then the turn them off and use the sconances on a dimmer for movie watching. They shine light upward so not to distract.

black ceiling is a tough one...great for movies, but too dark for all else.

I've got a few good websites you may want to visit. Like i said, i've been researching for years on my basement HT.

cables to go (http://www.cablestogo.com/index.asp?) good cables for low prices. Where else can you buy 50' conponent cable for under $50?

a home theater (http://webpages.charter.net/buddy3/ht.html) I really like this theater
HT (http://www.jaytorborg.com/home_theater_main.htm) good sight

N. Abstentia
07-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Will your track lighting be on a dimmer? I assume so....why track lighting over canned lights (that fit in the ceiling and mount flush? just curious.

Where do you plan to put all your components?
What colors are you using?
sorry for all the questions, but like i said, i'm researching myself.

Yeah I'll have a dimmer for sure. But you know, I never considered canned lights..I just had track lighting in my head from day one..I'll look intot the canned lighting as they would be much cleaner and would not interfere with the projector if I put them in front of it. Good idea..thanks!

All my components will be on a side wall pretty much adjacent to the seating position. I want the front clean, and since my front Paradigms are self powered I'd rather have a longer run of preamp cable and a shorter run of video cable to the projector and speaker cables to the rear speakers.

I think I'll be using a dark red for the walls, and I'm not sure about the ceiling. Maybe an off white? I don't want it too bright but I'm afraid a black ceiling would give it a 'Moe's Tavern' feel :)

"Ahhhh Moe, the dank..THE DANK!.."

kexodusc
07-20-2005, 09:12 AM
I have a dark red room with white ceiling. The white ceiling doesn't hurt at all, in fact I find it actually helps with a bigger screen. Your projector will be more sensitive to light in the room, but at the same time, the sharp contrast of dark walls and brightly lit screen is tamed down a bit by having a brighter ceiling.

Are you planning on carpeting the concrete floor or just leaving it bare?

Tarheel_
07-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Are you planning on carpeting the concrete floor or just leaving it bare?

Kex, which did you go with? I never thought about leaving the floor concrete. Wouldn't that leave too much cold air to seep through? Also, thinking the room with a concrete floor needs carpet to reduce reflection and help overall sound?

Interesting thought....sure would save money and make clean-up quick and painless. I guess you can just paint it any color too. Hummmm

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-20-2005, 11:07 AM
IMO a dark ceiling is not entirely necessary though helpful. I have black/blackout curtains on one wall which is really covering a large window, and identical one on the left wall just to make sure each speaker "see's" a identical environmen.I have a black and grey area carpet on the floor covering the entire width of the television. I find that this eleminates most of the light from reflecting back on the television.

kexodusc
07-20-2005, 12:32 PM
My first HT room in my last home had carpet...It might have reduced reflections, but at the same time it deadened (is that a word) the room down too much IMO...it wasn't think carpet either, just a nice thin berber.

My new HT room is downstairs on a concrete floor. I installed some of that laminate flooring down there (pretty neat stuff by the way) and put up some walls and stuff in a hurry. Wow...the room was quite lively...I've since put a large area rug perpendicular to the TV/front speakers, and there's a twin rug in the back of the room....it captures the reflections and is perfect for me. I experimented with 2 other rugs I have, didn't hear a difference with the bulk of the floor covered...I'm using chairs, drapes/blinds, and furniture to tame relfection points for now...that could be improved.

For the week or two I had concrete I found it pretty lively, I'd finish the flooring for aesthetic reasons (and to keep your feet warm). But it wasn't as bad as the harder, smoother surface.

N. Abstentia
07-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Yeah I'll be putting a thin carpet down, something with rubber backing made for concrete floors.

I'll probably just go with an off white ceiling since it looks like most agree that a bright ceiling is not a problem.

PAT.P
07-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Yeah I'll be putting a thin carpet down, something with rubber backing made for concrete floors.

I'll probably just go with an off white ceiling since it looks like most agree that a bright ceiling is not a problem.
N.Abstentia How the framing coming along ? Its the weekend ,time to get busy. :) Pat.P

kfalls
07-25-2005, 04:57 AM
You may want to be careful with light dimmers. Some may introduce noise into your system.