Weaving my ancestors voices [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Weaving my ancestors voices

Davey
07-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Sounds like that would make a cool name for an album. Wait, it is a cool name for an album! Sheila Chandra. She's not the subject of this post, but just kind of a tangent since the title came to my mind when I thought about posting what is coming next. But as long as I'm mentioning Sheila and her Ancestors album, boy is that Ever So Lonely / Eyes / Ocean a cool piece of singing .....

I was listening to the stunning song "The Trials Of Harrison Hayes" this morning by the Willard Grant Conspiracy from Regard The End, which includes a very poignant use of "borrowed" poetry, in this case a slight expanding and rephrasing of one of the well-known Eliphaz Proverbs from the book of Job ...

<i>Misery doesn't come from the earth
Trouble doesn't sprout from the ground
People are born to trouble
Just as sparks fly upwards into the clouds</i>

Always loved that "sparks fly upwards" image. And in turn it made me think of another case that I also really like and have posted about before, and used on a comp or three, "Metal Heart" by Cat Power from Moon Pix. I love the way she weaves the lines from "Amazing Grace" in with her own words ...

<i>I once was lost but now I'm found
was blind but now I see
How selfish of you to believe in the meaning of all the bad dreams

Metal heart you're not hiding
Metal heart you're not worth a thing
</i>

Sounds like it was written for that song, especially when she delivers it with that dusky, forlorn voice. Nice stuff. Perfect albums for a dark, rainy day. The Moon Pix album has the sound of thunder high overhead during one of my favorite songs, "Say", which along with "Back of Your Head", bookends "Metal Heart", and forms what I think of as the album core. Not exactly hot fun in the summer time, though :)

Lots of examples around of artists that incorporate tired, overused cliches (or redundant adjectives, like tired and overused :)) in place of their own imaginative thoughts, but not many that manage to make a song feel both meaningful and evocative within a familiar setting. What about some of your favorites? Think of any? Or any other silly Friday Song of the Day thoughts?

Slosh
07-15-2005, 04:40 PM
I was listening to the stunning song "The Trials Of Harrison Hayes" this morning by the Willard Grant Conspiracy from Regard The End, which includes a very poignant use of "borrowed" poetry, in this case a slight expanding and rephrasing of one of the well-known Eliphaz Proverbs from the book of Job ...
I really have to try giving that album a serious listen. Whenever I put it on I always seem to be in the mood to hear something else. But don't think I'm writing it off just yet. I finally began giving Steve Wynn's Here Comes The Miracles another chance and it's just now starting to seep in so there's still some hope for me and WGC.

Davey
07-15-2005, 05:51 PM
I really have to try giving that album a serious listen. Whenever I put it on I always seem to be in the mood to hear something else. But don't think I'm writing it off just yet. I finally began giving Steve Wynn's Here Comes The Miracles another chance and it's just now starting to seep in so there's still some hope for me and WGC.
Geezer music. Keep listening to "mature" music like that and pretty soon you'll look as old as Swisherooney Baby!

Haven't quite had the same epiphany as you yet with <i>Face The Truth [Pavement Was Better Than I'll Ever Be Again]</i>, but it is a nice album. Just doesn't quite get my propellor spinning at top speed. Still fresh, and still lots of time. Thanks. Soon, the Greks bearing gifts shall arrive ... at a post office near you ... beware.

Slosh
07-15-2005, 06:12 PM
[Pavement Was Better Than I'll Ever Be Again]You're entitled to your wrong opinion :o

Oh, and thanks (I think) ;)