Attn: Davey, Slosh & JC regarding my burner troubles. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Davey, Slosh & JC regarding my burner troubles.

Swish
01-04-2004, 03:39 PM
I think all three of you responded or at least are aware of the problems I am having with my TDK Velocd burner recenty. Following Davey's advice to burn at a slower speed is working for me. I started at 4X and worked my way up to 12X and that's as far as I can go with out having the thing freeze up on me. I have to manually shut down the PC as the program won't quit no matter what I do.

Anyway, what I just discovered is that the burner is skipping on play back, so that's probably why it's having trouble burning at the higher speed. Perhaps a good cleaning with compressed air will make a difference. I rarely listen to cds on my PC these days so it was just a coincidence that I played one today while fooling around in my office. It happened to be a cd that I had just copied, so I immediately realized that the problem was probably a dirty lens in the burner. I put that same cd in my regular player to make sure, and it played flawlessly.

I don't know if the cleaning will fix things, but it's worth a shot. Otherwise, this thing is going in the garbage after less than one year. Good thing it was cheap! I think it was less than $50 after rebates.

Anyhoot, I figured you might find that interesting and perhaps it will solve a problem for someone in the future.

Swishster.

Jim Clark
01-05-2004, 07:40 AM
I think all three of you responded or at least are aware of the problems I am having with my TDK Velocd burner recenty. Following Davey's advice to burn at a slower speed is working for me. I started at 4X and worked my way up to 12X and that's as far as I can go with out having the thing freeze up on me. I have to manually shut down the PC as the program won't quit no matter what I do.

Swishster.

Yeah, I wouldn't even know what's up with a nightmare problem like that. One thing I'd try as a last resort would be to flash the firmware if the cleaning doens't get thing working the way it should.

My only problem right now is that for some unknown reason I have lost Nero completely. For both the Pioneer and the TDK I only have Nero Express and I really don't like it much at all. I'll download the full trial version but it looks like I'm going to end up shelling out 80 bucks for it and I'm not wild about that. I've tried Feurio again but that piece of crap is just too dang complicated for me.

Stoopid burners!

jc